Is eBay getting worse

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Post Reply
User avatar
Muffy
Posts: 343
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 17:14

Is eBay getting worse

Post by Muffy »

Has anyone else had trouble on Ebay either:

1) As a buyer with too many items non-delivered. Could be that my local London post area is just being very bad at deliveries.
or
2) As a seller with too many non-payers.

Since their password problem eBay seems to be getting worse.

User avatar
tony ingram
Posts: 1159
Joined: 12 May 2009, 18:20
Location: Suffolk, England
Contact:

Re: Is eBay getting worse

Post by tony ingram »

Muffy wrote:Has anyone else had trouble on Ebay either:

1) As a buyer with too many items non-delivered. Could be that my local London post area is just being very bad at deliveries.
or
2) As a seller with too many non-payers.

Since their password problem eBay seems to be getting worse.
As a seller, I've certainly had the latter problem. I seem to be opening about one unpaid item case per month these days. I don't understand why people bid on things if they don't want them.

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5334
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Is eBay getting worse

Post by Phoenix »

Muffy wrote:Has anyone else had trouble on Ebay either:
1) As a buyer with too many items non-delivered. Could be that my local London post area is just being very bad at deliveries.
I have never won an auction for, or bought, an item that didn't get delivered. The only thing that has bugged me recently is the increasing delay between my paying for it and the seller sending it.

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5334
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Is eBay getting worse

Post by Phoenix »

tony ingram wrote:I don't understand why people bid on things if they don't want them.
They do want them, Tony. I suspect that they get carried away in the bidding excitement, and then realise that they have allowed their enthusiasm to bid more than they can realistically afford.

User avatar
tony ingram
Posts: 1159
Joined: 12 May 2009, 18:20
Location: Suffolk, England
Contact:

Re: Is eBay getting worse

Post by tony ingram »

Phoenix wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I don't understand why people bid on things if they don't want them.
They do want them, Tony. I suspect that they get carried away in the bidding excitement, and then realise that they have allowed their enthusiasm to bid more than they can realistically afford.
I could understand that if we were talking exclusively about more expensive items, but I've actually had to chase someone for £1.50! (no, I'm not irredeemably petty, I just think there's a principle here: if ebay are charging me a seller fee, even of just a few pence, then the buyer either pays up or gets an unpaid item strike. I used to let it go sometimes if it was only a couple of quid, but it seems to happen a lot more often these days)

User avatar
standby4action
Posts: 137
Joined: 03 Mar 2007, 13:13
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Is eBay getting worse

Post by standby4action »

Interesting discussion. I have been a buyer since about 1999 (current profile says 2001) and sold a few bits and bobs over the years. I have only had a few parcels "go missing" and claimed the value (both as a buyer and seller), got the Post Office money and not felt it's a growing problem. It's certainly a pain when unique items that rarely come up disappear and I bought a bargain...but hey!

My issue is what a waste of time it all is now. There was excitement a few years back when things surfaced for the first time and we could all complete collections easily but the other day I browsed the UK comic section and found only 33 items for sale!

I would love a solution to my problem. I am de-cluttering (having seen what a load of rubbish my aged mother left for us kids to clear out of her house when she moved into a care Home). Some of the stuff is too comic specific to dump on charity shops. I wouldn't want to cover postage but otherwise I'd rather people like you guys and gals enjoyed them. Previously I have given stuff to a well known comic scanner who lived around here, but he has moved on so it's not easy to give him stuff for his (and others') enjoyment.

User avatar
tony ingram
Posts: 1159
Joined: 12 May 2009, 18:20
Location: Suffolk, England
Contact:

Re: Is eBay getting worse

Post by tony ingram »

standby4action wrote:Interesting discussion. I have been a buyer since about 1999 (current profile says 2001) and sold a few bits and bobs over the years. I have only had a few parcels "go missing" and claimed the value (both as a buyer and seller), got the Post Office money and not felt it's a growing problem. It's certainly a pain when unique items that rarely come up disappear and I bought a bargain...but hey!

My issue is what a waste of time it all is now. There was excitement a few years back when things surfaced for the first time and we could all complete collections easily but the other day I browsed the UK comic section and found only 33 items for sale!
How are you searching? There are never that few items for sale in that category. I currently have almost 200 items for sale in UK Comics & Annuals myself, and have done for weeks! A quick check of that category across ebay UK currently reveals 88, 454 results!

User avatar
standby4action
Posts: 137
Joined: 03 Mar 2007, 13:13
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Is eBay getting worse

Post by standby4action »

tony ingram wrote:How are you searching? There are never that few items for sale in that category. I currently have almost 200 items for sale in UK Comics & Annuals myself, and have done for weeks! A quick check of that category across ebay UK currently reveals 88, 454 results!
Tony, you're absolutely right! I was actually browsing rather than searching so should have seen the equivalent of 88,000 we see now. Can't explain it! Sorry, put it down to my undiagnosed dyscalculia! Maybe it's my subjective feelings about the lack of excitement!

dandy mad
Posts: 769
Joined: 19 Jun 2008, 00:28
Location: Leigh lancashire
Contact:

Re: Is eBay getting worse

Post by dandy mad »

Some sellers are good some need to be locked up as they are just con artists which is one of the main reasons I won't buy from feebay anymore and don't get me started on PayPal the robbing :censored:

User avatar
stevezodiac
Posts: 4696
Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Location: space city

Re: Is eBay getting worse

Post by stevezodiac »

My problem is entering the items on ebay. In the good old days you could list a "similar" item and the same category would present itself. Now you have to choose the category and subsequent sub categories for every single item. Also the "item specifics" ask for the country of manufacture which means scrolling down through hundreds of countries until you get to "United Kingdom" close to the bottom. Same goes for postage. It used to leave your previous postage rate and amount now you have to click on a postage type and enter the amount each time. But I have only had about three non payers out of the thousands I have sold to and I just relist the item.

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5334
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Is eBay getting worse

Post by Phoenix »

tony ingram wrote:I currently have almost 200 items for sale in UK Comics & Annuals myself, and have done for weeks!
What's your eBay username, Tony?

User avatar
tony ingram
Posts: 1159
Joined: 12 May 2009, 18:20
Location: Suffolk, England
Contact:

Re: Is eBay getting worse

Post by tony ingram »

Phoenix wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I currently have almost 200 items for sale in UK Comics & Annuals myself, and have done for weeks!
What's your eBay username, Tony?
tingramretro

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5334
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Is eBay getting worse

Post by Phoenix »

Thank you. I had assumed that I might well recognise it but I don't. You are probably just not currently advertising the kind of comics/story papers I am looking for.

User avatar
tony ingram
Posts: 1159
Joined: 12 May 2009, 18:20
Location: Suffolk, England
Contact:

Re: Is eBay getting worse

Post by tony ingram »

Phoenix wrote:Thank you. I had assumed that I might well recognise it but I don't. You are probably just not currently advertising the kind of comics/story papers I am looking for.
To be honest, I mostly use ebay to cheaply offload low end stuff. There's no point in trying to sell anything else on there because everybody's after ridiculous bargains these days and thinks they should be able to buy everything for a quid.

Post Reply