Why does Calamity James polarise opinion?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

NP

Re: Why does Calamity James polarise opinion?

Post by NP »

My understanding of the prototype BeanoMAX was that it was to be for the older reader and all characters might be 'updated' a little. Although BeanoMAX is intended for the slightly older reader, that has taken the form of more text features and longer stories instead.

Jay

Post by Jay »

I can't find the actual cover but I'm guessing this is the picture of Danny in question?

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Yeah, it was pretty much the same picture, except he was wearing jeans instead of shorts.

Thanks NP for the information about this one-off, the mystery has been cleared up now - so the Danny cover was probably meant to be a BeanoMAX cover.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, that shows Danny in the traditional outfit, but the one used on the Beano cover was modernised - his cap was a baseball cap, as well as the jeans instead of shorts. The trainers are in both versions, yet Danny still normally wears shoes.

The modernisation may have been abandoned because updating Dennis's equally anachronistic outfit would've caused an outcry. Even the 2009 TV series didn't give him long trousers.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Since nobody seems to have scanned a copy of the comic yet, here's mine. Sorry about the Sellotape marks (dratted free gifts) and the cropping (dratted wide paper).

I'm fascinated by Jay's picture above. Where on earth did it come from? It certainly wasn't printed anywhere! It looks as if it may have been digitally altered at some stage...?
Attachments
danny.jpg
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

The image of Danny paintballing, but with his traditional shorts and cap - as Jay put up - can be found on David Parkins' website (I just checked).

Here's the link to the page:

http://www.davidparkins.com/Danny3.72dpi.jpg
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson