Dangermouse resurrected?

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Digifiend

Dangermouse resurrected?

Post by Digifiend »

FremantleMedia is planning to make a new Dangermouse series after a classic episode got fantastic viewing figures on the CITV Old Skool Weekend in January.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 7494,d.ZWU

The Google link by the way is to bypass Broadcast's paywall.

Digital Spy has followed up the news by suggesting other old kids shows that should make a comeback... including Bananaman. There's a video attached to the article.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a46 ... eturn.html

Marionette

Re: Dangermouse resurrected?

Post by Marionette »

No mention of Thunderbirds in an article about old kids' shows? Is that even legal?!?
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

Dangermouse? Wasn't he the one with the pointy nose and black skivvy who punched cats in Smash?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Yep - but that was the Earth 2 version! :wink:

Here's his debut from Smash! no.3

- Phil R.

johnny_jane

Post by johnny_jane »

Nothing against Dangermouse but they seem to reboot everything and anything these days... Whatever happened to new ideas and creativity?

BeanoMaster

Post by BeanoMaster »

Dangermouse has been confirmed for 2015 on CBBC! And one of the original cast is back! Let's hope David Jason comes back!

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27876300

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I don't mind things being "rebooted" if they're done well (and as Dangermouse was kind of timeless, this might simply be new stories!).
One of these days I'll get around to the CGI Captain Scarlet and Dan Dare shows. Mind you, I bet those aren't as good as the originals.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I think re making Dangermouse is sacriledge!

One of the best things about DM was the competition between voices between David Jason and the late Terry Scott. That can never be recreated (and David Jason would sound a lot older now that he did then perhaps if asked back).

I wonder if Edward Kelsey who voiced Greenback is still alive?

I agree it just shows the lack of new ideas on TV today just doing poor re-boots. And especially when it comes to children's TV which is today a very poor neglected shadow of itself unlike in 1981 when DM debuted when it was in award winning rude health.

Will say the CGI remake of Captain Scarlet was quite good; though those who liked the original will very likely prefer the original.
The CGI might've been a bigger success had ITV not mis-scheduled it, by having it lost amongst the Saturday morning gunge and shouting of MInsitry of Mayhem.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Edward Kelsey is still alive, and as of quite recently at least (I haven't heard it in awhile) was still playing Joe Grundy in The Archers.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

One thing that prompted the re- make was the great viewing figues DM got when shown on an 80's nostalgia day on CITV.

Can't understand why a digital channel devoted to old Children's Tv programs (including stuff made in balc & white) isn't set up. Would be most profitable.

Should replace existing kid's tv cahnnels; make them realise what good Tv is, with no product placement. And only operate it in eveniong so kids learn about deferred gratification.

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

DavidKW wrote:One thing that prompted the re- make was the great viewing figues DM got when shown on an 80's nostalgia day on CITV.

Can't understand why a digital channel devoted to old Children's Tv programs (including stuff made in balc & white) isn't set up. Would be most profitable.

Should replace existing kid's tv cahnnels; make them realise what good Tv is, with no product placement. And only operate it in eveniong so kids learn about deferred gratification.
I agree that there should be a retro kids TV channel, but I don't think it should replace existing kids' TV channels. It's like getting rid of The Beano and replacing it with a reprint comic. We don't need creativity stifled for the sake of celebrating things of the past. There are good cartoons being produced at the moment which don't involve any product placement. It's not all Johnny Test and Victorious all the time. It was far worse in the second half of the eighties where virtually every kids' cartoon was based on a game, merchandise line or other license. And even the ones that weren't were often created by focus groups rather than animators.

There have been retro spin-off channels for Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon made in the past, but sadly each of them lasted only a year. However, I don't think it was their content that made them unsuccessful, but rather the fact that there was almost no attempt to publicise them. (though I also think that the Nickelodeon one suffered from not showing Rocko's Modern Life, and showed The Wild Thornberrys far too much.)

Both of those retro channels are now timeshift variants of the regular channels, which I find somewhat confusing. In the age of recordable telly and on-demand services, timeshift channels ought to be extinct.

Also I don't think that having it only available in the evening would be very profitable, seeing as the non-24-hour kids' channels tend to close down in the evening. If the retro channel was a 24-hour or 7-till-7 fare, then it would mean that more kids would be likely to watch it, and if nothing else would mean daytime television that is worth watching.
Last update to http://comiccentral.jimdo.com: 7/4/2011

Sammy Shrink, Korky, Dennis and the Dandy all updated
Beryl the Peril Page Added
Navigation altered

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Boomerang, the retro spin-off channel from Cartoon Network, is still alive and well, but its content has changed. It now carries some live action shows such as My Spy Family, but it's still mainly 40s-90s cartoons plus reruns of newer shows such as the wonderful Foster's home for imaginary friends.

I think that timeshift services live on for the benefit of companies who cannot afford to provide on-demand services or to pay for the licensing for "view again" facilities - I think the intention is also that if you tune into a given channel and find you've just missed a show, you get another chance to see (or record) it on the timeshift, especially since you need a second digital box to be able to watch one channel and record another in the same house.

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

AndyB wrote:Boomerang, the retro spin-off channel from Cartoon Network, is still alive and well, but its content has changed. It now carries some live action shows such as My Spy Family, but it's still mainly 40s-90s cartoons plus reruns of newer shows such as the wonderful Foster's home for imaginary friends.
Whilst I think that's how Boomerang was around 2010 or so, the content style seems to have changed again. They still show Tom and Jerry and the Looney Tunes (and presumably the original Scooby Doo) from time to time but they seem to mostly show spin-offs like Tom and Jerry Tales and Pink Panther and Pals which, despite being well-intentioned (in that they don't try and bring the characters into contrived modern scenarios) they seem to suffer from the fact that they just aren't very funny.

Some of the spin-offs aren't bad, such as the Looney Tunes Show, which puts the Looney Tunes characters into a sitcom-type set-up. It's certainly a whole lot better than a lot of Looney Tunes spin-offs that I've seen in the past. Though it would be nice if they showed a bit more retro stuff so that its name doesn't become something of an artefact.

I suppose you're right re: timeshift channels.
Last update to http://comiccentral.jimdo.com: 7/4/2011

Sammy Shrink, Korky, Dennis and the Dandy all updated
Beryl the Peril Page Added
Navigation altered

Nagorama

Post by Nagorama »

philcom55 wrote:Yep - but that was the Earth 2 version! :wink:

- Phil R.
He looks nothing like the animated version :shock: except maybe for the logo.

dishes

Post by dishes »

Nagorama wrote:
philcom55 wrote:Yep - but that was the Earth 2 version! :wink:

- Phil R.
He looks nothing like the animated version :shock: except maybe for the logo.
As no-one else has explained...
It's two unrelated characters who happen to share the same name.