Chipis by Laura H

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Chipis by Laura H

Post by Digifiend »

felneymike wrote:Pedanticity: It's Chibi's, "chibi" being Japanese for "small"
Yes, they're chibis, but The Beano calls them Chipis - a reference to computer chips I assume.
felneymike wrote:"Beano Manga" would be nice though, a while back Lew Stringer said on here that in Japan weekly comics were "phone book sized", i thought they were 40 pages or so and he was exaggerating, well i went to Japan recently and they actually are phone book sized!

Far less panels to a page though, four is about the average and 2-3 is fairly common. Also the art is black and white and often rather simplistic (face close-ups with no backgrounds, etc), though when it's detailed it's very detailed!
Don't forget these are single page strips, not 200 page stories (which wouldn't even fit in the annuals).

LauraH

Post by LauraH »

>twitches at the idea of drawing 200-page stories<

Actually, the name comes from the fact that they're "chips off the old block", i.e. nearly but not quite just like their "normal" counterparts. Not that you could easily infer this without being told ;) But, I like the word, it's cute.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Ah right, i just assumed it was a mis-type on the forum that had proliferated (seen it happen on other forums, though usually with less intelligent users, namely GTA-related forums). I haven't actually looked at the comic :oops:

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I really liked this week's Chipis/Beano Manga. Good to see The Three Bears back again (or at least one of them!) and I liked the story. I think Laura's onto a real winner here.

Laura mentioned about some older characters returning, so is there any chance of Calamity James appearing any time soon?
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Don't know about Beano Manga, but he's in the annual.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Yes, I know he's in this year's annual, it was mentioned in the recent Calamity James and annual threads I think. It will be interesting to see which characters appear in Beano Manga over the next few weeks, especially as there's the potential for the 'chipis' of just about any Beano character to appear.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson