Star Lord Summer Special, 1978

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

JohnN

Star Lord Summer Special, 1978

Post by JohnN »

Everyone seems very knowledgable here about UK comics. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on a specific comic from 32 years ago.

I'm thinking of getting the Star Lord Summer Special, 1978 , apparently it is almost all new material and no reprints, with Strontium Dog and Ro busters, and has never been reprinted.

Does anyone know if this is true - or has it like most IPC summer specials got a lot of reprinted old IPC / Odhams stories ? Only I don't want to spend too much money, unless it is mostly new (for 1978) work.

Thanks in advance
hello comic lovers in the UK

chrissmillie

Re: Star Lord Summer Special, 1978

Post by chrissmillie »

All new stories in this one. Can't recall a single reprint.
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

JohnN

Post by JohnN »

Thanks Chris for that information, appreciated.

Let me say hello to everyone on this site - I have been getting some old Star Lord's and other comics from my childhood recently, and have been really enjoying reading them, surprised that most are so cheap to buy, most work out at less than a pound each. Quite stunned to see from Lew Stringer's blog that Commando is still going with over 4,000 issues! - nice to see a whole section of your website on them.

I was into quite a few of the adventure and action type '70s comics like Battle [anyone remember Panzer G Man and Darkie's Mob], Warlord, some Tiger's, Tornado with the best being Star Lord. Are there many other comic enthusiasts out there that used to get these titles?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I'm guessing you didn't know about Commando's website either: http://www.commandomag.com/ It has wallpapers and even some scanned issues. The blog and features sections seem to have ceased updating though...

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

Your tastes are pretty similar to mine (I even named my own comic as a nod to Starlord). I'm a big fan of Kampgruppe Falken from Warlord, Charley's War from Battle and The Angry Planet from Tornado. I've recently been pleasantly surprised by Bullet and The Crunch (hop over to DownTheTubes.net and you can learn the identity of Fireball and Ask Andy), although still not as good as Fleetway's output of the time. Probably Warrior and Captain Britain would be the other two big faves from the 70s/80s for me.
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Next to Charley's War I'd say that Darkie's Mob was my all-time favourite strip from Battle. Brilliant work from John Wagner and Mike Western that gets mentioned far too rarely in sites like this. It's a shame that the publication date for the collected edition keeps getting put back! (it's currently due in November) More than any other this is a series that really needs to be read from the beginning to the end.

- Phil Rushton

JohnN

Post by JohnN »

Thanks for the posts Digifiend, Chris and Phil.

Had a look at that Commando website, and will have a more detailed look this weekend. Liked your website too Chris, good idea with the name, read that link about Rotten 7 [Zombies in Wild West sounds like a nice idea]. Union Jack Jackson was a favourite years ago. Also vaguely remember about 3 men in a jeep. Looked up Kampfgruppe Falken - looks really good, a bit like Panzer G Man and Fighter from the Sky. Your right about Darkie's mob Phil, whenever I see Burma/Mynamar in the news, I think of those gritty adventures along the Irrawaddy.

Does anyone remember in Star Lord, Strontium Dogs sister Ruth, her husband Nigel and his niece Marci? Did they ever appear in 2000ad, and we find out what happened to them? Just wondering.