Glasgow comic mart

If you know of an upcoming event or you would like to discuss a recent one post here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

bigd-ek

Re: Glasgow comic mart

Post by bigd-ek »

Hi Paw,
Thanks again for posting a reminder of this mart - I'll definitely be there trying to treat myself to some personal Christmas goodies - hopefully there will be some British annuals and comics available?

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Hugh Campbell is listed as one of the dealers and he usually has some British material. Not sure who the other dealers will be. I heard that Arthur Boyd has been at the Bellahouston art & collectibles fairs and was selling pocket libraries and other goodies. Needless to say, I haven't been there. Coo's tail, that's me!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

What a good day out, apart from the weather, that is. There was a good selection of British comics on a couple of tables plus 2 of the dealers had some nice and reasonably priced silver age American comics. Met a lot of folk, drank tea, ate buns, bought comics.

bigd-ek

Post by bigd-ek »

So disappointed that I couldn't spend "serious" money on some of the UK comics available (although I enjoyed looking), as our washing machine packed up on Thursday night and I had to keep the bulk of my spare xmas cash to buy a new machine later on Saturday afternoon, so my buys were restricted to approx 30 US comics mostly at only 50p each and the first Miracleman "A Dream of Flying" Eclipse Book for a very reasonable £5!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

There is a comic mart in Glasgow at the Renfield center on March 14th. Free entry and I think it's doors open at 11am.

bigd-ek

Post by bigd-ek »

Thanks for the reminder Paw, I should be able to attend and hopefully see some goodies to buy

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Well, I was there. Anybody else?
Small but perfectly formed (the mart that is, not me -although, I don't know though?) it was an enjoyable few hours, great conversation, tea and cakes, lots of comics and I went a bit ott, buying quite a wee pile of Dell westerns, a couple of British reprints and a Dell Ben Casey. I was also given 3 British western reprints, a few 2000ad and a couple of Look and Learn issues. How good is that?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Glad to see you enjoyed it Paw. I would have been there but saving my pennies for Potterow next month. Plus, we have to take her highness to DeeCon as well.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

There is a comic mart at the Trades Hall, Glasgow on 8th. August. Details here:-
http://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Glasgow ... /12478826/

If any of you are going to be there, I'll be along as a punter. Just in case you fancy a chat. :D

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

paw broon wrote:There is a comic mart at the Trades Hall, Glasgow on 8th. August. Details here:-
http://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Glasgow ... /12478826/

If any of you are going to be there, I'll be along as a punter. Just in case you fancy a chat. :D
I would love to go but we have just had to pay for a couple of luxuries like road tax, car insurance...

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Ah well, you see, those little luxuries will soak up the cash. Anyway, we've just had the painter and the joiner in, and I'm trying to raise the readies for a London trip to coincide with the Sept. National. Not going to be easy, but I'm sure I can persuade my wife to do without some of those wee luxuries like food and the hairdresser! I just fancy a wallow in comics at a big mart.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

A bit late in posting this as my pc had given up the ghost, so, better late than never, I can reveal that the mart was most enjoyable on Sat. The new venue at the Trades Hall is right in the city centre and a daudle to get to, being 5 mins. from Queen St. , Argyle St. stations and 10 mins. from Central, with bus stops outside. The 2 halls are spacious, light, clean with impressive, classic decoration. More importantly, as well as jewellery stalls (comics related) there were lots of comics and tables of comics based art. Being interested in the comics side, I was aware of a distinct lack of British material but, fotunately for me, I can embrace many different styles of consequential art and so, I bought a small pile of stuff, incl. An IW reprint title, Top Adventure Comics #2featuring a Black Dwarf story. Great stuff and seriously obscure. Also, some of the Red Circle revival of The Crusaders and the dark, Black Hood revival.
Just as enjoyable, although I have only read #1, is the 4 part, It Came, gloriously silly entertainment.
A good day out. Friends were met, chats were had, coffee was drunk, bacon rolls were consumed, and apart from the dealer who always says stuff like, "quiet, not doing much business, not like the old days", most folk seemed to go away reasonably happy.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

There appear to be 2 marts in Glasgow this Saturday, 3rd. October. One is at the Panopticon, Trongate - a few minutes from Argyle St. Railway station and buses right outside. The other one is on at Trades Hall, a few hundred yards from The Panopticon, at 85, Glassford St. Again a few minutes from railway stations and bus stops right outside.
https://www.facebook.com/events/356309194579066/
http://www.britanniapanopticon.org/

Heaven only knows why organisers can't avoid each others marts. Too many marts close or clashing is not good for punters. Scotland's population is too small to support this sort of doubling up. People will get fed up and develop mart fatigue. Despite the fact that these two marts can be visited easily, being only a few hundred yards apart, will the general public do that? I will, but I'm a comics addict.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

paw broon wrote:There appear to be 2 marts in Glasgow this Saturday, 3rd. October. One is at the Panopticon, Trongate - a few minutes from Argyle St. Railway station and buses right outside. The other one is on at Trades Hall, a few hundred yards from The Panopticon, at 85, Glassford St. Again a few minutes from railway stations and bus stops right outside.
https://www.facebook.com/events/356309194579066/
http://www.britanniapanopticon.org/

Heaven only knows why organisers can't avoid each others marts. Too many marts close or clashing is not good for punters. Scotland's population is too small to support this sort of doubling up. People will get fed up and develop mart fatigue. Despite the fact that these two marts can be visited easily, being only a few hundred yards apart, will the general public do that? I will, but I'm a comics addict.
Considering that it is now in the run up to the Festive season, this is at least 5 events that I am aware of in Scotland. We have these two marts on Saturday, the Dundee LitFest in the last week of October, the Edinburgh Festive Comic Mart and Dundee's Geekmania in the first weekend of December.

I fear we are now looking at an embarrassment of riches. I might manage Saturday if I can cadge a lift with someone, but if not, I doubt that I will go as the last mart had me trawling through the bargain boxes to stave off the boredom!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Actually, I've just had a better offer of lunch and vino at Cafe Marlayne in Edinburgh for Saturday. So neither Vince nor I will not be at the Glasgow marts. As I said above, a bit of mart fatigue is creeping in.
My interest being mainly in the obscure corners of comicdom, and having just finished scanning and uploading a 1952 French landscape superhero comic to CB+, I don't think there will be much to pique my curiosity at the marts.
As Colin notes, there are more comic dos before the end of the year, so I'll wait for them :)