Please help me identify this Whizzer and Chips comic

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

emmaringo

Please help me identify this Whizzer and Chips comic

Post by emmaringo »

Hello friends,

I have been an avid reader and collector of the D.C. Thomson comics for many years now. I used to own a particular Whizzer and Chips comic which I loved reading when I was young. Sadly it appears to have gotten lost and I really would like buy a new copy. The only problem is, I don't remember which issue it was. I am writing whatever I remember about it here below and would be really grateful if anyone here could identify this particular comic for me:

1. It was SOFTCOVER and not an annual, but the cover was colored and glossy.
2. It was quite thick, must have been roughly half the thickness/page count of an annual.
3. The interior pages were black and white.
4. I think it was released during Christmas time, but I'm not 100% sure of this.
5. The last comic strip was printed on the back page and it was about "Odd Ball". Basically, the story was that Nobby was trying to sneak out of his house and go to a friend's Christmas party without telling Odd-Ball. He goes out, telling Odd-Ball that he is going for a walk and that it's going to be cold and boring so Odd-Ball would be better off staying at home. Suspicious, Odd-Ball follows him and arrives at Nobby's friend's house where a party is underway. Nobby is greatly angered but his friend is happy to let Odd-Ball stay. Nobby warns them that things will be fine until Odd-Ball forgets himself and turns into something silly. Odd-Ball promises to "Bee-hive" (behave) himself, turning into a hive and even offers to help them play games but they tell him that it is a disco party and so Odd-Ball turns himself into a boy and joins in the dance. All is going well until the friend's mum comes and asks the kids if they're having fun. Odd-Ball turns into a giant whale and replies "We're having a whale of a time!", crushing all the kids under his weight. The End.

Please please please someone help me identify this particular comic.
Thank you so much!
Em

Raven

Re: Please help me identify this Whizzer and Chips comic

Post by Raven »

Which year - or, indeed, decade -were you likely to have got it? There was just one Winter Special, in 1989, otherwise it was probably a Holiday Special released in Summertime.

You can check the covers of the Whizzer and Chips specials in the Gallery section here, to see if any ring a bell:

http://comicsuk.co.uk/specials.php?ComicTitleID=218

Whizzer and Chips was IPC, incidentally, not D. C. Thomson.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Sounds more like an issue of The Best of Whizzer and Chips reprint comic.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Raven

Post by Raven »

Ah, yes. Which eventually changed its title to just 'Whizzer and Chips.' So you could look out for the December issues of this monthly for the period you were likely to have bought it.

emmaringo

Post by emmaringo »

Raven wrote:Which year - or, indeed, decade -were you likely to have got it? There was just one Winter Special, in 1989, otherwise it was probably a Holiday Special released in Summertime.

You can check the covers of the Whizzer and Chips specials in the Gallery section here, to see if any ring a bell:

Thank you for your reply, Raven. Sorry I forgot to mention that I got it around early 90s. I checked the cover gallery and it doesn't ring a bell. As I mentioned it was a Christmas time release so it probably wasn't a Holiday Special, and it's not the 1989 Winter Special either.

emmaringo

Post by emmaringo »

Lew Stringer wrote:Sounds more like an issue of The Best of Whizzer and Chips reprint comic.
Thanks for your reply, Lew Stringer. Yes, it might be an issue of that. Do you know any website which has a cover gallery of all the "Best of" W&C comics?

emmaringo

Post by emmaringo »

Raven wrote:Ah, yes. Which eventually changed its title to just 'Whizzer and Chips.' So you could look out for the December issues of this monthly for the period you were likely to have bought it.
Yes, it might be a December issue of that. Do you know any website which has a cover gallery of all the "Best of" W&C comics?

Raven

Post by Raven »

I haven't seen one, Em, and there probably isn't one.

Maybe you could set up a Saved Search on eBay for "Best of Whizzer and Chips" "December", and check when any turn up.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

emmaringo wrote:
Raven wrote:Which year - or, indeed, decade -were you likely to have got it? There was just one Winter Special, in 1989, otherwise it was probably a Holiday Special released in Summertime.

Thank you for your reply, Raven. Sorry I forgot to mention that I got it around early 90s. I checked the cover gallery and it doesn't ring a bell. As I mentioned it was a Christmas time release so it probably wasn't a Holiday Special, and it's not the 1989 Winter Special either.
Attachments
Not sure if it will help but these were on Ebay last month
Not sure if it will help but these were on Ebay last month