Talking Pictures TV

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Talking Pictures TV

Post by stevezodiac »

I assume we are all nostalgia buffs so here is some news from the TV channel:

We’re also getting ready for the first Saturday Morning Pictures on 6th February. We’ve got the carpet sweeper out in the stalls and the usherette has been stocking up on Lyons Maid. Get your badges on and form an orderly queue, as this line-up is not to be missed. Deep breath…we have … Popeye, Zorro, The Lone Ranger, Flash Gordon, Champion The Wonder Horse AND Superman. Add in Cup Fever from the Children’s Film Foundation, featuring George Best and Nobby Stiles, and why would you be anywhere else?

I'm enjoying Hazell on Monday nights which I never watched first time around as well as Upstairs Downstairs. Now if only they can get the Range Rider and Wild Bill Hickok TV shows.

stevezodiac

Re: Talking Pictures TV

Post by stevezodiac »

I enjoyed last night's final Hazell. Not only was it filmed here in Rotherhithe but Hazell bought his mate, hiding out from the police, some jellied eels and double pie and mash. Hazell hired a car and I recognised the car mart as the one just a few yards up the road from me.

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Well, that's me with the Champion The Wonder Horse theme song stuck in my head.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

What about the William Tell Overture?

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Talking Pictures is the best channel on tv in my humble opinion. Where can you see Will Hay, Arthur Askey and Crazy Gang films today? Unless you have them on DVD. Nowhere. 8)
Well, hello there! :wave:

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Into The Abyss wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 14:20
Talking Pictures is the best channel on tv in my humble opinion. Where can you see Will Hay, Arthur Askey and Crazy Gang films today? Unless you have them on DVD. Nowhere. 8)
Totally agree.They are even screening "Radar Men From The Moon" on Saturdays.Fantastic !!!

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

jim244 wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 01:55
Into The Abyss wrote:
Totally agree.They are even screening "Radar Men From The Moon" on Saturdays.Fantastic !!!
What a great film "Radar Men From The Moon " was. There are so many classic films & TV series shown on Taking Pictures that normally would be gathering dust on a shelf. Even better, you can buy them on their website too. Sadly with Network DVD recently going into liquidation, who were responsible for the release of so many cult classics Talking Pictures is now the only oasis in a desert of content.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Into The Abyss wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 14:28
jim244 wrote:
Into The Abyss wrote:
What a great film "Radar Men From The Moon " was. There are so many classic films & TV series shown on Taking Pictures that normally would be gathering dust on a shelf. Even better, you can buy them on their website too. Sadly with Network DVD recently going into liquidation, who were responsible for the release of so many cult classics Talking Pictures is now the only oasis in a desert of content.
I wasn't aware that Network had gone into liquidation,terrible news,absoloutely brilliant company,I bought so many DVDs from them.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

jim244 wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 00:21
Into The Abyss wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 14:28
jim244 wrote:

I wasn't aware that Network had gone into liquidation,terrible news,absoloutely brilliant company,I bought so many DVDs from them.
Yeah, sadly. Bought loads of classic British TV shows in the past off their website. If it were not for them cult 1950s, 1960s & 70s films & series would remain gathering dust in archives. :(

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

They've just started showing Manhunt with the beautiful Cyd Hayman. I watched it first time around. And Thunderbirds.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

stevezodiac wrote:
09 Nov 2023, 20:22
They've just started showing Manhunt with the beautiful Cyd Hayman. I watched it first time around. And Thunderbirds.
I've heard of Manhunt but don't believe I have ever seen this 1970 series,will try to catch it,when are they showing it Steve?
As for Thunderbirds,great to hear it's back on TV!!
And a question: I read somewhere that when Thunderbirds first aired in the mid sixties,each episode was split into 2 parts and shown in the same evening.I think part 1 before the news and part 2 after.
Out of interest can anyone confirm/deny this ?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Manhunt 9pm Sundays. Second episode this Sunday coming.

As far as I remember Thunderbirds was always shown as a one hour show with just ad breaks. Sunday tea time in London.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

stevezodiac wrote:
10 Nov 2023, 23:34
Manhunt 9pm Sundays. Second episode this Sunday coming.

As far as I remember Thunderbirds was always shown as a one hour show with just ad breaks. Sunday tea time in London.
Thanks Steve,will watch Manhunt tomorrow eve.

As for Thunderbirds original broadcast,while I first remember watching it on Saturday mornings then Sunday lunch times,I have found some information since my post:

From Wikipedia:

Thunderbirds was also sold in a two-part, 25-minute episode format. Each "concluding" part began with a narration by Shane Rimmer summarising the first part's action.Granada first showed the series in this format, airing both episode parts on the same night (one before and one after the ITN Evening News). It broadcast the original format for the first time when it began repeats in 1966.In 1968, the franchise briefly screened episodes in three parts due to timeslot restrictions.In the Midlands, ATV broadcast Series One in the hour-long format; Series Two, along with repeats of Series One, was then shown in the two-part format on consecutive evenings.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Trailers on Talking Pictures yesterday show that The Beverly Hillbillies and Bonanza are coming to the channel at the beginning of March, as is Stingray. I grew up in the sixties and watched them all first time round. Beverly Hillbillies very funny. Back then there was a western series on practically every night.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

stevezodiac wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 20:40
Trailers on Talking Pictures yesterday show that The Beverly Hillbillies and Bonanza are coming to the channel at the beginning of March, as is Stingray. I grew up in the sixties and watched them all first time round. Beverly Hillbillies very funny. Back then there was a western series on practically every night.
Brilliant news Steve.
I grew up in the 70s and watched re-runs of these shows then,other than bizzarely Stingray which I didn't see until the BBC 2 repeats in the 90s.
Will be fantastic to watch The Beverly Hillbillies again !!