Forum Problems?

A place for you to offer some suggestions for this website or some constructive criticism

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Shaqui

Forum Problems?

Post by Shaqui »

Over the past few days I've been unable to access the forum, or parts of it, with this message:

FastCGI Error
The FastCGI Handler was unable to process the request.

Error Details:

* The FastCGI process has failed frequently recently. Try the request again in a while
* Error Number: -2147467259 (0x80004005).
* Error Description: Unspecified error

HTTP Error 500 - Server Error.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

- I tried posting in the support section but got the same response...

:cry:

Digifiend

Re: Forum Problems?

Post by Digifiend »

Same issue here. It's been reported in the past and yet it still keeps happening. I wonder if it's just a bug in the forum software, that won't be fixed by database optimisation, which has been tried before. It might be worth Al doing some kind of upgrade, I guess.

Al
Sir!

Re: Forum Problems?

Post by Al »

Hi Guys,

I really wish I could resolve this annoying problem. Two weeks ago I upgraded the forum to the latest version, 3.0.7 and hoped that would cure the problem. But alas, no!

The three most common explanations on the Interweb seems to be either:

1: Corrupt files in the database

2: The server gets a bit confused when the website starts mixing different database types and languages. Comics UK uses both MySQL and MS Access (yes Access, this site was originally written in the year 2000) as well as ASP and PHP coding language.

3: There is a variable called PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS which, by default, is set to 200. Which I believe is how many times the website attempts to retrieve a page before giving up the ghost. This variable can only get reset by the hosting company, who I haven't asked yet, or via a file called .htaccess. I have tried the latter and reset it to 10000. Let's see if that has any effect.

Apologies for the inconvenience, but if it happens again, please give it a minute or so before refreshing the page.

Al