Submitting comics to the gallery

A place for you to offer some suggestions for this website or some constructive criticism

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Al
Sir!

Re: Submitting comics to the gallery

Post by Al »

Thank you Blaing and Goof for your uploads, and apologies that they were not uploaded to the website sooner.

Being 'Out of Office' for the past week didn't help me to add these to the Specials section in the past week, but the main problem was that I found them in my Spam folder along with a load of other Comics UK related 'stuff'.

Anyway, they're up now and thanks again.

Al

Goof

Post by Goof »

Al, I’ve just remembered that some time back, I posted to the gallery some details about the dating of the early June & School Friend Holiday Specials, but I wonder if this also got sent to spam. It concerned the first five Specials, four of which are shown with doubtful dates. What I think I sent was:

1) Holiday Special with Lucky’s Living Doll on the cover (shown as 1967). This should be dated 1969. It was advertised in the June & School Friend weekly of 26/7/69.

2) Special Extra with Bessie Bunter and Horse on the cover (shown as 1968). This is indeed 1968 – advert in Princess Tina of 14/9/68.

3) Special Extra with Bessie Bunter eating apples on cover (shown as 1969). Correct as 1969 – advert in Princess Tina 20/9/69.

4) This leaves the Bessie Bunter Fun Book Holiday Special, shown as 1969 but now displaced by Lucky’s Living Doll. I don’t have evidence of an exact date, but I think it’s probably 1967. The format of the J&SF title on the cover matches the format used for the weeklies up until late 1967. From 1968 the weeklies used a different format which is the same as that used for all the other J&SF Specials up to 1971.

Sorry for all this fiddling detail, but I think it’s worth trying to get the gallery entries correct. Even 30th Century were uncertain about the dating of some of these early June Specials.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Do we have a place for the June and School Friend Picture Library Holiday Special?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I'm puzzled, Col, as to why you don't know the answer to the question you've just asked.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Thank you Goof.

I have looked through old emails, including deleted and spam, and cannot find the one that you sent. However, I have adjusted the Specials Gallery as you have detailed. I have kept the 'revised' 1967 Special as a query until we know for sure, but I agree with you about the masthead type being of the earlier issues.

Al

Goof

Post by Goof »

Al wrote:
16 Dec 2019, 14:09
Thank you Goof.

I have looked through old emails, including deleted and spam, and cannot find the one that you sent. However, I have adjusted the Specials Gallery as you have detailed. I have kept the 'revised' 1967 Special as a query until we know for sure, but I agree with you about the masthead type being of the earlier issues.

Al

Can now confirm that this Special is definitely 1967 - advert in J&SF weekly 12/8/67.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Thanks Goof. The database has now been updated.

Al