Comic Titles & Groups

A place for you to offer some suggestions for this website or some constructive criticism

Moderators: Al, AndyB

toxteth o'grady

'Comic Titles and Groups' section

Post by toxteth o'grady »

How come I now have to log in order to see the 'Comic Titles and Groups' section?

Digifiend

Re: 'Comic Titles and Groups' section

Post by Digifiend »

The admins decided to lock unregistered users out, as announced here: http://comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5794

Yeah, it wasn't exactly obvious, and they didn't say why.

dishes

Post by dishes »

I don't think it's a good idea. It makes the board look much less impressive and inviting to a newcomer, who would have no indication that there's any more to see.

It's personally irritating to me, as up to now I only ever logged in if I wanted to post something.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

To be honest, I don't see the point of it either. Its main defect is that it makes the forum look less welcoming than it used to be for the 1000+ members we had before the change, and, as dishes says, less inviting to any newcomers. The only distinguishing feature that really matters is that if you want to post a comment you have to log in first, and that's always been the case, but if your interests are in any specific area that isn't covered by General Comics Discussion, such as The Beano, Bunty or Leo Baxendale for example, you are forced to sign in just to find out if there is anything new that you might want to respond to. I would personally like the original arrangement restored because there is a real risk that a sizeable number of members will vote with their feet, and once gone they will be difficult to attract back. There are few enough members posting as it is. I also like the idea of forums that have open access to all interested people.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Due to the actions of one individual, we are putting the permissions back as they were. Bear with us and normal service will be resumed eventually! :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

the individual......that created a storm.

[of a very different type to that sweeping the South and West as we very speak!]

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:Due to the actions of one individual, we are putting the permissions back as they were.
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:the individual......that created a storm.
That can't possibly be the reason, Rab, or the individual you are referring to. Kid Robson resigned from our forum at 12.30 am on Thursday October 17th. AndyB's action, on behalf of Admin, to remove the permissions, as Colin describes them, did not take place until 5.21 pm that same day, roughly seventeen hours later, clearly a pointless decision if it was in any way related to Kid Robson.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Thanks for clearing up those point[s] with your usual impeccable diction, my good Mr Phoenix.

Bravo!

toxteth o'grady

Comic Titles & Groups

Post by toxteth o'grady »

How come I have to log in to see the "Comic Titles & Groups" section?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: Comic Titles & Groups

Post by AndyB »

You've already asked that, and it's already been answered in this topic, toxteth. It's staying like that for the time being.

If you're using the same machine on a regular basis, all you have to do is ask it to log in automatically each session.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

AndyB wrote:It's staying like that for the time being.
That is certainly not what Colin said, Andy. He said,
colcool007 wrote:we are putting the permissions back as they were.
Even if we allow for a short delay, Colin is promising to put the permissions back, you are insisting on a status quo. Therefore, although you are correct to state that toxteth o'grady has received an answer to his question, you have just given him a contradictory one. Why can you not just do what we ask? We are not asking for the moon.
AndyB wrote:If you're using the same machine on a regular basis, all you have to do is ask it to log in automatically each session.
That is just what we don't want to do. We want to do no more and no less than we could do before somebody removed the permissions.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Colin's post was based on a misunderstanding of the position, but he did say "normal service will be resumed eventually" which does not in any way contradict "It's staying like that for the time being."

In the meantime, there is a massive incentive to log in rather than just browse the forums without doing so, because registering and logging in gets you extra forums, and logging in also tells you immediately if there are any unread topics.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

AndyB wrote:Colin's post was based on a misunderstanding of the position,
This is rather alarming because it sounds as if you and Colin are not in tune with each other, not discussing the issues. I think members have a right to know how long eventually is, how long the time being is. I assume both are the same, as you say that the one does not contradict the other, so can we all assume that they both mean within seven days from midnight tonight (October 30th)?
AndyB wrote:In the meantime, there is a massive incentive to log in rather than just browse the forums without doing so, because registering and logging in gets you extra forums
I just don't agree. The casual observer dropping in to read about The Beano, Bunty or Leo Baxendale, for example, will turn away because there is no access to those items for them. Members will be irritated. We have a phrase in English, If it isn't broken, don't fix it. The massive incentive to log in...........gets you extra forums has been imposed on us post-Robson when we had all the extra forums anyway, and we didn't need any incentive to log in unless we wanted to reply to someone's post. I thought Admin was for us, not against us, but you are making us feel like prisoners who have had their privileges withdrawn. I think this decision of yours to deprive us of the open access we have been used to could well backfire on you bigstyle.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

For the time being means for the time being, and you can assume what you like at the risk of being disappointed. Colin and Al were both quite aware of the forums which were closed to non-members.

Registered users have lost nothing. If you don't log in, you can't easily tell whether there are any posts in the topics that interest you anyway, never mind which page to start reading.

Unregistered users know there is something to miss.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

I've decided that the best way to resolve this issue is to create a poll for all members. We're currently in the process of providing the points both for and against an Open and Restricted forum.

I thank you all for your patience.

Al