Nuts Magazine Closes

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Post Reply
big bad bri
Posts: 1757
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 15:50

Nuts Magazine Closes

Post by big bad bri »

Not a Comic i know but the death of yet more printed comics/mags is cause for concern. (Damn You internet :lol: ) Even their website has shut down,I never bought the mag but my brother did buy the odd issue & i cant help feeling Co-op's insistence on the mag being placed in modesty bags last year contributed to its demise somehow along with the net.
I used to buy a load of scifi mags dvd mags etc & they are all gone yet their is quite a few tv guides floating around when it used to be only tv & Radio times back in the day.Icant help feeling that all print weekly mags /comics will be confined to the history books within the next decade :(

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: Nuts Magazine Closes

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote: I used to buy a load of scifi mags dvd mags etc & they are all gone yet their is quite a few tv guides floating around when it used to be only tv & Radio times back in the day.Icant help feeling that all print weekly mags /comics will be confined to the history books within the next decade :(
There's still a healthy number of magazines on the shelves though. Titles come and go, just as they always have, depending on the tastes of the times.

When you say sci fi mags, do you mean the ones featuring prose stories? Most of those ended decades ago although Interzone is still going, and Analog is still imported to newsagents.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

big bad bri
Posts: 1757
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 15:50

Re: Nuts Magazine Closes

Post by big bad bri »

I should have said Cult & sci fi mags in the vein of SFX more along the lines of movies /shows like tv zone,cult tv magazine,dvd review,buffy & the hot tv shows at the time,Numerous computer game mags many i collected have fallen by the wayside & i know mags come & go & i can't believe some of the mags i have seen on the shelves like numerous cat & dog horse mags & farming etc which i cant imagine sell a lot.

User avatar
philcom55
Posts: 5170
Joined: 14 Jun 2006, 11:56

Re: Nuts Magazine Closes

Post by philcom55 »

Fortunately printing overheads tend to be much lower nowadays. If comics and magazines had to attain the sort of circulations that used to be their break-even point the shelves in Smiths would be virtually empty.

- Phil R.

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5348
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Nuts Magazine Closes

Post by Phoenix »

big bad bri wrote:Icant help feeling that all print weekly mags /comics will be confined to the history books within the next decade :(
If the internet is dealing the death blow to the printed word, Bri, how can you be that confident that history books will not go the same way as the magazines and comics? :lol:

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5348
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Nuts Magazine Closes

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:If comics and magazines had to attain the sort of circulations that used to be their break-even point the shelves in Smiths would be virtually empty.
Given that scenario, Phil, at least The Beano wouldn't any longer be hidden behind, in ascending order of quality, Top Gear, TV Times, Peppa Pig and Charlie and Lola, and consequently, with such visibility, sales of The Beano will increase exponentially, so reversing the trend that Bri foresees. :)

big bad bri
Posts: 1757
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 15:50

Re: Nuts Magazine Closes

Post by big bad bri »

Phoenix wrote:
philcom55 wrote:If comics and magazines had to attain the sort of circulations that used to be their break-even point the shelves in Smiths would be virtually empty.
Given that scenario, Phil, at least The Beano wouldn't any longer be hidden behind, in ascending order of quality, Top Gear, TV Times, Peppa Pig and Charlie and Lola, and consequently, with such visibility, sales of The Beano will increase exponentially, so reversing the trend that Bri foresees. :)
Surely i cant be the only one that forsees the death of the printed word,in weekly /fortnightly format at least maybe after i'm dead but surely its gonna come :lol: ,not that i want it to as i cant read comics on pc or ipad :( ,I will never embrace it.

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: Nuts Magazine Closes

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:I should have said Cult & sci fi mags in the vein of SFX more along the lines of movies /shows like tv zone,cult tv magazine,dvd review,buffy & the hot tv shows at the time,Numerous computer game mags many i collected have fallen by the wayside & i know mags come & go & i can't believe some of the mags i have seen on the shelves like numerous cat & dog horse mags & farming etc which i cant imagine sell a lot.
There are still cult mags such SFX, Starburst, Sci-Fi Now, Doctor Who Magazine, Walking Dead, Star Trek, Dark Side, Star Wars.... Perhaps more, but they're the ones I can remember seeing in Smiths the other day.

