Deleting Threads and Posts

A place for you to offer some suggestions for this website or some constructive criticism

Moderators: Al, AndyB

skyromie

Deleting Threads and Posts

Post by skyromie »

Discuss.
The weather is windy.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: Deleting Threads and Posts

Post by AndyB »

If you post off-topic, don't expect the post to stay.

Off-topic posts tend to get more off-topic replies - take out the original post before anyone replies, no problem.

If the off-topic post would be topical elsewhere, it might get split off and sent there instead.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

As of now, copies of deleted posts can be kept for future reference (or even reinstatement) - there now exists a secret forum where they can be put rather than deleted from the database altogether.

It does however mean that we will be keeping records which we can use to report repeat offenders to ISPs if they keep returning after they have been banned.

skyromie

Post by skyromie »

AndyB wrote:It does however mean that we will be keeping records which we can use to report repeat offenders to ISPs if they keep returning after they have been banned.
You can't do anything about that. Unless you're a lawyer and able to create legislation. Governments can't even control the internet, how are you going to succeed?

However, it does highlight something again. You've deleted one of my posts commenting on how posts and threads keep getting deleted, but leave others remaining. Double standards there.

A reminder to all. The Comics UK Politburo will NOT tolerate being criticised and any comments referring to how they moderate and administer this site will ALSO NOT be tolerated. Stick to be controlled, don't step out of line, or you're BANNED.
The weather is windy.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Oh, we can. "dear ISP, please see logs of this person using your services to access our site to abuse others against our site policy, please see email to him asking him to leave and not come back, please see evidence that he did."

The other point is that while most of this site is accessible to the world, posting is a privilege controlled by Al. He has the right to tell users how they may post, and the absolute right to remove any user who does not behave as he asks.

The rules here are simple and we like it that way. They pretty much amount to don't go off-topic and don't attack other users. If an admin calls a thread to order, we expect that all off-topic discussion ends immediately - and off-topic posts from that point on can expect to be removed.

Another issue, directly related, is that each user is responsible for ensuring that their posts are in order. If someone else breaks a rule, that is our problem. Use the ! Button to report it - if you answer with your own off-topic post, you are just as guilty. If you compound it with a personal attack, you are in fact worse.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

skyromie wrote:
AndyB wrote:It does however mean that we will be keeping records which we can use to report repeat offenders to ISPs if they keep returning after they have been banned.
You can't do anything about that. Unless you're a lawyer and able to create legislation. Governments can't even control the internet, how are you going to succeed?

However, it does highlight something again. You've deleted one of my posts commenting on how posts and threads keep getting deleted, but leave others remaining. Double standards there.

A reminder to all. The Comics UK Politburo will NOT tolerate being criticised and any comments referring to how they moderate and administer this site will ALSO NOT be tolerated. Stick to be controlled, don't step out of line, or you're BANNED.
Contrary to what anyone may think, the Troika of Al, AndyB and myself have as much interest in controlling the posts as we have in lancing our eyeballs with red hot pokers.

We will attempt to control posts that we consider that to be impolite, "trolling" or just plain slanderous.

Discuss everything else to your heart's content as to why Ian Kennedy isn't commissioned to draw more (He's old!), the evil that lurks at the heart of Viz (Billy The Fish kiss and tell story to follow!) or why arial is not the font of choice for every post on the internet.

To be honest, I am getting sick and tired of whining, petulant behaviour and what I consider to be quite frankly increasingly abusive behaviour. I do not "mod" out of some insane sense of power nor do I do it to boost my ego. I do it as I like to help people, be that to discuss comics or to do the IT geekery thing. And if people are having trouble believing that PM me with your proper address and we can discuss it in a more immediate fashion.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

You should also remember that if you log onto the site from your work, we can trace this back to your employer. They can in turn check your internet usage if so inclined.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I strongly agree with Colin's views on these matters. Part of the reason why I joined Comics UK in the first place was because it was a pleasant forum populated by well informed members, unlike some other internet forums I've read.

I admit I'm as much of a member of the new generation of comics fans as anyone on here - many of my posts are in the Beano or Dandy sections, or discuss those comics in some form. However, even I'm feeling as though the quality of the discussions on here is dropping. There are still plenty of excellent posters who provide useful facts and interesting opinions, but too many threads now seem childish in tone to me.

It's easy to blame the newer members, but this would be unfair as, to name two, Mike D and Wizzkid97 joined this great site during the year. I've found both to be valuable members and I think this forum would be worse off without them. However I feel that some people have brought an air of unpleasantness with them, which has been disappointing to me.

This post is controversial, and I accept that others may not agree with my thoughts. Having said all that, I don't think we should be too downbeat. I'm sure there'll be plenty more fascinating and enlightening discussions on here for a long time yet.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

tictak

Post by tictak »

Jonny Whizz wrote:I strongly agree with Colin's views on these matters. Part of the reason why I joined Comics UK in the first place was because it was a pleasant forum populated by well informed members, unlike some other internet forums I've read.

I admit I'm as much of a member of the new generation of comics fans as anyone on here - many of my posts are in the Beano or Dandy sections, or discuss those comics in some form. However, even I'm feeling as though the quality of the discussions on here is dropping. There are still plenty of excellent posters who provide useful facts and interesting opinions, but too many threads now seem childish in tone to me.

It's easy to blame the newer members, but this would be unfair as, to name two, Mike D and Wizzkid97 joined this great site during the year. I've found both to be valuable members and I think this forum would be worse off without them. However I feel that some people have brought an air of unpleasantness with them, which has been disappointing to me.

This post is controversial, and I accept that others may not agree with my thoughts. Having said all that, I don't think we should be too downbeat. I'm sure there'll be plenty more fascinating and enlightening discussions on here for a long time yet.
Precisely. Poor Yanobendy was criticized by them both. Neither of them seem very good people, and this is a comic forum. There should not be any arguments on here, and they're causing it. I may suggest Andy Boale to give them a swift message.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

It is a giveaway when somebody doesn't spell my surname right... you can only know that if you look up the right threads, or have got an e-mail from me. Doh.

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

AndyB wrote:It is a giveaway when somebody doesn't spell my surname right... you can only know that if you look up the right threads, or have got an e-mail from me. Doh.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

As for deleting posts...it's an art, not a science, and keeping a forum on-topic, helpful and friendly isn't a job for the feint hearted. I modded a yahoo group for nearly a year, but I gave up eventually. Too much hassle. And it's the funny the way some people think posting on a forum is a right, not a privilege...

Anyhow - back to reading and talking about comics...
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Johnny Whizz and Mike D. Thank you. I only mod as I have been here years and I love comics. My wife knows I have three loves, comics, my daughter and her. And she is happy when she makes it to the top two. :D

If people annoy you, then flag their post, we will look at it and then try to come up with a consistent way of dealing with irritations. It's not a science and none of us are robots which is why one day we will deal with it casually, but bite very hard when someone yanks our collective chains the next day. :twisted:

Today just seems to have been a mad day. So let's all take a deep deep breath, count to 1000 in a foreign language and then see if we can all make it better. Please let normal service be resumed.... :xfingers: :idea:

GO TALK COMICS! :xfingers:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

AndyB wrote:It is a giveaway when somebody doesn't spell my surname right... you can only know that if you look up the right threads, or have got an e-mail from me. Doh.
He also mis-spelt yanobandy. Deliberate, to throw you off the scent? :roll:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Let's drop it now. It's all being quite decent on here at the moment. Let's keep it that way.