Buster 1966

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

big bad bri

Buster 1966

Post by big bad bri »

Can anyone confirm how many pages Buster dated 26/3/66 has as i have now bought tnis issue twice thinking it is 40 pages but both copies have 38 pages and the same with 12/3/66 s i thought that period of time all had 40 pages as I did check a few around those dates and they are 40 pages.
Last edited by big bad bri on 12 Jul 2017, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

stevezodiac

Re: Buster 1966

Post by stevezodiac »

Are the centre pages a two page strip or two one page strips? From memory I think Buster always had a two page strip in the centre.

You probaby know all this anyway but I just wanted to help.

I just re-read your message and it mentions 38 pages. All folded and stapled comics would have a page count divisible by four unless one page has been torn out in which case the adjacent page would have a jagged edge. Do you mean 36 pages?

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Sorry I meant 36 pages but its not 2 pages of mighty misfits as seems to be the case with issues a few weeks above and below these its page 3 of mighty misfits and sonny boy in the centre .
Last edited by big bad bri on 12 Jul 2017, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I might be wrong but I have a feeling The Pirates by Baxendale (or Mike Brown) may have been the centre page strip in 1966.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Bri. It is definitely missing the four centre pages. It's not 'The Pirates' by Baxendale in the centre though as this didn't start till October. I'll check when I get home as to what it actually was. From memory I do recall that at about that time there was a four page 'Valiant' pull-out in the middle which might explain why the pages are missing. I have a feeling that that issue was published in April though.
In fact Buster didn't always utilise its centre pages for a single strip Steve and you would sometimes find pages 20 and 21 were single strips or the last page of one strip and the first page of another.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

thanks Kashgar its usually the misfits double spread in other issues around that time and i have noticed a few 4 page pullouts advertising other comics around that time period too,this is why we need a page by page blog or website on all humour titles i think as the Buster one hasn't been updated in years so once again i'm thinking i will try to do it if i can work out how to do such a website that is free :lol:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:thanks Kashgar its usually the misfits double spread in other issues around that time and i have noticed a few 4 page pullouts advertising other comics around that time period too,this is why we need a page by page blog or website on all humour titles i think as the Buster one hasn't been updated in years so once again i'm thinking i will try to do it if i can work out how to do such a website that is free :lol:
The 4 page pull-outs were usually in addition to the 40 pages I think. At least that's how it was with Valiant and their 1966 football pull-outs on pink paper (making those issues 44 pages in total).
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Sorry for the delay Bri. My 1966 Busters weren't where I thought they were. I'll definitely have the details for you tomorrow though. Lew is quite correct about the 44 page editions of Valiant with the pink sporting supplement in 1966 making up the four extra pages. Lion & Champion also had 44 pages at that time but this was made up of extra strip content. The king or more properly the queen of the 44 page picture papers was June & School Friend which contained 44 pages for over three years from early 1965 when the two titles merged. I have a feeling that the Buster supplement I'm thinking about
was actually part of the forty pages though. I'll have to check.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Kashgar wrote:Sorry for the delay Bri. My 1966 Busters weren't where I thought they were. I'll definitely have the details for you tomorrow though. Lew is quite correct about the 44 page editions of Valiant with the pink sporting supplement in 1966 making up the four extra pages. Lion & Champion also had 44 pages at that time but this was made up of extra strip content. The king or more properly the queen of the 44 page picture papers was June & School Friend which contained 44 pages for over three years from early 1965 when the two titles merged. I have a feeling that the Buster supplement I'm thinking about
was actually part of the forty pages though. I'll have to check.
ok thank you no rush as i know it can be a pain moving boxes around to check .

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Bri,

I'm so pleased you brought this question up as, on checking, the forty page Buster did not last as long as I had imagined. So, first off, you will be pleased to hear that your 26th March 1966 issue with only 36 pages is complete.
This is the complete list of 40 page Busters from 1965/1966
30/10/65-12/2/66 (16 issues)
19/2/66 the only 44pg issue if you count the pink Champion supplement in the middle
otherwise this is the last genuine 40pg issue.
26/2, 5/3 these two issues have both got 36pgs but they also both contain a pink Champion supplement which boosts them up to 40pgs if you count the supplements as being integral to the comics.
Then from the 12/3 issue all other 1966 issues are 36pgs except those like the 23/4 issue which includes a pink 4pg Valiant supplement which boosts it to 40pgs.
So if we ignore the advertising supplements only 17 issues of Buster 30/10/65-19/2/66 were truly 40pg editions.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Kashgar wrote:Hi Bri,

I'm so pleased you brought this question up as, on checking, the forty page Buster did not last as long as I had imagined. So, first off, you will be pleased to hear that your 26th March 1966 issue with only 36 pages is complete.
This is the complete list of 40 page Busters from 1965/1966
30/10/65-12/2/66 (16 issues)
19/2/66 the only 44pg issue if you count the pink Champion supplement in the middle
otherwise this is the last genuine 40pg issue.
26/2, 5/3 these two issues have both got 36pgs but they also both contain a pink Champion supplement which boosts them up to 40pgs if you count the supplements as being integral to the comics.
Then from the 12/3 issue all other 1966 issues are 36pgs except those like the 23/4 issue which includes a pink 4pg Valiant supplement which boosts it to 40pgs.
So if we ignore the advertising supplements only 17 issues of Buster 30/10/65-19/2/66 were truly 40pg editions.
thank you so much for taking the time to check ray ill check those from that era i have as at the moment i'm checking comics that has cut out booklets as i discovered a few from the 80s i have with missing booklet cut outs when i was having a count up of all the issues i own (1479 )so i will have to add them back to wants list though hey are not so important as i still have he main comic intact.this is why i wish the buster site was updated and had a complete page by page.i can try do one for whoopee as i have all those,i just need to research if i can get a free website without having to pay as i have the time at the moment.to do such a project and i have actually written down the 1st 23 issues already.