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: Nuts Magazine Closes

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote: Surely i cant be the only one that forsees the death of the printed word,in weekly /fortnightly format at least maybe after i'm dead but surely its gonna come :lol: ,not that i want it to as i cant read comics on pc or ipad :( ,I will never embrace it.
Well everything ends eventually! :lol:

If it's not a personal question, why can't you read comics on your computer Bri? Surely if you can read strips on this forum and various blogs, you can read them as digital comics?

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5348
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Nuts Magazine Closes

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:If it's not a personal question, why can't you read comics on your computer Bri?
I suspect that Bri means that he just doesn't want to, rather than that he can't. I'm the same with books. I will never buy a Kindle. Where comics, story papers and books are concerned, I want to read the paper format. I could just about be persuaded to buy a portable DVD player to watch films on long train journeys, but a good novel is what I currently turn to on such journeys when I have finished The Guardian, and I can't really see that changing in the foreseeable future.

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: Nuts Magazine Closes

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:If it's not a personal question, why can't you read comics on your computer Bri?
I suspect that Bri means that he just doesn't want to, rather than that he can't. I'm the same with books. I will never buy a Kindle. Where comics, story papers and books are concerned, I want to read the paper format. I could just about be persuaded to buy a portable DVD player to watch films on long train journeys, but a good novel is what I currently turn to on such journeys when I have finished The Guardian, and I can't really see that changing in the foreseeable future.
I think the paper format will outlive most of us on this forum. Admittedly some titles are exclusively digital, but it's doubtful those would be published in paper form anyway as the overheads would make it unfeasible.

User avatar
ISPYSHHHGUY
Posts: 4275
Joined: 14 Oct 2007, 13:05
Location: BLITZVILLE, USA

Re: Nuts Magazine Closes

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Last time I saw Nuts Magazine was in ASDA: it, and other mags of this ilk---were mostly covered up to hide the naked female flesh on display on the front covers.

Must admit though, if I was 10 years old, I'd probably be intruiged by this 'forbidden imagery': why is it being hidden from me?

User avatar
johnfreeman96
Posts: 115
Joined: 18 May 2006, 17:31
Location: Lancaster
Contact:

Re: Nuts Magazine Closes

Post by johnfreeman96 »

Lew Stringer wrote:
big bad bri wrote: I used to buy a load of scifi mags dvd mags etc & they are all gone yet their is quite a few tv guides floating around when it used to be only tv & Radio times back in the day.Icant help feeling that all print weekly mags /comics will be confined to the history books within the next decade :(
There's still a healthy number of magazines on the shelves though. Titles come and go, just as they always have, depending on the tastes of the times.

When you say sci fi mags, do you mean the ones featuring prose stories? Most of those ended decades ago although Interzone is still going, and Analog is still imported to newsagents.
Magazine publishing is pretty cut throat. Simply getting a magazine onto the stand (ie for Smiths to consider having it in their shops for you to sell copies) costs a minimum of £3000. Then there's printing on top of that, the major cost of any publication (the actual editorial costs are proportionately smaller). If you get it right and your sales exceed your overheads then good for you, but when there are hundreds of rivals out there, there's always something to take the place of a title that's fallen by the way side.

A lot of the magazines mentioned in this thread - SFX, Interzone, even Horse & Pony - survive because they are 'niche'. The publisher knows, roughly, that they'll continue to sell XX number of copies for the forseeable and budgets the editorial budget accordingly. It's a very different situation for the 'general' magazines - like NUTS. They depend on a high volume of sales not only because their costs are high (print run and paying to photograph all those models) but because the high sales justifies high ad costs, which is a revenue stream niche magazines don't benefit from, because of their low sales (they don;'t get many ads).

When I was at Marvel UK any advertising in Doctor Who Magazine was a bonus and was not a factor in the title's continued production. But if your sales start to fall and you can't charge big money for ad space, then the writing's on the wall.

The "lads mags" sector has been in decline for years. Why buy a magazine when you can get your fix of what Nuts had to offer at the click of a mouse?
John Freeman
British Comics News Blog: http://www.downthetubes.net 

big bad bri
Posts: 1757
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 15:50

Re: Nuts Magazine Closes

Post by big bad bri »

johnfreeman96 wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
big bad bri wrote:
The "lads mags" sector has been in decline for years. Why buy a magazine when you can get your fix of what Nuts had to offer at the click of a mouse?

Hmmmm! whatever can you mean ;) :censored: :lol:

Post Reply