Dime Novels

Discuss comics from around the world.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Dime Novels

Post by stevezodiac »

As well as comics and sixties psychedelia my main interest is the wild west and western films. I thought I might show some Dime Novels from America (but one from the UK). They were like our story papers.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Dime Novels

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Nice esoteric stuff as ever, Steve.

I hope to visit the actual West of the USA over the next year or two.

I visited a shop in New York that was dedicated to Wild West memorabilia---I am sure you would have loved it.

I love the Ennio Morricone music 'Ecstacy of Gold' piece heard near the end of The Good the Bad and the Ugly

philcom55

Re: Dime Novels

Post by philcom55 »

I think 'Dime Novels' were the US equivalent of our British 'Penny Dreadfuls'. Though there were some reprints of Western stories from America we also had a vast number of home-grown 'British Westerns' like Robin Hood, Dick Turpin and Claude Duval - quasi-historical characters who subsequently made a successful transition to comic strip publications such as the Thriller Picture Library. I particularly like some of the covers that appeared on the Dick Turpin titles published in the early 20th century by the Aldine company - many of which can be be picked up quite cheaply today.
Attachments
254-3258low.jpg