STRIP Rant

Moderator: AndyB

SID

Re: STRIP Rant

Post by SID »

tony ingram wrote:
SID wrote:Thanks, Terry.

I'll look forward to getting my copy next week. :xfingers:
I also look forward to getting my copy on the date specified.
No doubt delivered by Satan riding a snow plough. :lol:
As long as it isn't snowing. :lol:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Just made a hopeful yet fruitless* trip to WH Smith. Trying not to be cynical bit at this point I don't think I'll ever see Strip #2.2, at least not in paper form.

*I say it was fruitless, but I did pick up the new Prog and Meg. Almost got The Beano but the only copy they had was mangled beyond repair. Well, badly creased anyway.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I took a look in WHS in Falkirk and nothing there either. I'll have another go on Sat. Real shame. I was looking forward to it.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

This is just getting ridiculous, now.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

tony ingram wrote:This is just getting ridiculous, now.
It does seem that the odds are stacked against new comics from small publishers as regards High Street stores. Had it been a licensed nursery comic from one of the bigger publishers no doubt it'd be dominating the shelves.

I'm reminded of the shoddy treatment that Pulp Detective magazine suffered last year, with copies still in the WH Smith warehouse on the day it should have been put onto shelves. And the weirdly aggressive attitude of one central indie newsagent I spoke to in Coventry who sent the P.D. mag back as soon as they saw it because it was "too small"! (Even though they stocked Reader's Digest and Evergreen, - two small format mags.)

Public attitudes to comics and fiction in this country is very odd sometimes.

Having said that, distribution of your late lamented Crikey! mag was good, Tony. I saw that in quite a few places including my corner shop. A great shame that Borders closed, affecting its circulation.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

nottinghamian

Post by nottinghamian »

I'm close to giving up on Strip. It will not survive these problems, and I'm not investing any of my money in a doomed venture unless I find it in WH Smith tomorrow.

Sorry. I wanted it to do well.

SID

Post by SID »

Don't give up hope. Once they have their printing setup in the UK, these distribution issues will be a thing of the past. :xfingers:
Last edited by SID on 22 Jun 2013, 18:33, edited 2 times in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Lew Stringer wrote:
tony ingram wrote:This is just getting ridiculous, now.
It does seem that the odds are stacked against new comics from small publishers as regards High Street stores. Had it been a licensed nursery comic from one of the bigger publishers no doubt it'd be dominating the shelves.

I'm reminded of the shoddy treatment that Pulp Detective magazine suffered last year, with copies still in the WH Smith warehouse on the day it should have been put onto shelves. And the weirdly aggressive attitude of one central indie newsagent I spoke to in Coventry who sent the P.D. mag back as soon as they saw it because it was "too small"! (Even though they stocked Reader's Digest and Evergreen, - two small format mags.)

Public attitudes to comics and fiction in this country is very odd sometimes.

Having said that, distribution of your late lamented Crikey! mag was good, Tony. I saw that in quite a few places including my corner shop. A great shame that Borders closed, affecting its circulation.
Crikey! turned up in my village shop, and I didn't even have to put it there myself! I think we sold more copies in the first two weeks of high street distribution through Borders than we had in the previous two years through the comic shops. And then the buggers went bankrupt on us an issue later! I still haven't gotten over that. Thank you, God-what, did we run over your dog, or something?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

tony ingram wrote:And then the buggers went bankrupt on us an issue later! I still haven't gotten over that.
I still miss Crikey! too, Tony. I doubt whether that period was any kind of golden age but, given the production and distribution problems faced more recently by innovative and worthy magazines like Pulp Detective, and now Strip, it is at least worth reflecting that the steady flow of issues of your magazine gave its readers a sense of certainty, somewhat akin to knowing that next week's issues of The Rover and The Hotspur would be in newsagents the following Thursday. Just imagine what the producers and readers of Strip would give for that.

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Has Strip's Facebook page disappeared? Can't seem to find it... Worrying.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yes it has. I just Google searched for it, and the second link down is this: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Strip-Mag ... 9926009722

However, it's redirecting to the Facebook home page! I double checked on Strip's website and the Facebook link address is definitely correct.

SID

Post by SID »

I have a "Strip Magazine" Facebook page but it is not Strip as we know it.

I would be more concerned if the official website had gone.

Terry

Post by Terry »

Still no news, looks like Strip is no more :(

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Terry wrote:Still no news, looks like Strip is no more :(
Issue 2 does exist, - it came out weeks ago in digital form at least, if you have a compatible device:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/strip-m ... 05943?mt=8

No King Cobra this issue unfortunately, but there is a two page feature and poster. (Er, not that you can pin up a digital page... but you could use it as a desktop wallpaper I suppose.)

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Terry wrote:Still no news, looks like Strip is no more :(
Issue 2 does exist, - it came out weeks ago in digital form at least, if you have a compatible device:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/strip-m ... 05943?mt=8

No King Cobra this issue unfortunately, but there is a two page feature and poster. (Er, not that you can pin up a digital page... but you could use it as a desktop wallpaper I suppose.)
Unfortunately, I still have no real interest in digital comics. I've tried to get into them but reading strips off a screen just isn't something I find easy or relaxing.