Another comic bites the dust

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Another comic bites the dust

Post by SID »

Just bought the last ever issue of CLiNT ( 2.8 ) from WHSmiths in Basildon, Essex today.

I know it had mixed reviews at this site but I always liked it.

Ah well, I am off to update my avatar and signature.
Attachments
CLiNT 2.8 - the last ever issue.
CLiNT 2.8 - the last ever issue.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Another comic bites the dust

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

As soon as I realized the title of this was designed to look like an especially offensive excursion in the newstands, I vowed I would never pick up this publication.
'nuff said.........

SID

Post by SID »

Thanks for finding the article, Digi.

Seems to me that the people involved just lost interest in the comic. At least they produced a final farewell issue.

Anyway, I enjoyed it while it lasted. Though to be honest, despite Millar's original boasts, it would never be a 2000AD or Eagle. More like a Warrior.
Last edited by SID on 15 Aug 2013, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

starscape

Post by starscape »

I picked it up very occasionally and thought a number of stories were okay or better. However, Millar went out of his way to put off anyone vaguely 'mature' in age. I would just come away thinking, Im not supporting that offensive little git. Doubt I was the only one.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

I thought CLiNT had a lot of potential which it never really lived up to. Still, it's a shame to see it go. One less comic on Britain's already sparse newsagents shelves.

django

Post by django »

I liked Clint too, the biggest problem was the infrequency each new issue come out, I know they said that Kick Ass was their Judge Dredd and they didn't want to put out an issue without an episode but I'd say it was more important to get a new issue out every month!.

Mr McScotty

Post by Mr McScotty »

I was also put off with the stupid title he gave the book and I doubt the casual reader got it - I certainly wasn't a great fan of CLint to begin with but enjoyed it after the refresh (vol 2) and loved the new format with the larger pages, non glossy paper and articles etc - I do like Millars work (but in small doses) and not sure an entire comic of his work, work similar to his style would be the way to go but to be fair the book lasted a lot longer than I thought it would and I certainly thought the release of Kick Ass 2 would have given the book a boost / reason to stay for a while - I will miss it though was good to have a mag I could pick up locally (when I wanted it ) rather than pop into Glasgow etc

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

This title had all the Hallmarks of being aimed soundly and squarely at the 'post-moderne' luvvie market, destined to be adorned on endless coffee-tables, but usually never actually leafed through---the epitome of pretense, alongside The Collected Karl Marx and Obscure d'Art circa 1917-1929, all on deluxe import at highly inflated prices, but never actually read.

CLINT more than likely fitted the bill very nicely on that score......

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:This title had all the Hallmarks of being aimed soundly and squarely at the 'post-moderne' luvvie market, destined to be adorned on endless coffee-tables, but usually never actually leafed through---the epitome of pretense, alongside The Collected Karl Marx and Obscure d'Art circa 1917-1929, all on deluxe import at highly inflated prices, but never actually read.

CLINT more than likely fitted the bill very nicely on that score......
Well, I wouldn't describe myself as a 'luvvie', nor do I own a coffee table, but I did buy every issue of CLiNT and it had its faults but pretentiousness wasn't one of them.

Personally I liked CLiNT. With its over the top cartoon violence and attitude it was like an Action for the modern age. It also boasted some top notch talent, with the likes of Dave Gibbons and John Romita Jr on board. I wasn't keen on Frankie Boyle's strip though, but then I'm not keen on his stand up routine either.

The actual title of the comic couldn't have done it any favours. Beyond its initial joke, (which surely would only amuse even the most juvenile fan for a moment), the name of 'CLiNT' was pointless and said nothing about the content. The lateness of issues would have gone against it too.

I think its main problem though was that in its early issues (important for attracting an audience) it was using its covers to court the comedy fans, with photo covers of Frankie Boyle, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and David Mitchell. But just because most of those guys like comics it doesn't follow that their fans will appreciate strips. And if they did, they'd probably prefer humour strips, which were notably absent from CLiNT.

It looked like it couldn't make its mind up if it was a comic, or a magazine about comedy, and by the time it had drifted towards the former it was too late. I think it fell between two stools. And no, that's not meant as an incentive for a toilet humour punchline.

John Freeman has some wise words to say on his website. Worth reading:

http://downthetubes.net/?p=11617&fb_source=pubv1

django

Post by django »

I also think there was a general lack of interest from all parties, Mark Millar was probably more interested in writing and his gig at Fox and Titan were probably more interested in launching their own line of American style comics, if anything the continued existence of Clint would damage their sales!.