Anyone know of this comic?

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Fac51

Anyone know of this comic?

Post by Fac51 »

Hi I've got a marvel comic with a price of 8p called the super heroes ,is this the end of the x-men.Also has the cat vs commander kraven.Does anyone know anything about this comic as I carn't find anything about it anywhere on the internet.Any help would be appreaciated.

tony ingram

Re: Anyone know of this comic?

Post by tony ingram »

The Superheroes was a reprint title published by Marvel UK which ran for 50 issues between the 8th March 1975 and the 14th February 1976 before merging with Spider-Man Comics Weekly. I'm not sure which specific issue you have, but I suspect it's from somewhere around the middle of the run, since The Cat began in issue #31.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Issue 35
http://www.comicvine.com/the-super-heroes-/37-325019/

You got lucky, that was only added to Comic Vine last week.

It appears that they made an error on there, as Kraven should've been called Kraken. The Cat story in The Super-Heroes #35 is reprinted from The Cat #3.
http://www.comicvine.com/the-cat-from-f ... /37-13100/

I think the X-Men story is reprinted from The X-Men #20, which had been reprinted in 1971 as X-Men #71.
http://www.comicvine.com/x-men-i-lucifer/37-8553/
http://www.comicvine.com/x-men-i-lucifer/37-11611/

And Giant-Man might be this one, Tales to Astonish #50.
http://www.comicvine.com/tales-to-aston ... p/37-6831/

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Nice bit of research, there! Just to add, what you were actually getting in all three cases was half a story (in the Cat's case, the first half of The Cat #3) with maybe a new splash page at the start if it was the second half of the story being featured.

I noticed the Commander Kraven reference but assumed it was a typo on the OP's part until I saw that cover again. Bet somebody got a No-Prize for that.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Wow, a post from the Hacienda. Two of my favourite things - 1970s Marvel UK and Factory Records.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

starscape wrote:Wow, a post from the Hacienda. Two of my favourite things - 1970s Marvel UK and Factory Records.
I loved Marvel UK. It doesn't get enough attention these days. Remember Timesmasher? Or the lunacy that was Apeslayer?

starscape

Post by starscape »

Yeah, where someone thought it was a great idea for the Super-Heroes to feature action movie star, Doc Savage, whilst Planet of the Apes featured cosmic heroes Warlock and Captain Marvel. I half expect the Titans to have Frankenstein, whilst Dracula Lives! has Captain America.

I prefer Marvel UK to Marvel US. The US versions don't seem, I don't know, serious enough. Just looks more impressive in black and white. I also get far more nostalgia from British Marvel.

It's weird how DC never really capitalised on the UK market. Their version of the Super-Heroes was pretty poor, featuring outdated Sixties stories. I know there were the Power Comics reprint and Double Double Comics but only the London Editions Batman monthly seemed to get anywhere.

And to think they could have reprinted Shooter/Levitz Legion of Super-Heroes, Aparo's Batman, Adam's Green Lantern/Green Arrow. That would have been far more inspiring than decades old stories of Batman meeting childish aliens or a straight-laced Hal Jordan.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Fac51

Post by Fac51 »

It was issue 35 and thanks for all the info.very fast and comprehensive.

The post is from an old timer who used to goto the Hac when it was good ,when I got my first pc many many years ago and sites started asking for a username it just popped into my head and because nobody else uses it i carried on. Well done for spotting it only a few ever have :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Thanks. www.comicvine.com, where I found the info, is a really great site, in my opinion. It was recently bought out by Gamespot (along with it's sister site Giant Bomb), so there'll be some changes soon. For the better or for the worse, that's to be determined.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

starscape wrote:Yeah, where someone thought it was a great idea for the Super-Heroes to feature action movie star, Doc Savage, whilst Planet of the Apes featured cosmic heroes Warlock and Captain Marvel. I half expect the Titans to have Frankenstein, whilst Dracula Lives! has Captain America.
That was half the fun, though! Like The Av engers featuring the Savage Sword of Conan, one of the least likely pairings in comics (and they liked it so much that Conan even made it into the Avengers Annuals and the Avengers Special Edition they published in the early eighties).
I prefer Marvel UK to Marvel US. The US versions don't seem, I don't know, serious enough. Just looks more impressive in black and white. I also get far more nostalgia from British Marvel.
That's partly why I've bought a number of their 'Essential' reprint editions. Tomb of Dracula in particular really benefits from being reprinted in black & white.

It's weird how DC never really capitalised on the UK market. Their version of the Super-Heroes was pretty poor, featuring outdated Sixties stories. I know there were the Power Comics reprint and Double Double Comics but only the London Editions Batman monthly seemed to get anywhere.

And to think they could have reprinted Shooter/Levitz Legion of Super-Heroes, Aparo's Batman, Adam's Green Lantern/Green Arrow. That would have been far more inspiring than decades old stories of Batman meeting childish aliens or a straight-laced Hal Jordan.
The only issue of The Super-Heroes Monthly I really remember was the one that reprinted the Paul Levitz penned origin of the JSA. Now that, I liked!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

starscape wrote: I prefer Marvel UK to Marvel US. The US versions don't seem, I don't know, serious enough. Just looks more impressive in black and white. I also get far more nostalgia from British Marvel.

I have to agree About the black & white that is why i have started buying the essential marvel graphic novels i have about 40 now of the classic xmen ,spidey,FF,cap & avengers.They really do remind of reading the old marvel uk titles when i was a kid except now i dont have to wait a week for the next part.Still got plenty more to buy though.I only have 1 DC showcase superman & i will start on those when im done with marvel.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Was the Superheroes printed in landscape format for a while? I have a memory of one of the British Marvels being printed this way. My current bedtime reading is Daredevil Essentials vol 2 and Colan's artwork certainly looks better in black and white.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

stevezodiac wrote:Was the Superheroes printed in landscape format for a while? I have a memory of one of the British Marvels being printed this way.
No, you're thinking of either Super Spider-Man & the Super-Heroes (formerly Spider-Man Comics Weekly) or The Titans. Or possibly Super Spider-Man & the Titans. Not The Super-Heroes itself.

I actually liked the landscape format. It felt like you were getting more for your money.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Did it reprint two original Marvel pages to one landscape page? Much smaller of course.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

stevezodiac wrote:Did it reprint two original Marvel pages to one landscape page? Much smaller of course.
Yep, two pages per page, side on.