Newspaper comic strips

Discuss any comic strip that has appeared in a newspaper over the years. Andy Capp, Rupert, Hagar, Fudge etc

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: Newspaper comic strips

Post by Lew Stringer »

Speaking of newspaper strips Titan have just published the third hardback volume of Nemi strips, translated from the original Norwegian. 144 pages in full colour.

Review:
http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2009/10 ... nnual.html

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I don't remember Bear, I keep thinking of the "Love Is" cartoon for some reason. I have the first issue of the Sun from 1969 but can't think where it is right now. I must admit UK papers seem to choose the less popular strips at the moment. The Daily Express has Dilbert, Calvin and Hobbes and Faith, Hope and Sue while the Daily Mail has Garfield, Up and Running and Fred Bassett. Some of these are a bit worthy or left field whereas I prefer the more snappy strips like BC and the Wizard of Id. I used to collect the Mail on Sunday Cartoons section which was about 12 to 16 pages of famous strips - it started out tabloid size and then became half tabloid and ran for a couple of years or so. The Funday Times was similar but had mostly full page strips including Beryl the Peril reprints by David Law. The Daily Telegraph came in with Young Telegraph. I have a fair number of all of these sections - but the Mail's was the best. It had Fred Bassett on the cover in full colour.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Just pointing out that The Sun actually first launched in 1964 as a broadsheet published by IPC. Rupert Murdoch bought it and relaunched it as a tabloid on 17 November 1969. It's this issue you're referring to, the first tabloid Sun, not the first edition overall.

Incidentally, Wikipedia says that a strip called Scarth was in that issue, the name apparently being a reference to Garth. Lambiek has some information about that strip and it's artist, Luis Roca. http://lambiek.net/artists/r/roca_luis.htm

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

unless Tony Ingram or some other kind soul can help out, looks like bear will remain but a memory!

prolific caption-writing by the way, Phoenix......you must be experienced in this field.
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 14 Oct 2009, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote: Incidentally, Wikipedia says that a strip called Scarth was in that issue, the name apparently being a reference to Garth. Lambiek has some information about that strip and it's artist, Luis Roca. http://lambiek.net/artists/r/roca_luis.htm
I remember Scarth-we featured it in the Nutty Notions section in Crikey! #10. A very well drawn but very odd strip about a permanently partially unclothed amnesiac adventuress. Sadly, I'm less up on Bear. I think I vaguely recall the strip-around 1974 or '75 if I'm right-but I certainly have no examples of it to my knowledge. Sorry, all...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Phoenix......you must be experienced in this field.
No, not really. I did have a memorable experience in one field, though. It was the Vale of Lune Rugby Club about 11 o'clock at night. I was sixteen at the time. It was a try under the posts and a successful conversion as I recall.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

phoenix4ever wrote:
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Phoenix......you must be experienced in this field.
No, not really. I did have a memorable experience in one field, though. It was the Vale of Lune Rugby Club about 11 o'clock at night. I was sixteen at the time. It was a try under the posts and a successful conversion as I recall.
Thanks for that heartwarming story, Phoenix. It was most illuminating-though I hope the field wasn't equally illuminated...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

tony ingram wrote:Thanks for that heartwarming story, Phoenix. It was most illuminating-though I hope the field wasn't equally illuminated...
No it wasn't, Tony, but when you've seen a fair amount of the Union game you don't really need any light. Take that night for example. Things were moving along really nicely then she went for the fly half and created an opening. That manoeuvre released me so I made straight for the inside centre, and before we knew it a ruck developed just short of the line. There was a lot of pushing and shoving and swearing, as you can imagine in such a tight situation, but over we went. A successful conversion was inevitable from that position.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

this thread seems to be one of the most 'free-for-all' stream-of-conciousness topics in this site's history! Surreal and avant-garde.....

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

phoenix4ever wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Thanks for that heartwarming story, Phoenix. It was most illuminating-though I hope the field wasn't equally illuminated...
No it wasn't, Tony, but when you've seen a fair amount of the Union game you don't really need any light. Take that night for example. Things were moving along really nicely then she went for the fly half and created an opening. That manoeuvre released me so I made straight for the inside centre, and before we knew it a ruck developed just short of the line. There was a lot of pushing and shoving and swearing, as you can imagine in such a tight situation, but over we went. A successful conversion was inevitable from that position.
Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase 'If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try, Try again'.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:this thread seems to be one of the most 'free-for-all' stream-of-conciousness topics in this site's history! Surreal and avant-garde.....
Well it was Joyce who brought an awareness of this exciting new technique to the general public. However, on the night in question I didn't really have much of an opportunity to discuss it with her.

Robbie Moubert

Re: Bear by Posy

Post by Robbie Moubert »

Found the following description and image:

Before Posy Simmonds took to drawing cartoons for the Guardian, she produed the saucy adventures of Bear for the Sun newspaper, back in the early 1970s.

The rotound and lecherous Bear inhabited a sort of Toyland for adults, where he was always in hot pursuit of numerous dollies (all the dollies had big eyes, very short skirts and lots of cleavage). His companions in his adventures were the equally lascivious Penguin and Rabbit (Rabbit always carried a large carrot, but what that signified I'm sure I couldn't say).

Every cartoon was a ripe piece of innuendo as Bear or one of his friends invariably ended up in a compromising situation with a dishevelled dolly. If you enjoy the kind of broad British humour you get in programmes like the Benny Hill show and the Carry On films, you will probably enjoys these cartoon. Wildly un-politically correct and still raising a smile after all these years.
bear.jpg

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

many thanks for tracking down these images, Robbie-----this is exactly how I remember this panel-strip, and I intend getting hold of these collections of this sadly-neglected strip by POSY. Much appreciated, mate!

Phoenix: give my regards to JOYCE......PS: was she a 'looker?'

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote: Phoenix: give my regards to JOYCE......PS: was she a 'looker?'
She kept her eyes closed, I did the looking.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

hope she looked nice, Phoenicks.....