Rocket Comic 1956 Full Set

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5359
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Rocket Comic 1956 Full Set

Post by Phoenix »

booksandcomics wrote:Must be your browser? Here's another link
Please don't blame my browser, Adam. The problem is the link you offered us. You are obviously acknowledging that as you have now offered me an alternative link.

User avatar
starscape
Posts: 979
Joined: 17 Jul 2011, 14:51
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Rocket Comic 1956 Full Set

Post by starscape »

First link works completely fine for me.

Be interesting to see if there's any interest. Some of these comics just have so few collectors.

big bad bri
Posts: 1758
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 15:50

Re: Rocket Comic 1956 Full Set

Post by big bad bri »

the link works fine for me on google chrome

User avatar
booksandcomics
Posts: 223
Joined: 06 May 2012, 16:53
Location: Stafford
Contact:

Re: Rocket Comic 1956 Full Set

Post by booksandcomics »

There was never a problem with the original link Phoenix thus it was either your browser or you clicked on it before eBay had officially launched it at 19:10:20. Hence why no one else has had a problem.

comixminx
Posts: 505
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 16:41
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Rocket Comic 1956 Full Set

Post by comixminx »

Phoenix, perhaps you may not be aware that sometimes a browser can hold on to an older version of a website or websearch in its cache? This can mean that you get different results from other people who ran the search or looked at the website at a different time. For this sort of reason it is perfectly legitimate to point at the browser as the (possible) source of the problem - it's not a denigration of your browser or system set up!

There are ways to clear the cache on your browser - typically via something like Options or Settings --> Privacy --> Clear cache or Clear History. If you search on the internet for your browser name and 'how to clear cache' you should be able to find detailed instructions.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

User avatar
paw broon
Posts: 1215
Joined: 29 Jan 2011, 19:13
Location: Falkirk, Scotland

Re: Rocket Comic 1956 Full Set

Post by paw broon »

Phoenix, as comixminx suggests, having a regular redd oot of your cache and cleaning temp files and history is a good idea, certainly on a pc. Using a prog. such as CCleaner from time to time will keep your machine neat and tidy(ish).
Please excuse me if this seems like trying to teach my granny how to sook eggs, but someone had to suggest to me to do the same things. :oops:

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5359
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Rocket Comic 1956 Full Set

Post by Phoenix »

Thanks to those members who have offered advice. I have had a desktop computer for the best part of twenty five years, and with advice from my computer-literate friend Ken Dalton I have upgraded all the hardware and software a good few times. To give you an idea of how close to the Middle Ages we were when I started out, the computer was 8MB, and the scanner had to be rolled over the picture manually, If the illustration was wider than the scanner I had to scan the rest separately, overlapping some of the first scan, and the scanner's program then stitched the two relevant bits together. Wonderful! So was the price! That original system cost me all the money I got for marking a batch of Joint Matriculation Board 'O' level Spanish Orals, and a batch (large) of the same board's Comprehension Reading papers, plus my fees for marking the Oxford and Cambridge Board 'A' level Comprehension Reading paper, which I subsequently set for a few years.

I am still using Windows Vista Ultimate, though, which is nevertheless completely stable. My browser is Mozilla Firefox. In the light of the suggestions from comixminx and Paw in particular, Ken has offered to come round in the morning to clear away any detritus, although he didn't have any nice things to say about CCleaner, Paw, on the grounds that it may well clean more than you want it to clean. Perhaps by tomorrow lunchtime I will be able to click on links, and get a positive outcome.

User avatar
Adam Eterno
Posts: 1385
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 01:05
Location: Southampton/London

Re: Rocket Comic 1956 Full Set

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:Thanks to those members who have offered advice. I have had a desktop computer for the best part of twenty five years, and with advice from my computer-literate friend Ken Dalton I have upgraded all the hardware and software a good few times. To give you an idea of how close to the Middle Ages we were when I started out, the computer was 8MB, and the scanner had to be rolled over the picture manually, If the illustration was wider than the scanner I had to scan the rest separately, overlapping some of the first scan, and the scanner's program then stitched the two relevant bits together. Wonderful! So was the price! That original system cost me all the money I got for marking a batch of Joint Matriculation Board 'O' level Spanish Orals, and a batch (large) of the same board's Comprehension Reading papers, plus my fees for marking the Oxford and Cambridge Board 'A' level Comprehension Reading paper, which I subsequently set for a few years.

