I don't know what to call this thread

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

I don't know what to call this thread

Post by stevezodiac »

Excuse the self indulgence but every saturday I go to Deptford High Street and I recently found this nice picture of the high street on the internet probably from around 1970. Last summer I took a picture from the same viewpoint and, as you can see, not much as changed. Do other forum members derive comfort from things staying the same?

Incidentally the number 1 bus still runs down my way and Fantos was our local department store, it closed in the early eighties I think.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: I don't know what to call this thread

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Some things NEVER change, especially old-school architecture.

Nice

I someone from 1970 had asked me to describe this view almost 50 years into the future, I would likely have said:

'conveyor-belt-like moving pavements where you don't have to walk, jetcars and individual jetpacks used for travel as routine.

Stone buildings all gone in favour of some new miracle plastic building material.

Real holographic TV displays and huge visual displays in public.

The last ones about visual screens have become 'sort of' true or are at least getting there but there is no way I would have predicted the state of transport is as bad as we endure in 2017.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Round about 1963 my class was asked to write a composition describing the world of the future. From what I remember of my own effort I envisaged a scene of flying cars, personal jet-packs and gleaming skyscrapers joined by elevated monorails where the only old landmark remaining was the tower of Big Ben encased in a giant glass dome!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

That description appeals to me far more than the reality we have today, Phil!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Last summer I took a picture from the same viewpoint
Steve, is that your friend Steve in the colour photo wandering down the wrong side of the road, and having to stop at the zebra crossing to let that woman get across the road? It could be him, couldn't it? :)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Its not possible as I was sitting on his shoulders as I took the photo :)

If I really wanted to give an example of something that hasn't changed I could wander in the other direction and take a picture of The Tower of London which has changed very little in 900 years. Time for the Homes Under The Hammer team to step in?

Incidentally each Saturday as I sit on the bus bound for the high street, as I pass the Trinity Council Estate I suddenly think of Power Comics. In the 60s a lot of my schoolmates lived on this estate and one of them gave me a copy of Tales of Suspense with the very first Iron Man story (which I soon got rid of). But I don't know why Power Comics should jump into my mind at that spot. Obviously a subconscious thing.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:
Incidentally the number 1 bus still runs down my way and Fantos was our local department store, it closed in the early eighties I think.
I always loved the old Routemaster buses. They've been gone 12 years now!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My mate Steve is a London bus devotee and would tell you that the bus in that picture is not a routemaster but an RT.

Routemasters still run on one heritage route. Route 15 I think along the strand and fleet street.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:My mate Steve is a London bus devotee and would tell you that the bus in that picture is not a routemaster but an RT.

Routemasters still run on one heritage route. Route 15 I think along the strand and fleet street.

I stand corrected!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

As I did when he informed me a few years back. Incidentaly some routemasters are a little bit longer than others with an extra seating space. I love seeing them on old tv shows like The Sweeney and Persuaders.

Here's a picture of my favourite Routemaster:

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Now THERE'S a coincidence:

A mere three weeks ago, I selected a very similar older-styled bus from the 60s and early 70s to represent the old-school charm I was looking for in order to create a facebook banner for a group made up of folks who grew up in the area of Scotland I was also part of.

We had pea-soup green buses, like seen here.

This example is the only time I ever remember drawing a bus like this:

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I love Routemasters and always have a ride on the No. 15 when I'm in London. The first few times I visited 30th Century Comics, were on a Routemaster from nr. Piccadilly Circus all the way to Putney - and back.
There are a couple of old Routemasters in Edinburgh, used as tour or party buses. Mind, reading stevezodiac's note, perhaps they're not Routemasters, and maybe I've been mistaken all this time and I wasn't on one all those years ago :oops:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

"That's a very nice rendering, Dave."
Last edited by stevezodiac on 18 Jun 2017, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

paw broon wrote:The first few times I visited 30th Century Comics, were on a Routemaster from nr. Piccadilly Circus all the way to Putney - and back.
I trust the remainder were by underground trains to Putney Bridge. Oh, and I think Dave is Rab, Steve.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

its OK Steve, I also make loads of mistakes regarding spelling and names all over the Internet.

My excuse;

I DON'T GET PAID FOR TYPING THESE MESSAGES, SO DO NOT EXPECT PROFESSIONAL-LEVEL DICTION.