STRIP Magazine relaunches next Monday! (April 8th)

Moderator: AndyB

wilsia

Re: STRIP Magazine relaunches next Monday! (April 8th)

Post by wilsia »

Tried Easons in Belfast but to no avail. Ended up getting Strip Magazine in WH Smiths in the centre of Glasgow (I didnt go there one earn mind you I was over there with my work so it worked out well)

As for the magazine I will def support it as its great to see an adventure comic back on the shelves again.

Once it was a good read? so so I would say to be honest I preferred the strips more in the first lauch but being a kid of the 70s I miss the Dredger and the Hookjaw strips.

Hopefully it will sell well and continues to improve.

Stuart V

Post by Stuart V »

django wrote:
Stuart V wrote:
django wrote: The WHSmiths in Watford had loads of copies when I was in there yesterday!.
Unfortunately, that's around a 20 mile drive for me, which would effectively push up the price a few extra pounds in travel costs. Given the comments above about publishers having to pay Smiths to put their titles in specific stores, it'd be nice if Smiths would actually put the magazine in the stores they are meant to.
What about Harrow?...I haven't been there myself lately but I would've thought they'd have it in stock!.
Ten miles, which is better, but not a trip I can make during the week as my work hours preclude it, and not a trip I want to make without actually making sure they have it in stock. I'll give them a call this weekend.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Cambridge, which was listed as one of the stockists, has loads still. Hopefully every listed branch got a decent number to start off with!

johnfreeman96

Post by johnfreeman96 »

django wrote:
Stuart V wrote:The Uxbridge WHSmiths still doesn't have any copies in, and remains clueless about when or if they will get it in. :headbash:
Don't forget that while PrintMedia have published a list of stores where the magazine should be in stock, this doesn't mean you can't order STRIP from your local WH Smiths or independent newsagent.
John Freeman
British Comics News Blog: http://www.downthetubes.net 

Stuart V

Post by Stuart V »

johnfreeman96 wrote:
django wrote:
Stuart V wrote:The Uxbridge WHSmiths still doesn't have any copies in, and remains clueless about when or if they will get it in. :headbash:
Don't forget that while PrintMedia have published a list of stores where the magazine should be in stock, this doesn't mean you can't order STRIP from your local WH Smiths or independent newsagent.
Well, given that Uxbridge is my local WH Smiths, and was meant to have it in stock but are now blaming the distribution company (which, from the name they gave, sounds like a different division of themselves), I don't think there's much point ordering it from them. I'd just get a string of excuses why it hadn't been delivered. One of the local newsagents might be more reliable.

johnfreeman96

Post by johnfreeman96 »

Well, given that Uxbridge is my local WH Smiths, and was meant to have it in stock but are now blaming the distribution company (which, from the name they gave, sounds like a different division of themselves), I don't think there's much point ordering it from them. I'd just get a string of excuses why it hadn't been delivered. One of the local newsagents might be more reliable.
PrintMedia tell me their distributor, Warners, has spoken to the Uxbridge store who confirmed that they have the magazine in stock and even confirmed that they have sold copies, too. They are speaking to their magazine manager today.
John Freeman
British Comics News Blog: http://www.downthetubes.net 

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I bought a copy from the small pile in W.H. Smith in Stirling. Thoroughly enjoyed it. What put me off the previous version was Hookjaw and the like. This issue, however was a great jump on for me. K. C. looked good and as a fan of the original, this slightly harder edged version makes me want more. Lots of room I hope for Billy the Cat et al. Crucible seems like a decent fantasy tale, although I got a bit confused early on as to who was doing what to whom.
Black Ops Extreme, despite reminding me very much of The Activity, is the sort of military, morally ambivalent strip I can enjoy - and worry about.
Black Dragon gave me the most enjoyment, more, probably because of the alternate London setting.
Scavengers seems like a British manga in tone and idea. Curious to see where it goes.
Denizens. Didn't generate any excitement for me and, despite the Pratt style art in the 2nd panel, the rest was not entertaining imo.
The reviews gave me the notion to pick up some of the books. Keep it up. But I don't need a pinup, thank you very much. It's a comic - says it on the front. That's space that could be used for letters or more story.
I'll happily post a mention on
http://comicbookplus.com/forum/
but you could plug it for free on the forum under the Shameless Self Promotion banner.

django

Post by django »

I Went to Harrow today to see Iron Man 3 and Smiths had loads of copies....Calamity Comics had a few as well!.

SID

Post by SID »

Lew Stringer wrote:
SID wrote:I'm not assuming anything, Lew. :(
I didn't mean it to sound like I was having a go, Sid.
You didn't, Lew nor did I take it as such. In fact, seeing how Strip has been placed in other Smiths, I think I have overreacted in any case. :)

Now I am just wondering if the comics are selling well.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Stuart V

Post by Stuart V »

johnfreeman96 wrote:PrintMedia tell me their distributor, Warners, has spoken to the Uxbridge store who confirmed that they have the magazine in stock and even confirmed that they have sold copies, too. They are speaking to their magazine manager today.
I went back into the Uxbridge Smiths today and yes, they finally do have copies. They didn't last weekend. I picked up a copy, and counted 16 more left on the shelf. No way to tell how many have been sold, unless someone at Warners knows how many were sent to that specific store.

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Don't want to sound pessimistic, as I love the comic and wish it nothing but good things, but whoever decided how many copies each WH Smith gets in has been somewhat... optimistic.

For WH Smith in Wigan to shift all the copies they have of #1, it'll have to outsell 2000 AD, Megazine, Clint and The Beano COMBINED.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

PaulTwist wrote:Don't want to sound pessimistic, as I love the comic and wish it nothing but good things, but whoever decided how many copies each WH Smith gets in has been somewhat... optimistic.

For WH Smith in Wigan to shift all the copies they have of #1, it'll have to outsell 2000 AD, Megazine, Clint and The Beano COMBINED.

My local branch had a pile of 16 or 17 copies and they still managed to hide them behind other comics! (Stacked behind the junior Spider-Man title and Toxic.) Yep, in the children's comics section, rather than with the Panini Marvels, 2000AD, etc.

My corner shop (supplied by Smiths) also had copies. Only two though, and on the top shelf between Playboy and Mighty World of Marvel. I bought one copy, and someone else must have bought the other as it was gone a few days later.

I'm getting the impression that Smiths haven't actually told shops where to put it.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

They put a magazine called Strip next to Playboy?

Why do I get the feeling the guy who bought the other one was disappointed? :lol:

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

As a matter of interest, does anyone else remember the first Strip Magazine from the early 1990s?

- Phil Rushton

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

felneymike wrote:They put a magazine called Strip next to Playboy?

Why do I get the feeling the guy who bought the other one was disappointed? :lol:
:lol: I think you may be right. Usually I'm the only person who buys comics from my local shop (they seem to have the same issues from one day to the next) so it was unusual that the other one sold. Perhaps it really did go for the reason you suggest.

Yes, sadly the shop puts the Panini Marvels next to the softcore mags for some reason. They put 2000AD up there too, the week the Mail was outraged about the gay Judge Dredd story, but they've since put it back on a lower shelf.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/