General comics discussion

A place for you to offer some suggestions for this website or some constructive criticism

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Re: General comics discussion

Post by Digifiend »

^ There's no reason not to do that, unless you're on a shared computer (such as at school, work, or the library).

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Yes, that grey for the date/time was a bit hard on the eyes. I've changed it to a more readable 'bluey' colour.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Erm, which skin are we talking about here? I'm being a fuddy-duddy and using bo2soft, and I don't think the date of the post was ever light grey, nor is it now any shade of blue.

As for reading techniques, I used to be really security-conscious and insist on logging in each time, but that eventually got boring, so now I use the 'stay logged in' button. As a result, I get red stars on anything I haven't yet read. I've never really felt the need to use 'view new posts', although (as with many things) it's something I'm well aware I ought to get into the habit of doing, for my own good.

I usually click on the forums which I know typically have low traffic first, such as Suggestions. This means I almost always read General Comics last.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

The light grey related to the Hestia style.

15 people (including me) are using Hestia
793 still prefer the original bo2soft style
1 person is using the Absolution style.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Why are people still using bo2soft? It's the only skin without the Quick Reply function.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Digifiend wrote:Why are people still using bo2soft? It's the only skin without the Quick Reply function.
Well, firstly, because I think Hestia looks awful! It may just be technical problems which bo2soft doesn't suffer from, but I know which I like.

Apart from that, it's mainly muscle memory. I hate how every single phpBB skin feels the need to hide away all of the links, buttons, and general functionality in a different place every time. It's already bad enough remembering three completely different locations for everything in Comics UK and the Dandy and Beano Forums, without forcing myself to re-learn one of them. And I don't miss Quick Reply that much anyway. Perhaps that's why I don't have 4,749 posts.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I've stuck to bo2soft, because I can't be bothered changing it - I've never had any problems with the old skin so I don't feel any need to change it. I also don't really like the appearance of Hestia (as it shows when I'm reading the forum, but not logged in), as it makes the screen appear stretched.

Although the Quick Post button is useful for some people, I tend to take my time when posting so I don't think it's an option I would actually use very often.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Quick Reply is very useful if you know the codes for the smileys and formatting. I think it's handier for looking back at what you're replying to!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I don't understand any of this. I'm beginning to feel a bit insecure. I was told how to insert a quote correctly (although I seem to have forgotten) and apart from that I just type away. I'll just pull out some comics and have a read - I'm good at that.