Comic book medals

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

irishjohnp

Comic book medals

Post by irishjohnp »

as if I don't collect enough comic related stuff I got these at some point.
They are two comic book related medals or coins? Not sure if they are free gifts or a post off items.

The first one is a Comic Cuts medal? dated 1897 along the bottom. the text around the rim says, 'King Comic Cuts. Longest Reign'.
On the reverse side is a picture of Queen Victoria, text around the rim reads, 'Victoria. Regin Et Imperatrix. Record Reign 1897.
Attachments
018.JPG
016.JPG

irishjohnp

Re: Comic book medals

Post by irishjohnp »

The other is more of a coin reading Ally Sloper's Half Holiday. with the words, 'The F.O.M' along the bottom. on the reverse reads Sloper's Club, not transferable, and a number stamped on it '6313.
Attachments
020.JPG
019.JPG

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

irishjohnp wrote:The other is more of a coin reading Ally Sloper's Half Holiday. with the words, 'The F.O.M' along the bottom. on the reverse reads Sloper's Club, not transferable, and a number stamped on it '6313.
The F.O.M. stands for Friend Of Man. Ally Sloper was Britain's first comics superstar at the end of the 19th Century, and had various pieces of related merchandise. Very nice find.

Comic Cuts was one of Britain's first comics (again, late 19th Century). The coin shows the editor of the comic I think.

You'll find more info about vintage comics by looking on the home page of this website.

You can also visit my Blimey! blog and have a look around by typing whatever you're looking for into the search window. http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk

irishjohnp

Post by irishjohnp »

cheers Lew

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Lew Stringer wrote:
irishjohnp wrote:The other is more of a coin reading Ally Sloper's Half Holiday. with the words, 'The F.O.M' along the bottom. on the reverse reads Sloper's Club, not transferable, and a number stamped on it '6313.
The F.O.M. stands for Friend Of Man. Ally Sloper was Britain's first comics superstar at the end of the 19th Century, and had various pieces of related merchandise. Very nice find.

Comic Cuts was one of Britain's first comics (again, late 19th Century). The coin shows the editor of the comic I think.

You'll find more info about vintage comics by looking on the home page of this website.

You can also visit my Blimey! blog and have a look around by typing whatever you're looking for into the search window. http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk
I knew it didn't stand for Friends Of Marvel, which was all I could think of! :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

colcool007 wrote: I knew it didn't stand for Friends Of Marvel, which was all I could think of! :lol:
:lol:

There are a few old Ally Sloper items on eBay right now. He was quite in the public eye back then. (That comic shown isn't very good though. It was a 1940s revival and very poor quality compared to the Victorian first series.)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... r&_sacat=0

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:Comic Cuts was one of Britain's first comics (again, late 19th Century).
Yes, it was a Harmsworth publication. It ran from May 17 1890 to September 12 1953. There were 3006 issues.