TV COMIC - Worzel Gummidge?

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Kremmen

TV COMIC - Worzel Gummidge?

Post by Kremmen »

I've been looking in the Look-in website forum, and something's been asked there that has got me curious. Someone's asked if TV Comic ever did a Worzel Gummidge strip before Look-in and Marvel Comics. Apparently Worzel first appeared in Look-in, then his own Marvel comic, but it's got me wondering, as I can't help thinking TV Comic had him first. Does anyone out there know where Worzel appeared first?

Captain Storm

Re: TV COMIC - Worzel Gummidge?

Post by Captain Storm »

He appears in 2 strips from 1982 here if you're interested?
http://www.savefile.com/projects/808578760

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

The TV series started in Feb 1979, and ended in April - the first run of the 'Look-in' strip started the week after, so i doubt 'TV Comic' would have had a chance...

However this first run was only for a few weeks, drawn by Arthur Ranson, then started again in 1980 for about a year and a half, so perhaps it was this first run you recall?

8)

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

In the late 1960's my kid brother used to get a nursery title, can't remember which at the moment, that did contain Wurzel Gummidge but they may have been illustrated stories rather than picture strips.

Kremmen

Post by Kremmen »

[quote:1665917cbb="Shaqui"]The TV series started in Feb 1979, and ended in April - the first run of the 'Look-in' strip started the week after, so i doubt 'TV Comic' would have had a chance...

However this first run was only for a few weeks, drawn by Arthur Ranson, then started again in 1980 for about a year and a half, so perhaps it was this first run you recall?

8)[/quote:1665917cbb]

Looks like my memory's playing tricks with me! IIRC, didn't Mike Noble do the second run of Worzel Gummidge? I'd guess that when the strip ended in Look-in it wouldn't be long before the Marvel monthly appeared. Was it so successful that they made Worzel Gummidge a weekly title?

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

[quote:ae84d1aafb="Kremmen"]I'd guess that when the strip ended in Look-in it wouldn't be long before the Marvel monthly appeared. Was it so successful that they made Worzel Gummidge a weekly title?[/quote:ae84d1aafb]

I can't be certain but the Marvel Wg was aimed at a far younger readership, with strips that had separate pictures and captions like most nursery titles... main artist seemed to be John Cooper who, IIRC, illustrated the WG annuals...

:?

Kremmen

Post by Kremmen »

IIRC, the Marvel monthly WG was indeed aimed at a younger readership - but ISTR seeing a WG weekly title, possibly from the same company. The paper was different to the monthly, which had shiny paper only on the covers and possibly the centrespread with the rest of the comic/magazine being on a matt(?) type paper. IIRC the weekly was printed on similar paper to 80s Look-in, with more colour, if that makes sense.