Promoting new publications

A place for you to offer some suggestions for this website or some constructive criticism

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Promoting new publications

Post by colcool007 »

I am not trying to split hairs. I am genuinely trying to work through this idea. By default, everything that Commando CO (CL or SM) does, it can be considered as an advert for Commando. Just take a look at the news about the Gordon Highlanders exhibition in Aberdeen. It is a worthy thing for DCT to support, but it can be considered newsworthy and also advertising for Commando as it subtly reminds you that Commando is still being published and can still be bought.

And each publication date can be considered as releasing a new product.

As an aside, do we know if Camilla was posting during her working hours or was she just posting because she could? Because, if she was posting while on a day off, then the point that she is a paid advertiser could be considered moot.

This is all good stuff. :)
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

colcool007 wrote:By default, everything that Commando CO (CL or SM) does, it can be considered as an advert for Commando.
I disagree. As the editor of Commando, Calum Laird is paid to edit Commando. DC Thomson have other employees (I presume!) who are paid to promote their comics (none of whom, as far as I know, post here).

It depends on how broad a brush you want to use to define 'advertisers', and I think using a far narrower definition than the one you're proposing would be the best way to avoid controversy and/or false positives.

It is an unarguable fact that marketing departments exist in the world, in order to aid the selling of products they themselves played no part in the production of, and in this day and age, their remit has expanded to generating 'buzz' on relevant forums. I think this is the thing we should be clamping down on - people who alert us to products because it's their job, not just because they believe we're interested (although they do that too, otherwise they wouldn't waste their time registering here). Somebody who wants the community to give something to them, without being obliged to hang around and give something to the community.

The distinction between an author (or editor of a comic) and a marketer is that, if an author posts a thread saying, "Buy my book!", the only thing they stand to gain would be modestly increased royalties if anyone's persuaded (and an editor doesn't even get that). If a marketer posts saying, "Buy this book!", they've already been paid for it, and they don't have any personal interest in whether it succeeds or not.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

http://comicsuk.co.uk/Forum/memberlist. ... file&u=941
According to his member profile, Commando CO is long gone.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:According to his member profile, Commando CO is long gone.
Just because Calum hasn't posted since December 2009, Digi, you can't assume that he is long gone. All you can reasonably say is that he hasn't posted since December 2009. Many members take time out, some for short periods, others, like the Cap for example, for quite long holidays. It doesn't mean that they are not actively reading current posts, it may simply be that they just don't want to reply to any. In Calum's case, he may well be far too busy in his Commando role, he may consider a fair number of current topics boring, or maybe he has moved on. We can't tell whether any one, or more, of these possibilities are accurate simply from his lack of posts since December 2009.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Actually I can make a fair assumption, since it says Last visited, not Last posted.
Last visited: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:34 pm
Which means that he hasn't even logged in since then. Over two and a half years ago.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:Actually I can make a fair assumption, since it says Last visited, not Last posted.
Quote:
Last visited: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:34 pm
Which means that he hasn't even logged in since then. Over two and a half years ago.
A reasonable point, Digi. However, as we can all read the posts without logging in, I still stand by everything I said.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I can't see any problem with anyone (freelancers or publishers, or their reps) posting info about relevant items as long as it's not persistent or obscene.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/