TIME SLIP:THE LOOK-IN STRIPS CHRONOLOGY

Details about the strips from this wonderful publication.

Moderator: AndyB

jim244

TIME SLIP:THE LOOK-IN STRIPS CHRONOLOGY

Post by jim244 »

STORY 1:"THE GODS"
ISSUES 1-5 (1971)
WRITER:ANGUS P ALLAN
ARTIST:MIKE NOBLE

From the very start of Look-in,while they re-numbered every year to start a new year with issue 1,this is actually the very first issue 1.
The publication is very slim,being only 24 pages.It becomes 28 pages at issue 6 and the standard 32 pages at a later date.

Liz Skinner and Simon Randall have the incredible ability to pass through an invisible time barrier.
Travelling forwards millions of years,they find the Earth restored to a primitive state.
Dinosaurs and cave men and a modern phone all create a mystery.
Sinister aquanauts are capturing the children of the cave men.
After defeating a dinosaur,Liz and Simon are seen as Gods and encouraged to defeat the aquanauts.

Unlike any other strip in Look-in,the adventure ends in a stunning cliff hanger that moves directly into the following story,where robotic arms grapple to capture them.

Nobles' vivid colours bring to mind his previous work on TV Century 21,especially "Fireball XL5".
Noble would only get better,later more detailed and apparently his favourite ever strip that he drew was also for Look-In,"Worzel Gummidge".
Bizzarely the star of that show,the 3rd Doctor,Jon Pertwee,also stated that was his favourite ever role and loved Mikes' art when it was presented to him.
Noble designed stain glass windows for his local village church,worked for Robin, Express Weekly,TV comic and was simply one of the very best artists of the 20th century.
Time Slip sadly loses him after the first few stories and is never quite as good again.

jim244

Re: TIME SLIP:THE LOOK-IN STRIPS CHRONOLOGY

Post by jim244 »

STORY 2
"ROBOT WORLD"
ISSUES 6-14
WRITER: ANGUS P ALLEN
ARTIST: MIKE NOBLE

Note: Look-In page count from issue 6 increased from 24 to 28 pages.

In the year 3547,Liz and Simon find a world where humans are subdued slaves ruled by a robot mind "The Dominator".
They agree to help a space community,returned to earth after centuries outside of the solar system,to crush the Dominators' power and free the human slaves.
Issue 14 concludes the adventure on page one of the strip and page 2 starts a new story where Liz and Simon travel through space and time to end up in an Egyptian tomb and are discovered and captured in a thrilling cliffhanger.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

STORY 3
ISSUES 15-20
"SLAVES OF ROME"
ARTIST:MIKE NOBLE

Liz and Simon,in ancient Egypt,are sold to a Roman pirate,Mettalus.
They eventually become involved in a sea battle between Mettalus and a friendly Roman Captain,Fabius.
Their conduct wins them favour with Fabius but he wishes to take them to Rome with him.
They need to return to the pyramid to access the time barrier and Simon's pocket torch is the key.

This is the first story of this series to not feature a cliff hanger leading into the next story at its conclusion.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

STORY 4: "The Maid of Falmouth"
ISSUES 21-26 (1971)
WRITER: Angus P Allen
ARTIST: Mike Noble

When their friend Commander Traynor risks his life savings diving for the wreck of a treasure ship,Liz Skinner and Simon Randall go back to the year 1666 to see if the ship did in fact sink.
They miscalculate and land in the City of London at the height of the great fire.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

STORY 5
"THE CONDEMNED"
ISSUES 27-34 (1971)
ARTIST: LUIS BERMEJO

Liz and Simon land nearly 1000 years in the future onboard a spaceship.
They are transported to the moon,a vast prison settlement,with artificial atmosphere and held hostage by a gang of convicts.

Mike Noble is now concentrating on the full colour "Folly Foot" strip.
This is the first "Time Slip" to appear in black and white.
I am unaware of the artist but the art continues to be of a very high standard.
The story is excellent and features many fine cliff hangers.

NB:This post is edited due to new information from Robbie Moubert who identifies the artist.
Last edited by jim244 on 17 Apr 2024, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

The artist on the first two b/w stories is Luis Bermejo.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Robbie Moubert wrote:
17 Apr 2024, 17:20
The artist on the first two b/w stories is Luis Bermejo.
Brilliant information and many thanks.Much appreciated.
This is the famous artist that also drew for Eagle,Look and Learn and DC comics?
Do you know if he was the artist for any of the further Time Slip stories?
Anyhow,thanks very much for the information and I shall edit my summary above to include him as the artist.

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

If memory serves, Felix Carrion took over from the third story.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Robbie Moubert wrote:
17 Apr 2024, 23:53
If memory serves, Felix Carrion took over from the third story.
Thanks Rob.There are quite a few sites on the net about "Look-In" and when I first asked the chap that runs this site if he would be nice enough to set up a section about this mag,I did promise accuracy as so many sites post false and incomplete information about this publication.
Please don't find me rude and I totally appreciate your information but for accuracy sake I will add the name to future strips with a question mark.Unless of course that you are absolutely certain.If you are certain then obviously I will add with no question mark.Apologies to be so pedantic.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

STORY 6
"MAMMOTH"
ARTIST:LUIS BERMEJO
ISSUES 35-36 (1971)
Simon emerges from the time barrier back in 1971 but alone.
Liz has been separated and stranded on a primeval Earth covered by ice.