VALIANT LAST ON THE MASTHEAD

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

VALIANT LAST ON THE MASTHEAD

Post by steelclaw »

Deleted and retiring from the site.
Last edited by steelclaw on 05 Jun 2011, 12:57, edited 3 times in total.

Lew Stringer

Re: VALIANT LAST ON THE MASK

Post by Lew Stringer »

I'm not sure how or why it started but I've seen references to the "mask" a few times on this forum.

I'm not having a go at anyone but the correct term is masthead or simply the logo. :up: (Traditionally the masthead is the header inside a publication above the list of staff, contributors etc.)

UPDATE: Steelclaw, I notice you quietly corrected it from 'mask' to 'masthead' last night. It's usually good manners to acknowledge the reason for such changes as otherwise it makes my comments about 'masks' look nonsensical but never mind. :) :up:
Last edited by Lew Stringer on 07 Jun 2011, 23:32, edited 2 times in total.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: VALIANT LAST ON THE MASK

Post by felneymike »

For some reason though the title "Battle Action" ended up becoming the actual name of the comic with both of them given equal prominence. Even if it was still war-themed so most of the more (in-)famous Action stories couldn't continue in it.

chrissmillie

Re: VALIANT LAST ON THE MASTHEAD

Post by chrissmillie »

Works really well though as a title. The Action 'logo' became purely another word, rather than any reminisce of the old comic. In fact, Battle Action is a lot better title than Battle Picture Weekly. Of course it eventually became Battle (Battle Action Force - not soo good) but I prefer Battle Action as a title.
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Did I miss something here? Is Steel Claw retiring from the site as in this forum?! I do believe he and Lew and myself and a few others are the Old Guard who personally received invites from Al a few years back to start up this new forum from the ashes of the old one. I am actually a wee bit sad if that is the case. Please tell me it is not so...

regards,

The Cap.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Do come back soon Steelclaw..

its not a bad idea sometimes to have a breather..

typing is never the same as talking to someone on the telephone or face to face...the text stays up for a long time..a conversation is over and moved on...also tone is very hard to show..hence emotions are used..

Do come back when you are ready..

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Perhaps he thought I was singling him out over using the word "mask" instead of masthead. (Which he then changed, making my comment look foolish, but never mind.)

I posted my comment about it publicly to hopefully be useful to the forum as I know a few people thought "mask" was the correct term. However in retrospect I should have sent him a private e-mail. Didn't realize it would upset him. Sorry.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

steelclaw wrote:Deleted and retiring from the site.
:!: Please don't.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Stay put, Steel: we miss you already, mate!

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Steel Claw , the forum will be an empty place without you. A piece of history gone. An end to the Golden Age of the ComicsUK Forum . As Lew said , he probably should've PM 'd you. However he did say sorry. Mind you if I had used that piece of techno know how more in the past , perhaps I wouldn't have had so many online battles! :) I swear by all that's holy in comics , if you don't come back right this instance I'll be gone too. Hang on , what's that...oh bugger , it's the rest of the forum celebrating.... :grouphug: So until I hear from you again and order is restored......

CAPTAIN STORM ( OLD GUARD )

DELETED AND RETIRING FROM SITE....

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

The board certainly can't afford to lose its Tottenham fans, so I'm hoping Steel Claw will come back to tell us what he thinks of Spurs signing up 40 year old Brad Friedl?

Good cover, I think. Still a top goalie and, unlike most profs, lucid and coherent on T.V..

SID

Post by SID »

chrissmillie wrote:Works really well though as a title. The Action 'logo' became purely another word, rather than any reminisce of the old comic. In fact, Battle Action is a lot better title than Battle Picture Weekly. Of course it eventually became Battle (Battle Action Force - not soo good) but I prefer Battle Action as a title.
The name: Battle-Action works for me too. In fact, the 'Battle-Action' era of the comic was in fact, imho, its best time - featuring the likes of Major Eazy (looking forward to the hardcover graphic novel coming out later this year), Dredger and the Spinball Wars.

Which is why it is only that portion of the comic I am collecting.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).