I found a reliable trigger for the 'Internal Server Error'!

A place for you to offer some suggestions for this website or some constructive criticism

Moderators: Al, AndyB

swirlythingy

I found a reliable trigger for the 'Internal Server Error'!

Post by swirlythingy »

I was trying to post my pictures (such as they were) in the 'Fan art' thread, when the forum crashed in the middle of uploading them. Such is life, I thought, and tried again. And it crashed again.

I've now tried several times, and this particular picture never fails to cause a 500 when I click 'Add the file', no matter which post it's attached to. (I even tried doing it beneath this one, with exactly the same result.)

For obvious reasons, I can't provide the evidence here... :roll:

The (successfully uploaded) attachment in the following post is binarily identical:

http://beanoforum.freeforums.org/post656.html#p656
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Al
Sir!

Re: I found a reliable trigger for the 'Internal Server Erro

Post by Al »

Swirly,

I copied your image from the Beano Forum (right click > save as).

Then, in the Upload Attachment section I browsed to where I stored the image on my computer. I didn't resize it (37KB). I then did as you did and pressed the Add the file button and it worked.

I used the new Firefox 4 browser (not that that should have any bearing). I also managed to attach it to a post in the fan Art thread (but have removed it).

Would you like me place the image back in the Fan Art section?

Al
Attachments
SwirlyThingy Graphic
SwirlyThingy Graphic

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Well, I don't know what the new Firefox browser did, but it was supposed to be a PNG, not a GIF! That's almost certainly why it worked.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Whoops! I was amending my post as you were replying to the original.

You're right though and GIF over PNG.

I converted it to a PNG(8) and it uploaded fine. When I converted it to PNG(24) I received the 500 error.

I guess we'll just have to hope that the PHPBB boys will sort it out on the next release. I think I'll pop along to their website to see it I can log this as a problem.

Al
Attachments
Swirly.png

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

I've just successfully reproduced it again.

It's most definitely something to do with the exact byte sequence of the file. Firefox appears to be trying to be too clever, and destroying the original information. My file is 44,618 bytes long - yours is about 10,000 shorter, so it's obviously been recompressed, destroying whatever chance idiosyncrasy of the internal data caused the crash in the first place.

Yep - I've definitely proved that having the exact original data is very important, because I just zipped it and successfully attached it to this post. Try extracting the file from this archive and then uploading it.

EDIT: Argh! This is getting too confusing! Why must more than one person be allowed to log in at once? What was wrong with BBSes, eh? :headbash:
Attachments
ivy.zip
(40.14 KiB) Downloaded 1081 times

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Yep! That file failed quite nicely.

500 Internal Server Error

Al

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

swirlythingy wrote:EDIT: Argh! This is getting too confusing! Why must more than one person be allowed to log in at once? What was wrong with BBSes, eh? :headbash:
BBSes? lol, they're still very commonplace in Japan, for some reason...