FREEWHEELERS:An introduction

Details about the strips from this wonderful publication.

Moderator: AndyB

jim244

FREEWHEELERS:An introduction

Post by jim244 »

Freewheelers was a British TV series that ran from 1968-1973.
It was immensley popular.
A younger version of Department S/The Avengers,featuring teenagers.
51 episodes are missing from the 104 produced.
Talking Pictures,a channel often discussed on this forum,has shown all of the existing episodes.
In Look-in issue 1 1971 (the very first issue of Look-in),"Freewheelers" was chronologically the first drama series to feature,appearing on page 8,with "Wreckers at Dead Eye" on page 14 and "Time Slip" on page 20.
Personally,I enjoyed reading the first strip tonight but have never seen the programme.

Adam Eterno

Re: FREEWHEELERS:An introduction

Post by Adam Eterno »

jim244 wrote:
17 Apr 2024, 21:54
Talking Pictures,a channel often discussed on this forum,has shown all of the existing episodes.
In Look-in issue 1 1971 (the very first issue of Look-in),"Freewheelers" was chronologically the first drama series to feature,appearing on page 8,with "Wreckers at Dead Eye" on page 14 and "Time Slip" on page 20.
Personally,I enjoyed reading the first strip tonight but have never seen the programme.

I have no memory of that TV programme at all!

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Adam Eterno wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 07:34
jim244 wrote:
17 Apr 2024, 21:54

I have no memory of that TV programme at all!
Adam (D) I totally get you,same here!!!!
I only know about it due to "Look-In".
Apparently it was very popular and sold overseas etc.
I think it comes down to age.
For example;I loved the repeats of "The Time Tunnel" in 1977 but it wasn't until the channel 4 repeats of the other Irwin Allen shows that I ever watched "Land of the Giants" etc
But I had heard of these Allen shows as they were family aimed tv progs,as oppossed to,for example,"The Tomorrow People",which I grew up with from series 2.
I think "Freewheelers" was a kids show that was very popular but not repeated until in recent years on "Talking Pictures".
Therefore I have never seen a single episode and neither have you!
DVDS were released of some remaining episodes.
I'm not recommending them,do not buy as they might be absolutely terrible,I genuinelly have no idea.

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

Super Channel (1987 - 1993) ran a lot of old British shows and I'm pretty sure that included Freewheelers. I remember being interested in seeing it again as I was only 10 when the final series aired. I think it also showed up on The Children's Channel around the same time and Film 24 showed it in 2010.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Robbie Moubert wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 17:46
Super Channel (1987 - 1993) ran a lot of old British shows and I'm pretty sure that included Freewheelers. I remember being interested in seeing it again as I was only 10 when the final series aired. I think it also showed up on The Children's Channel around the same time and Film 24 showed it in 2010.
Thanks Rob,that's brilliant information as I had no idea of these repeats.
Plus,you have seen the show,unlike Adam and I.
So my question is...Was it any good???

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

My memories of it are quite dim now. It was quite fast-moving with lots of location filming. Acting wise it's probably comparable with other series of the period such as Timeslip and The Tomorrow People. Probably the most memorable thing about it is the theme tune - Teenage Carnival by Keith Mansfield.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Robbie Moubert wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 06:18
My memories of it are quite dim now. It was quite fast-moving with lots of location filming. Acting wise it's probably comparable with other series of the period such as Timeslip and The Tomorrow People. Probably the most memorable thing about it is the theme tune - Teenage Carnival by Keith Mansfield.
Just googled and listened to this on You Tube....
Damn....I remember this tune!!!!!
Bizzare !!!!
Thanks Rob,that really jogged an ancient memory meaning I must have at some point seen an ep.....