Fanzines

A place for you to offer some suggestions for this website or some constructive criticism

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Niblet

Re: Fanzines

Post by Niblet »

This is the first copy of BEM I bought. I didn't really care what was inside - the cheeky Brian Bolland cover sold it to me.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Wasn't BEM (Bug Eyed Monster) edited by Martin Lock? He is now a seller at the comic fairs.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Yep, Martin Lock aka Emlock was the publisher. btw like you I always thought BEM was an acronym for bug-eyed monster, but apparently that's not the case...http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2007/ ... art-1.html

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Good old Martin! In the day you couldn't pick up a British fanzine that didn't feature one of his letters of comment. In fact he was so prolific that all the remaining contents were likely to be his work as well - albeit under a wide range of pseudonyms ('Ruan Lanihorne' anybody?).

Given his one-time ubiquity, and wide knowledge of the comics field, I'm surprised he hasn't taken to the internet like a duck to water.

- Phil Rushton

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

stevezodiac wrote:Wasn't BEM (Bug Eyed Monster) edited by Martin Lock? He is now a seller at the comic fairs.
I always wish these guys would put up large signs at comic fairs telling who they are so I could shake their hand for contributing to my childhood and keeping me sane! Pass it on!