Rare Summer Special Found

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Rare Summer Special Found

Post by steelclaw »

Sally Comic only run for 1 year 9 Months, it cost 3/- so this Summer Special must have been issued in 1969 or 1970.
Well I reckon it's rare anyway, doe's anyone have a copy?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Rare Summer Special Found

Post by colcool007 »

It's rare enough that Al doesn't have an image of it in the Specials Library, so I would say that counts as rare. How did you pick that one up SC?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

colcool007 wrote:It's rare enough that Al doesn't have an image of it in the Specials Library, so I would say that counts as rare. How did you pick that one up SC?
Actually I should have said 'Summer Special Saw' on ebay. :shock:

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I've never seen this Annual before, from 1967.

I've noticed Al has put The Valiant Space Specials 1967 & 1968 in the Holiday/Summer Specials, they are Books.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The Pirate book is mostly assembled from old Look & Learn features by Ron Embleton (though I think the cover is new at least).

As far as the Space Specials are concerned it's worth remembering that the very first Valiant Summer Special also took the form of a softback book. Over the years such Specials (as opposed to Annuals) came in a variety of formats.

- Phil Rushton

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I don't think the first Valiant summer special was quite like these Space Specials.

A price tag inside like an Annual, A spine with the date on, Annual size and thick pages.

It's more like a 'Special Valiant Book' rather then a 'Valiant Special Summer/Holiday Special' :D

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

There's also a "Valiant Book of TV's Sexton Blake", when there was a TV series about him in the 60's (now sadly only one episode is known to exist). It's a collection of strips (better than the strips in Valiant if you ask me, which were rejected Maxwell Hawke strips and read like a lame Scooby Doo impersination), text stories (including the first one from The Union Jack in 1894 - erroneously called "The First Sexton Blake") and features about police work and forensic science (what there was of it in the 60's anyway). That was a softback one... i ought to do a blog feature on it (well, i ought to to a blog feature on anything)

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Another rare special from 1967 that isn't in the Summer/Holiday Specials.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

A rare TV Comic summer special from 1962.
Al's earliest one is from 1963.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

A 1994 Bunty summer special not in 'Specials'

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

I have the Valiant Space Special 1967.It was an Annual(note the inside year date of 1966),which of course would have come out in the winter preceeding the actual year it represented.It was a softcover book as indicated and included(I may be wrong)all reprints that had some "Space" plot attached to them.

The Cap.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

A 3rd Buster + Monster summer special from 1984 not in Specials section.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Seeing the earlier post reminds me of a TV Comic summer special (at least I think it was a summer special) which featured a colour Popeye story on the back cover. In one of the panels Popeye was struck on the head with a girder or somesuch, and the artist had drawn 'wham!' lines emanating from Popeye's noggin.

The thing that affected me at the time was the colouring. The 'wham!' lines had been coloured red, making it seem that Popeye had suffered terrible cranial injuries. I remember thinking it was rather distasteful :lol:

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

An nice Special.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

steelclaw wrote:Another rare special from 1967 that isn't in the Summer/Holiday Specials.

Hope you had those images archived, they've been deleted.