Fred's Bed

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

ajsmith

Fred's Bed

Post by ajsmith »

I'm finding it amusing to monitor the Beano's reprints of Fred's Bed from Beezer and Topper, which I originally enjoyed (at the right age!) in the early 90s, and seeing how they've had to be slightly amended to make them up to date, for instance Fred saying how "ancient" his huge mobile phone was, or John Major being called an "ex prime minister" (surely his appreance as a Tory Boy schoolkid in this weeks Beano would mystify a good deal of kids these days?) .. I'm wondering if they've reprinted The Beatles strip yet, and if so whether they'd still make Fred's mum a fan of them first time round. I'm also interested to see if, when the original run runs out, they start comissioning new strips, like what happened with Hyde and Shreik. Can't remember the name of the Fred's Bed artist (he took over from Tom Paterson fairly early in the run, and had a similiar style) but I know he's still at large, as he did a Comic strip about Pete Doherty for MOJO earlier this year!

Lew Stringer

Re: Fred's Bed

Post by Lew Stringer »

ajsmith wrote:I'm also interested to see if, when the original run runs out, they start comissioning new strips, like what happened with Hyde and Shreik.
Well, there's already been one new Fred recently. ;-)
http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2007/12 ... ckers.html

Lew

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

It's interesting, really. The first introductory strip in the Beano was by David Parkin - I surmise that Tom Paterson did the original design work, because David is unquestionably drawing in Tom's style, and very well, but David did most of the run. At least one of Tom's has already been reprinted.

And of course there was Lew's!

I would imagine that The Riot Squad is going to run out first, as Hoot, being overpriced at 20p for 16 pages (as opposed to 16p for 20 pages), didn't have a very long run, but I believe that Ken Harrison is heading towards semi-retirement.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Ah i thought this was a brand-new strip, and was rather surprised to see him transported to a land of Mexican stereotypes in one strip who go "we got shot of our old el presedente... with these!" and point loads of guns at him.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

AndyB wrote:I would imagine that The Riot Squad is going to run out first, as Hoot, being overpriced at 20p for 16 pages (as opposed to 16p for 20 pages), didn't have a very long run, but I believe that Ken Harrison is heading towards semi-retirement.
Hoot had 53 issues before merging with Dandy. KH only does Minnie the Minx and the cover for Classics, so I think you're right about him.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

As it happens, ajsmith turned out to be correct in predicting that after the reprints ended, Fred's Bed would become new strips. He's now in the Beano most weeks drawn by Hunt Emerson (who previously drew Little Plum and Ratz), in a different artwork style. Tom Paterson has drawn a couple as well recently.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson