Tell Me Why

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

philcom55

Re: Tell Me Why

Post by philcom55 »

I must admit that I also enjoy the way some of these threads veer off topic from time to time, Matrix. :)

While most of Tell Me Why's artists tended to be recruited from European agencies it's worth mentioning that the regular feature on 'Anniversaries of the Week' was a notable exception. As in the example below the majority of these were drawn by British artist Pat Nicolle:

Just think - one hundred and forty-three years ago today (and ninety-nine years ago when this issue was published) the French Second Empire came to its final ignominious end!

- Phil rushton

matrix

Post by matrix »

Thanks for that Phil, I had looked at those smaller illustrations in which some are quite detailed.

I am fascinated about life in earlier times, I watch 'Time Team' nearly every day and when I look at some of the historical illustrations in Tell Me Why, and Look and Learn etc it helps me reflect a lot on what life must have been like in those times.

Some more illustrations I think worthy of a mention on here are these scans from 'War of the worlds' in 'Tell Me Why' lovely work not signed, it's amazing the variety in these Magazines.
Attachments
War.of.the.worlds.1.jpg
War.of.the.worlds.2.jpg

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Can anyone confirm if the Great Fire of London of 1666 was represented within Tell Me Why?

I'm getting re-jolted memories resurfacing---rather delightfully-----after viewing these handy illustrations courtesy of the good Messers Rushton* and Matrix---the 'Pudding Lane' scenario seems ripe for coverage within this memorable journal-----

*that's Rushton, not 'Russell!"

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Probably, though it was almost certainly featured in Look & Learn. I'll have a look when I get chance.

- Phil R.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Here are adverts for the first three issues - from Valiant:

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Yes, I sure had the 'representational wall map of the British Isles' up on my bedroom wall----and very good quality it was, too.

Those loveable rogues at VIZ lampooned this concept almost 3 decades later, with their own non-PC take on life in the UK, as cartoonized on a large map........

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here are the first two issues of Tell Me Why in the flesh:

In fact it was no.2 that was painted by Ron Embleton. The first issue was the work of Angus McBride.

I can't find any features specifically dealing with the great fire of London - though, as you can see below, it did appear on the back cover as part of a series about the history of that city.

- Phil Rushton

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There was an article in tonight's paper about a Van Gogh painting. They sell for millions but given a choice I would much rather have a Ron Embleton piece on my wall. Who decides what art is worth millions and why? I don't rate Van Gogh or the likes of Monet at all. Embleton was a better painter than the pair of them. Its a funny old world.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Thanks muchos, Mr Rushton!

Yes I definitely had the early issues, they cost around the same as the BEANO/DANDY Summer Specials of around the same era, with just-as-good -if-not-better production values---frightening to discover that this was released a staggering 45 years ago.

Very memorable though---I recognized that first issue cover in a trice, and yes even the smaller-scale Fire of London piece made some sort of impact on my memory.

matrix

Post by matrix »

I know what you mean about the memories Rab! Mine is more the 'Look and Learn' annuals that I recieved every christmas from the mid sixties to the early seventies, some of them have a similar format to the first 'Tell Me Why'.

Does anyone have those annuals? Love to see what was inside again.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

stevezodiac wrote:There was an article in tonight's paper about a Van Gogh painting. They sell for millions but given a choice I would much rather have a Ron Embleton piece on my wall. Who decides what art is worth millions and why? I don't rate Van Gogh or the likes of Monet at all. Embleton was a better painter than the pair of them. Its a funny old world.
If it's any consolation Steve, Ron Embleton's work earned him far more money and recognition in his lifetime than poor, mad Vince's ever did. Here's the final episode of Van Gogh's story, which was serialized in the first six issues of Tell Me Why alongside reproductions of some of his most famous paintings (personally I kind of like them).

"Starry starry night, all the stars were shining bright...(etc.)"

- Phil Rushton

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

A delightful vignette.....

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

matrix wrote:Can anyone name anymore artists? Unfortunately a lot of the work is not credited or signed, who were the cover artists?

Thanks!
Hello,

The cover to Tell Me Why n°77 you posted is also by Carlo Jacono.

In France Tell Me Why was adapted as Je sais tout. I have the complete run of 49 issues of Je sais tout and I would love to be able to match their contents with their original publication in Tell Me Why, but so far the only issue of TMW I have is #10. Does anybody know if more issues are available in scanned form ?