I am still using Windows Vista Ultimate, though, which is nevertheless completely stable. My browser is Mozilla Firefox. In the light of the suggestions from comixminx and Paw in particular, Ken has offered to come round in the morning to clear away any detritus, although he didn't have any nice things to say about CCleaner, Paw, on the grounds that it may well clean more than you want it to clean. Perhaps by tomorrow lunchtime I will be able to click on links, and get a positive outcome.

Phoenix, the first link didn't work for me either, the 2nd was fine. I also use Firefox........

User avatar
starscape
Posts: 979
Joined: 17 Jul 2011, 14:51
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Rocket Comic 1956 Full Set

Post by starscape »

As do I. Works fine for me.

User avatar
paw broon
Posts: 1215
Joined: 29 Jan 2011, 19:13
Location: Falkirk, Scotland

Re: Rocket Comic 1956 Full Set

Post by paw broon »

Re. CCleaner, it was an engineer who suggested I use it all those years ago. But you're correct in some measure. With a lot of these progs., you have to be careful. Set it up correctly to do the job(s) you want and don't footer about with the registry unless you know what you're doing. Keeping all that in mind, CCleaner will effectively clear your cache, temp files and history. I use it because I don't want all the junk that Windows machines accumulate every time you switch them on hiding away and slowing my pc down.
I have W7 and use Firefox or Comodo Ice Dragon, with Opera as a reserve. Any advice I have followed has been from that engineer bloke I mentioned, The Guardian computer guy and tips from the odd computer magazine. Works for me :D

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5359
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Rocket Comic 1956 Full Set

Post by Phoenix »

comixminx wrote:Phoenix, perhaps you may not be aware that sometimes a browser can hold on to an older version of a website or websearch in its cache?
paw broon wrote:Phoenix, as comixminx suggests, having a regular redd oot of your cache and cleaning temp files and history is a good idea, certainly on a pc.
Thanks are due to both of you, and a general apology for getting a bit cross, something I do from time to time I must admit. Anyway, the cache was full. It is now empty, and Ken has increased its storage capacity from 350MB to 500MB. Inevitably I can now open that link. My interest in the inner workings of the computer remains nevertheless at 0%.

comixminx
Posts: 505
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 16:41
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Rocket Comic 1956 Full Set

Post by comixminx »

Phoenix wrote:
comixminx wrote:Phoenix, perhaps you may not be aware that sometimes a browser can hold on to an older version of a website or websearch in its cache?
paw broon wrote:Phoenix, as comixminx suggests, having a regular redd oot of your cache and cleaning temp files and history is a good idea, certainly on a pc.
Thanks are due to both of you, and a general apology for getting a bit cross, something I do from time to time I must admit. Anyway, the cache was full. It is now empty, and Ken has increased its storage capacity from 350MB to 500MB. Inevitably I can now open that link. My interest in the inner workings of the computer remains nevertheless at 0%.
Glad it was useful, Phoenix. Entirely fair to want to keep your interest level in such things at 0% if you have a useful person you can get to do such things for you! :)
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5359
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Rocket Comic 1956 Full Set

Post by Phoenix »

comixminx wrote:Entirely fair to want to keep your interest level in such things at 0% if you have a useful person you can get to do such things for you!
I should really have a lifetime achievement award for not lifting a finger, comixminx. Just one example should suffice. I was spending a Christmas vacation from university at the family home in Lancaster. I was reading some book or other sprawled out on the rug in front of the coal fire in the lounge one evening and I overheard my father say to my younger brother, in the kitchen where they were washing up, or making a brew or something, loud enough for me to hear it anyway, ''It's a right poor family that won't maintain one gentleman!'' So cutting! At least I pay Ken.

comixminx
Posts: 505
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 16:41
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Rocket Comic 1956 Full Set

Post by comixminx »

Phoenix wrote:
comixminx wrote:Entirely fair to want to keep your interest level in such things at 0% if you have a useful person you can get to do such things for you!
I should really have a lifetime achievement award for not lifting a finger, comixminx. Just one example should suffice. I was spending a Christmas vacation from university at the family home in Lancaster. I was reading some book or other sprawled out on the rug in front of the coal fire in the lounge one evening and I overheard my father say to my younger brother, in the kitchen where they were washing up, or making a brew or something, loud enough for me to hear it anyway, ''It's a right poor family that won't maintain one gentleman!'' So cutting! At least I pay Ken.
:D :lol:
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Post Reply