Beano 70 Years of Fun special out now

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Beano 70 Years of Fun special out now

Post by Lew Stringer »

The 68 page softback Beano 70 Years of Fun has come out early. Excellent book.

My review here:

http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2008/05 ... shops.html

Lew

Peter Gray

Re: Beano 70 Years of Fun special out now

Post by Peter Gray »

aaaaaaaaagggggghhhhh! WHSmiths is closed now...(after midnight)

Looks great though.....and a Beano hard back book coming out later in the year as well.....wonder if The Dandy 70 years will get one as well..Morris H said there could be one in the pipe line......

Love seeing the original artwork......pencil work...names of writers..artists...looking at the images from Lews blog..

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Went to Woking.Guildford and Godalming WHSmiths and couldn't find it.. :x :headbash: :)

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

At last picked it up today..Wow its great...

Just love seeing the original artwork.seeing the tip-ex the pasted lettering added on top...just wonderful...great the DC Thomson is showing more and more of this...maybe a comic art of The Beano and Dandy should come out showing orignal work of the artist
Loved seeing Peter Piper from Magic.there is so much work of Dudley D Watkins to see...he drew loads..

Leo Baxendales work on Minnie and Bash Street was just amazing.......BRING BACk DETAILED WORK,,,so much to see...Tom Paterson is great at this as well he would be great on the Riot squad if new work appears one day...

Nice seeing Jim Petrie get a mention...
Also David Sutherlands first DC Thomson comic work -Danny on a dolphin...
I really hope this collectors book is successful and hope more of these can come out... 70 years of The Dandy would be nice for a start..

10 out of 10..

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Couldn't see it in my local WH Smith today (though I did notice they had Classics for the first time in months). Will try elsewhere tomorrow. It certainly looks lovely.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Kashgar I'm sure can name the other people (or some) in the photo at the back of the book..
1938 staff...

Look forward to your take on the book..

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Peter Gray wrote:Kashgar I'm sure can name the other people (or some) in the photo at the back of the book..
1938 staff...

Look forward to your take on the book..
Hi Peter - Re the picture of the original Beano staff, the four standing behind George Moonie are, from left to right chief sub Ron Fraser (later first Topper editor), subs Freddie Simpson (later chief sub on Dandy) and Ian Chisolm (later first Beezer editor) and junior sub Stan Stamper (later editor of Judy). Sadly, they are all now dead.
All in all it's lovely little book and shows the pride that Thomsons still have in their publications.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

What a great photo and they all went on to achieve more at the company...editors of there own comics...Wow...thanks Kashgar knew you might know...
Wished they put that in the book...

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Peter,

The reason they didn't name all the staff in the photo was that there is some debate in the Thomson offices over whether it is Stan Stamper on the extreme right. Some say yes and some say no but they didn't want to commit themselves which is understandable.
BTW over the years I myself corresponded with three of those pictured on various comic related subjects George Moonie, Ian Chisolm and Stan Stamper. Sadly both Ron Fraser and Freddie Simpson were both dead before I started collecting in 1974.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Image Seemed right to show the photo here with the information...
They look old in the photo But were young men...there dress sense sure aged them...

Steve Bright

Post by Steve Bright »

Cracking photo! George Moonie is instantly recognisable, even though I didn't meet him first until 39 years after that picture was taken. He looks (understandably) remarkably like I remember his son, Pete Moonie, a talented DCT staff artist who sadly died way before his time (and his father).

'Chiz' has a good deal more curly locks than when I first encountered him. It was a somewhat disturbing scene. I was brand new in my job as Beano Office Junior, an 18-year-old innocent, sitting at my desk by the door of the Beano Office, with the rest of the staff (Editor Harry Crammond, chief sub Al Bernard, subs Alan Digby and Andy Sturrock) at their desks to the right and front of me in our small but cosy office. Harry was affectionately known as The Grizzler, and never looked like a man you'd want to cross swords with. He was hard but fair, and seemingly held everyone's complete respect.

Enter Chiz! Crashing through the door that others opened quietly, puffing away on a cigarette (long, long before any ban). He leans against the large bookcase that occupies the wall to my left, removes the cigarette from his mouth, and announces, "Harold" - no-one else called him that - "I'm in need of the 1962 Beano Book."

I was sorely tempted to jump in at that point, innocent that I was, and rather smugly point out that it was right behind him, clearly visible through the glass of the bookshelf he was leaning against. Thankfully, harry himself spared me from what would have been certain folly, by jumping up out of his seat, far quicker than a man his age with dodgy knees should ever move, and racing over to the bookshelf to grab the tome and hand it to Chiz before I could say "It's behind you, Jack Robinson.".

I was stunned by this. At that point in my fledgling career, I had no idea that Harry used to be Chiz's junior on The Beano, so office history/politics never entered my head. "There you are, Chiz." said Harry. Chiz grunted his appreciation then proceeded to thumb his way through the annual, whilst still leaning against the bookcase and enjoying the remainder of his cigarette. He paused momentarily at one page, ran his finger half way down it, then slapped it shut, shattering the morgue-like peace his presence had instilled on the office.

He tossed the book onto Harry's desk, ignoring the easier route back onto the space on the bookshelf from whence it had come. "Thanks, Harold!" "Any time, Chiz!". Then he swivelled towards the door, took one last long drag, elegantly flicked his fag end just a few paces ahead of him, dead centre of the office's red lino, then ground it to dust with his foot before swanning out the door.

None of the other guys had said a word from the start of this episode until the last, and for quite some time thereafter, whereupon office business resumed and the episode was never referred to.

But it was clear to me that I had witnessed something awesome.
Wake up, smell the coffee, put on some toast...

http://www.stevebrightcartoons.co.uk

Steve Bright

Post by Steve Bright »

Oh, and I went on to work in an office opposite Stan Stamper's Judy office 18 moths later, and shared an elevator with him on numerous occasions over the following four years. I have to say, I'd have never recognised the chap in the photo as Stan. Then again - there was that 39 year gap...
Wake up, smell the coffee, put on some toast...

http://www.stevebrightcartoons.co.uk

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

ImageJust love looking at this so much...

It looks better then the printed version.which uses dots to make grey (not very well) and doesn't follow the white highlights Leo wanted...e.g on the castle there are 2 white highlights...also the cannon on the wording of Minnie is not in the centre But highlight is at the top instead...so much prefer the grey wash in the original..

Image from my website on Leo Baxendale

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I can only imagine the fun Morris Heggie will have had putting this together (presumably with Euan!)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

It seems odd , a book like this coming out at this time of year....I can only imagine they didn't want a 'clash' with the traditional releases for Christmas time.