Howdy!

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Into The Abyss

Howdy!

Post by Into The Abyss »

Well hello all!

I'm, Into The Abyss. Big comic fan here. Been a collector since I was small kid.

In the late 70s early 80s used to go with the family to our school summer fate where me and by brother used to buy bundles of Beano, Dandy and broadsheet Topper comics...etc for 5p. Yes, those were the days when you could get a Beano comic and still have enough change to buy a Nutty Bar and Fanta Orange. 😎

Anyway, today being a tad older have more cash to play with , so invest in comics & art that's a little more pricey.

Got loads of Beano & Dandy comics from the 1940s. Some too from the late 1930s. And pages of original comic art from famous comic/magazine artists, besides all the other classic TV & sci-fi collectables, original film posters, and much much more...

PS. Do feel free to ask me what I've got. 👍
Well, hello there! :wave:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Howdy!

Post by colcool007 »

Oooh, original art. Let's see Abyss.

Oh and welcome to the fun house!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Hi colcool007. Nice to meet you friend. :)

As promised. The art owned below is taken from the "Hammer Halls of Horror" Magazine no' #23 from 1983. The art inked on board is from the cult 1980 Amicus film The Monster Club's compendium story, The Ghoul.

I purchased it directly from the man himself, John Bolton and his lovely wife. He not only did the Monster Club magazine art strip, but the animation for the film too. He kindly inscribed it for me. 8)

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

That’s a lovely page to own. John’s art is mesmerising.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Hi Shiner! Yeah, the detail is immense. John Bolton is a genius. Big fan of the classic 1980 film starring Vincent Price & John Carradine, well all the Amicus films. Got the original quad poster, the rare Dez Skinn signed 1/100 comic, then thought, Hey, why not get some original art? It was not that easy. I obtained this directly from artist John Bolton & wife Lilian. The Ghoul story is my favourite. Just love it. :notworthy:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

His Bionic Woman in Look-In really impressed me.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Hi Stevezodiac! Yeah, I agree. John Bolton can approach any genre be it horror (his preferred medium) or sci-fi, whatever, and produce spectacular results. :)

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

It’s always good to hear how approachable these creators are. I once emailed Barry Windsor Smith on his Power comic pin ups from the late 60s and got a very friendly reply.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Hi again Shiner! I agree. Know exactly what you mean.

Initially I was a bit nervous, as you are in these situations, and when I got a reply, all the doubt and worry ebbed away. She was so kind and put me at ease.

I've been in regular contact with John Bolton's lovely wife & business manager for the last couple of months about other purchases. I'm hoping to secure all of his original 1980, Monster Club concept art, drawn while on the actual film set. 😎

Talking about other famous artists. I'm a big Kolchak, The Night Stalker series fan, and especially admirer of actor Darren McGavin. I own the entire art from two comics. I have about 58 pages from the Moonstone graphic comic penned by the legendary Marvel/DC/Kenner & Aquaman fame, artist/figure designer, Kirk Jarvinen. What a gentleman, and a great friend too.

When able to, I'll upload some images of the pages owned. :)
Last edited by Into The Abyss on 12 Jul 2020, 23:11, edited 3 times in total.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

I aim to please. As promised, here's some of my Kolchak ,The Night Stalker, Moonstone comic art. 8)

PS. Apologies to the Mods for posting comic related items in a non-comic discussion thread. Was kindly asked about some memorabilia that I own, and it happens to be comic related. My fault entirely. :oops:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Abyss, keep posting. It's rare that we swing any sort of thread killer in here as half the fun is seeing where a thread goes.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Hey, cheers colcoo007. Yeah, It's so easy to wander off topic when someone's interested in what memorabilia you've got. Especially when you are passionate about a subject, in my case collection comic art, and want to share some pics. I promise not to wander too far. 👍