Introducing myself

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Ozzie

Introducing myself

Post by Ozzie »

Just to be polite, though I'd introduce myself. I'm a 40 year old Australian who used to read a lot of British comics back in the 1980s. I preferred to the American comics that were available - even as a kid, I was something of an Anglophile for some reason and I also liked reading about kids in schools, I think because my own time at school was fairly unhappy. I liked reading about schools that seemed happier places.

I used to buy whatever cover appealed to me that week as a kid - mostly Buster, Whizzer and Chips, I think - School Fun, during that brief run. I lost most of my comics in my teens when my mother decided I was too old for them and disposed of them, but I've managed to build up a small collection since. And bought a lot of the Classics from the Comics reprints when they were around a few years ago.

As an adult, I find myself drawn to the girl's comics more than any others, I think because of the more realistic artwork in some of them, and the more serialised stories. But I also have discovered I like Winker Watson and finally developed an appreciation for Desperate Dan.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Introducing myself

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

howdy doody, Ozzie!

what is the indigenous comics scene like in Australia, then?

JT Mirana

Re: Introducing myself

Post by JT Mirana »

Welcome, Ozzie!