Penny Dreadfuls

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Penny Dreadfuls

Post by colcool007 »

Peter Hansen is looking for some help on Penny Dreadfuls. Here is the link on Facebook.

And the text for not who are not acclimatised to the various social media feeds.
I have already posted this post on TMW of BC without a single response, so hoping someone on this blog can help!! I have been asked by Paul Gravett if I have any Penny Dreadfuls. The answer is yes a few but not here in Canada. A friend of Paul's is pulling together material for an exhibition based on the genre and I thought I would put the word out through this group to see if anyone has any. We are not talking about the post 1900 Aldine stories and the like. We are talking about murders and vampires and such. If anyone has any please contact Paul as soon as possible. For the uninitiated here is a link to a BBC program that discussed the topic. I'm sure any assistance would be appreciated. http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201605 ... y-dreadful
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Re: Penny Dreadfuls

Post by stevezodiac »

How do we get in touch with Peter if we wouldn't touch Facebook with a barge pole?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

If you PM me an email, I can pass it to him via private message and he can contact you that way Steve.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

It's probably not important. It's just that I came across an article in one of my sixties wild west magazines about the Beadles dime novels which are probably the American version of Penny Dreadfuls but I see they are well enough covered on Wikipedia.

Reading the wiki page I notice some stories are reprinted from the newspaper sized Fireside Companion of which I have a small collection.