Edinburgh Comic and Toy Mart

If you know of an upcoming event or you would like to discuss a recent one post here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paw broon

Edinburgh Comic and Toy Mart

Post by paw broon »

This Saturday at The Counting House, West Nicholson St, Edinburgh:-
http://www.herocomicshop.com/HEROCON/index.html
Entry free, which is always good. Some of us will be there and with any luck, we'll bump into some others.

starscape

Re: Edinburgh Comic and Toy Mart

Post by starscape »

Returning to live in Scotland in November, so keep the updates coming!
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Went today, but it was fairly low key in the amount of folk there. I missed Paw Broon, which was annoying but I did pick up a few comics and found a movie that I really really want to watch. Electric Man looks like being my kind of movie. :D
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I assume that by the time you'd fallen out ofbed and eventually got to the mart, I'd sloped off to the pub with Vince and co. As often happens, time wore on and we didn't get back till after 3.
Apart from all that, the mart was low key but, although I did not buy any new "mainstream" comocs, I did buy small press Savant (I like Will Pickering) and Electric Man with art by Graham Manley.
Russell has that dvd and he says it is most enjoyable. Set in Deadhed Comics, too.
Keep going, Colin, we'll get itright eventually.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'm afraid Edinburgh's too far for me. I went to the Manchester Comic Mart instead yesterday where I picked up a few interesting items, but better by far were a couple of old annuals and a bunch of 1950s 'Tit-Bits' I got beforehand from a market stall round the corner. Strangely enough, one of the annuals (the 'Super Duper Comicbus Annual', with original dustjacket - containing lots of weird & wonderful British super heroes) was published in Glasgow! :)

Tit-Bits really did feature some amazing comic strip material during the mid-1950s. I'll try to post some examples when I've had chance to sort through them.

- Phil Rushton

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Nice one, Phil. I'm jealous as I have never seen that annual. I'm looking at an old British guide and, although there is nothing listed with that exact title, #17 is listed as Super Duper Comic Annual.
Cartoon Art Productions were based in Glasgow and did original material and American reprints and (a) later edition(s) of Super Duper featured Fiction House reprints. They reprinted Ghost Rider stories (the original, not the Marvel one)
There seems to have been a lot of Dennis M Reader art and some Paddy Brennan also.
On the subject of marts and cons, there was a bit of discussion yesterday about the increasing no. of them in Scotland and the higher attendances for them. A couple of folk suggested it was the Big Bang Theory effect, while others offered the opinion that superhero movies, gongs for Morrison and Millar, Superman's anniversary, the rise of cosplay, were all possible explanations. We've just had the best attended ever Collectormania at Braehead, the debacle with the queues at SECC, this weekends E/B mart, the Panopticon ongoing marts, the summer, sold-out Glasgow Con and another 2 marts to come before Christmas. There is also the increasing presence of small press creators at the events. Something is fuelling this upsurge in interest in comics and ancillary entertainments. Long may it last

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

That annual really is a curiosity Paw. As you can see from the scans below it's called 'Super-Duper Comicbus Annual' on the frontispiece and 'Super Duper Omnibus Annual' on the dust-jacket (while the spine shows it as 'Super Duper Omnibus Annual 1949').

As the board covers are plain blue with no writing at all, and bearing in mind that most surviving copies are unlikely to have a dust-jacket, it's hardly surprising that there is some confusion about it. I'm guessing that it's made up from individual copies of Super Duper Comic bound together, though I could be wrong (characters include Power-Man and Electro Girl - both by Reader).

Goodness knows what Batman's doing there though! :?

- Phil Rushton

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I think we must have just missed you. I am glad that you picked up that Electric Man poster. I was eyeing it up myself as it did look good. But we had gone through our pennies by the time I found it.

When is the next one again?

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

The next mart at the Panopticon is 30th. Nov.
http://www.britanniapanopticon.org/comicmart.html

There is also a mart at The Renfield Centre on 2nd. Nov. More info. here:-
http://www.glasgowcomiccon.com/
This is by the team who organised the Glasgow Summer Con.
One again, I hope to meet some of you there - and if Colin lets me know "roughly" when he'll be about, I'll try and stay out of the pub till he turns up. :lol:

"Goodness knows what Batman's doing there though! " philcom55
CAP had the rights to Fiction House material, apparently, but not DC, so I don't know either.
Apart from that, I did a search and I still can't find out anything about the album. Powerman, Electrogirl, Phantom Maid etc., I have examples of. Doesn't stop your find being exciting.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Should be able to go to these :cheers:
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Great. Now we are getting somewhere. Just wish I had a vague idea where. :)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

OK, I give up. I checked the ComicCon link and cannot find anything. So if you have any more gen Paw, I will gladlly take you up on it.

I reckon that Karen and I will make at least one of those, but which one is a darn fine question. :lol:

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Colin and anyone else confused by the lack of info. on that link, the mart is the 2nd. Nov. at the Renfield Centre, 260 Bath St., Glasgow. This is a church hall on the road down to the King's Theatre.

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

Funnily enough, of all the swap meets, comic and toy marts, memorabilia fairs and similar events that I attended over the years, I could never find the one thing I was looking for. However, one mention on my blog and I got a response from someone in Australia who had the actual item. It's now mine - after over 45 years of trying to reacquire it.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Kid Robson wrote:Funnily enough, of all the swap meets, comic and toy marts, memorabilia fairs and similar events that I attended over the years, I could never find the one thing I was looking for. However, one mention on my blog and I got a response from someone in Australia who had the actual item. It's now mine - after over 45 years of trying to reacquire it.
That's excellent news. Glad at least one of your comic quests has had a happy ending.

And do we have a time for the 2nd November?