First comic you ever read

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

First comic you ever read

Post by SID »

A quiet evening in adding new additions to my Dandy collection and I was just wondering:

"What was the first comic I remember ever reading?"

Now I am not talking about the first comic I had regularly which would have been the Dandy (or was it the Beano? I cannot remember). I mean the first comic I remember ever looking at.

For me it was Bobo Bunny. I don't remember what was in but I do remember the title.

Since I don't remember much about it, I must have quickly moved onto the Dandy and the Beano.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

SID

Re: First comic you ever read

Post by SID »

Hmmm. Found some Bobo Bunnys for sale in eBay and I can see that even at 5 I may have preferred the likes of the Dandy. :D
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

It was most probably a Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles one, a licensed cash-in. I remember virtually nothing about it other than one of them looking up in horror at some descending terror in a sewer. My memory has turned the descending terror into M.Bison from the Street Fighter videogames (he looked vaguely like a big soviet kommisar crossed with a samurai), which is of course impossible.
Then when that ended my mum got The Beano instead, it was the first issue with the "Pink Glove" in it (1991/2), i got it almost every week up until 1998/9

There may have been some other nursery comic before the Turtles, but i'd have to actually see it to remember it.

NP

Post by NP »

Harlod Hare comic. Then Huckleberry Hound weekly. Then Beano. Then Dandy. Then WHAM! I could go on...!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

NP wrote:Harlod Hare comic.
Me too! Harold Hare's Own Paper number one - with free mask and balloon! :)

- Phil Rushton

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

A copy of Yogi Bear's Own in December 1963, swiftly followed by The Dandy No.1155 (Jan. 11th 1964).

I've managed to get a copy of that Dandy back, but the Yogi Bear's Own is long gone. I remember it featured a log cabin on the cover, with snow, and had a yellow border to the art. I've never found it on eBay etc.

I only ever had that one issue of Yogi Bear, then it was straight out of the nursery comics and onto The Dandy (soon followed by The Beano). As I've said elsewhere, Black Bob taught me to read before I started school. (And as Nigel P pointed out, "is there no end to that dog's talents?" :lol: )

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Either Rainbow or Thomas The Tank Engine, used to get both regularly. They were both the type with captions instead of speech bubbles, based on, of course, Children's ITV programmes. Nursery comics. I got into The Beano because my brother had a few copies from around 1993, and I recieved the 1991 Dandy Book as a Christmas present. Those ended up starting my collection.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Does anyone know a strip about a girl who had a patch on her skirt when she touched it something magic happened? I can remember something like that maybe it was in Bimbo/Playhour, what ever comic that was in that was the first.

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

Sounds like Bizzy Lizzy who was a character on the Watch With Mother show Picture Book. Don't know if she appeared in any comics.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Pippin..
Fun-to-do (making things comic..had The Mr Men in it)
Playhour

I liked anything with the Mr Men in it.I was a huge fan..or obsessed :D

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizzy_Lizzy
Bizzy Lizzy was in Pippin from 1967, when she also got her own TV series.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

First one I remember was the Beano!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Thanks digi & Robbie Moubert
Pippin was my first comic and what a comic.

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

I was started early on Teddy Bear (I have a hazy recollection that all the characters were puns e.g. Uncle Fred Bear) and like Lew I could also read before I went to school thanks to comics.

ComicCrazy

Post by ComicCrazy »

I'm sure it was an issue of the dandy...