Tell Me Why

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

matrix

Tell Me Why

Post by matrix »

'Tell Me Why' had some lovely illustrations in it, some of the best for me are works by Alberto Salinas, and Jose Lui Salinas.
The example below is by Alberto from a series called 'Tales of the twentieth century', this one 'Bamboola King of the Elephants', about an elephant working in the 'Teak forests' of Burma, as it was called then!
Attachments
Bandoola.1.jpg
Bandoola.2.jpg

matrix

Re: Tell Me Why

Post by matrix »

Here is one from Jose Salinas, series called 'Bravest of the Brave' 'Walter Raleigh'.

Lovely work!

Anyone else like 'Tell Me Why'? Anyone not like it?
Attachments
Walter.1.jpg
Walter.2.jpg

matrix

Post by matrix »

Can anyone name anymore artists? Unfortunately a lot of the work is not credited or signed, who were the cover artists?

Thanks!
Attachments
TMW.cover.000.jpg

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I got the very early issues, Matrix----there was a lush wall chart with the first issue that was on my bedroom wall for a while [1968?] Although it was educational, the illustrations were very striking and stimulated the imagination.......

I seem to remember a TV campaign.

Any idea how much copies go for, on e-bay?
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 22 Aug 2013, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I agree that the majority of Tell Me Why cover artists are hard to identify - though it's worth noting that the very first cover was painted by Ron Embleton.

Speaking of Alberto Salinas I was astonished to see this ebay advert where he is listed as the artist on Teddy Bear's long-running strip 'Paddy-Paws':

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JACK-AND-JILL ... 5166wt_808

This is particularly surprising as most other sources (including the Look & Learn site) show that series as being drawn by an 'unidentified' artist. The only explanation I can think of is that the art board in question has Alberto's name written on the back.

- Phil Rushton

matrix

Post by matrix »

Not sure how much they go for Rab I havn't seen that many on ebay, I wouldn't think they would be expensive?

That 'Paddy-Paws' strip would be an unusual one for him would it not Phil, or did he do some nursery work?

I forgot you posted some Jean Sidobre work, 'The Barber of Seville' earlier Phil, so there is another artist.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

matrix wrote:That 'Paddy-Paws' strip would be an unusual one for him would it not Phil, or did he do some nursery work?
I think he may have worked for Once Upon A Time. It certainly wasn't unusual for foreign agency artists to produce nursery work in a simplified version of their normal 'realistic' style - Jesus Blasco being an obvious example (and it's notable that the style Alberto employed for Super-Girl Sandra' in Princess Tina was very different from his previous work on 'Moira, Slave Girl of Rome').

Interestingly, Darryl's website also lists some Gulliver Guinea Pig and Wizard Weezle art as being by Alberto (and as the pages in question don't seem to be the work of any of the regular artists he could well be right).

- Phil R.

matrix

Post by matrix »

philcom55 wrote:Interestingly, Darryl's website also lists some Gulliver Guinea Pig and Wizard Weezle art as being by Alberto (and as the pages in question don't seem to be the work of any of the regular artists he could well be right).

- Phil R.
Is that Silvre Acre Phil? Any chance of a link or example? I did a search for the Gulliver, but can't see anything on their site. Thanks.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here's the image from the Gulliver ad (it didn't mention him by name):

It doesn't look like Mendoza, Hutchings or Embleton to me (okay - maybe Hutchings) - and £29 is far more than I've ever paid for a piece of nursery art. On the other hand it is the only piece of Gulliver art I've ever seen for sale, so I decided to grit my teeth and buy it! :shock: (I'll let you know more if and when it arrives)

You should be able to see the Wizard Weezle page he's attributing to Albert (sic) Salinas here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOUR-COLOUR-T ... 5020wt_808

- Phil Rushton

Alberto_Soares

Post by Alberto_Soares »

Speaking of Alberto Salinas I was astonished to see this ebay advert where he is listed as the artist on Teddy Bear's long-running strip 'Paddy-Paws':

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JACK-AND-JILL ... 5166wt_808

This is particularly surprising as most other sources (including the Look & Learn site) show that series as being drawn by an 'unidentified' artist. The only explanation I can think of is that the art board in question has Alberto's name written on the back.
Well, I have a theory about what happened:
Several years ago i bought some artwork from Darryl, including some Alberto Salinas pages (Moira).
I also bought some Gulliver Guinea Pig artwork.
What I think happened was - when people at Silveracre sent me the files with photos of the artwork they must have indicated my name - Alberto - on it, as it was to be sent to me. The ones I didn't buy must have laid there and when they posted on ebay they thought the "Alberto" was the name of the artist and probably thought it was "Alberto Salinas".
That's my guess. Anyway, don't think that is Salinas artwork at all, so I may be right.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Ah! That explains everything nicely. :) I've since received the Gulliver page and there's no mention of Salinas anywhere on it. On the whole I'd guess it must be the work of one of the Hutchings brothers after all (which suits me just fine).

Thanks so much for clearing up this puzzle Alberto. As a matter of interest, what was featured on the Gulliver pages you did buy?

- Phil Rushton

Alberto_Soares

Post by Alberto_Soares »

Well, that's my take on the matter. I think this is what really happened.
I bought some Mendoza and Hutchings "Gulliver Guinea Pig" artwork and didn't buy others that didn't strike me a fancy like the one you bought . Sorry to say this but I tought the artwork was too stiff and monotonous. the ones I bought are really wonderful. Too bad he has no more for sale...
One of these days, I'll post scans of them here.

Alberto

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Thanks Alberto. I'd really like to see your Gulliver pieces someday (though, in fairness to Matrix, perhaps on the 'Playhour' thread rather than his 'Tell Me Why' one...which I've unforgivably sidetracked). :oops:

I do agree that my page is less impressive than a lot of the other Gulliver strips I've seen from the same period - possibly because the artist was attempting to imitate the formal, anti-perspectival style of the Chinese 'Willow Pattern' design - so I can certainly see why you rejected it. Nevertheless, I'm just happy to have acquired any of these pages at this point - and the storyline at least is pure David Roberts!

- Phil Rushton
Last edited by philcom55 on 03 Sep 2013, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

matrix wrote:Can anyone name anymore artists? Unfortunately a lot of the work is not credited or signed, who were the cover artists?
Returning to the original subject of this thread (ahem!) here's another nice 'aquatic' cover that's actually signed - this time by the Italian Carlo Jacono who painted a number of covers for Fleetway's picture libraries as well as working on Tell Me Why.

- Phil Rushton

matrix

Post by matrix »

Thanks for that Phil. I also found out that G.B.Bertelli was responsible for some of those fantastic wildlife spreads in 'Tell Me Why' with some lovely detailed work.
philcom55 wrote:Thanks Alberto. I'd really like to see your Gulliver pieces someday (though, in fairness to Matrix, perhaps on the 'Playhour' thread rather than his 'Tell Me Why' one...which I've unforgivably sidetracked). :oops:
Phil Rushton

Not worried at all Phil, I like the way some topics evolve even if sometimes it is off topic, as it very often leads to some interesting comments, but to respect you going back on topic, I will comment on your 'Gulliver' piece on the 'Playhour' thread.