Please Help

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

pfcdre

Please Help

Post by pfcdre »

Hi everyone i am racking my brain trying to remember the annual i had in my younger years it would have been around 1976 and the story that really got my attention was a sci-fi story where the two fighting factions were dressed like roman soldiers,also one side was dressed in red the other blue i think and the ships they flew were kind of boomarang shaped with big windows in the middle. i hope this rings a bell with someone cheers.

Niblet

Re: Please Help

Post by Niblet »

Sounds to me like The Trigan Empire, about which I know very little, but have a look here http://www.triganempire.co.uk/home/index.php

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

Niblet wrote:Sounds to me like The Trigan Empire, about which I know very little, but have a look here http://www.triganempire.co.uk/home/index.php
I agree. A number of collections have been published and these sound like the earlier adventures which were a sci-fi variation on the Roman Empire.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

This beautifully-painted strip was reprinted in Vulcan around 1975-6 along with SPIDER and Mytek the Mighty.

Hope this helps.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

PC, could it have been this annual? You would have had it around Christmas 1976.
Last edited by colcool007 on 23 Jul 2011, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Make it look nicer
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Or maybe this one :D
VulcanAnnual_1977.jpeg

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

For what it's worth I think this was the first British 'annual' devoted to the Trigan Empire. As you can see those 'boomerang-shaped ships' feature prominently on the cover:

- Phil Rushton

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Ah thanks Phil, I was trying to find that one. I knew it existed but just didn't know what to look for.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

philcom55 wrote:For what it's worth I think this was the first British 'annual' devoted to the Trigan Empire. As you can see those 'boomerang-shaped ships' feature prominently on the cover:

- Phil Rushton
Published 1973, I think. I recall my father buying it along with the Dan Dare Annual 1974 for my birthday. Well, I say 'for me'... I didn't really know of either before getting them so I suspect Dad got them for himself, really.

But I still have both. :D The Trigan one has, I think, the first two stories complete. The Dan Dare annual has abridged versions of 'The Red Moon Mystery' and 'Safari In Space', from the original art too, so better reproduction from the more recent omnibuses.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Yes, I'd forgotten they came out together. You're right about the excellent reproduction in the Dan Dare annual, though I seem to recall that IPC butchered loads of original artwork in reformatting it. A shame they didn't commission Don Lawrence to draw a new cover for this as well as the Trigan Empire Annual since the one they used was pretty awful (and his Dan Dare cover for the 1965 Eagle annual was a real classic).

- Phil R.

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

philcom55 wrote:Yes, I'd forgotten they came out together. You're right about the excellent reproduction in the Dan Dare annual, though I seem to recall that IPC butchered loads of original artwork in reformatting it.

True, and it's always been my contention - even the Official Dan Dare Clubs seemed ignorant of the fact - that the first several pages of 'The Red Moon Mystery' were redrawn for the 1974 Annual, as the frames differ from those reprinted from issues of 'Eagle' in subsequent volumes.

I have an inkling, going by style, the artist who redrew them may have been Eric Eden. What does anyone else think?

:?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I remember when Vulcan was launched and wondering why we in London were not to have it. I got the first London release and remember each story having a massive catch-up paragraph at the beginning of each story which was no compensation for not having the actual comics.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

It was a test run to see if there'd be sufficient demand for a national launch (in the same way that some chocolate bars, snacks and breakfast cereals are tried out in selected regions).

In fact I've often wondered whether Maggie Thatcher got the idea of starting her Poll Tax in Scotland from IPC's experience with Vulcan! :roll:

- Phil Rushton