Who was 'RV'?

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Get Marwood & I

Who was 'RV'?

Post by Get Marwood & I »

Hello everyone. New guy in town :)

Back in 1964/1965, following a three year run of pence printed copies courtesy of L Miller & Co, these 9d price stamps could be found on many cents priced UK distributed Charlton Comics:

1965-02 Fightin' Navy #119 RV Stamp Crop.jpg

Does anyone happen to know or recall who RV were? Their shield stamp can also be found on a number of Charlton Horror magazines too:

Horror Monsters #7 Spring 1964 (RV Series #1 2&6) crop.jpg

Thanking you

Get Marwood & I

Re: Who was 'RV'?

:coat:

old paw broon

Post by old paw broon »

Well, it's not recreational vehicle. I don't recall ever having noticed the stamps but I've posted a question on CB+. You never know, someone might come up with the goods.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I love a challenge. I’ll have a chat on some of the comic based FB groups and see if anyone knows.

Get Marwood & I

Thanks guys :cheers:

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I’ve asked around and the best answer I’ve found was from the one and only Steve Holland who suggests “ Might be Roberts & Vinter, who were book distributors in the 1960s. They became publishers — of Hank Janson, New Worlds SF magazine and Compact Books — and probably had a finger in many other pies, like distributing comics.” which sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Get Marwood & I

Adam Eterno wrote:
06 Jul 2021, 18:01
I’ve asked around and the best answer I’ve found was from the one and only Steve Holland who suggests “ Might be Roberts & Vinter, who were book distributors in the 1960s. They became publishers — of Hank Janson, New Worlds SF magazine and Compact Books — and probably had a finger in many other pies, like distributing comics.” which sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Marvellous, thank you Adam, very much. I'll start digging to see what I can find.... :)

Get Marwood & I

Quick update - I've found quite a few references now to Roberts & Vinter online, and connections to both Thorpe & Porter and Gold Star. The timings fit, so it seems highly likely that the stamps I posted above are theirs. There is a rarer 'RW' variation of the stamp towards the end of the run and, lo and behold, a David Warburton seemed to be a Roberts & Vinter person - perhaps his W replaced Vinter's V? I'm hoping to find a smoking gun example that definitively ties the shield stamp to them, perhaps on or inside one of their other know distributed publications - fingers crossed....

old paw broon

Post by old paw broon »

Thank you both for your digging. Very interesting. I posted a query on a couple of sites and got absolutely zilch.