Beano monitoring

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Beano monitoring

Post by Digifiend »

Jonny Whizz wrote:I agree entirely. Also, the cover is actually related to the story inside.
Let's hope it stays that way! :D

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

http://www.beanotown.com/index.php?id=100

How they came up with this week's Numskulls and Roger.

BeanoFan No.1 should really join this forum! What a long post!

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I remember the pedometer story being mentioned on this very forum, and at the time I suggested it could be used as a Beano story!

Beano Fan No 1 isn't me by the way if anyone was wondering, but with knowledge like that I think they'd be welcome on Comics UK. Also, it's interesting to notice how aware of reprints some of the people who post comments on the Beano website are.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yes, I'm the one who posted it! http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=2878
Jonny Whizz wrote:I think this is one that should be taken up by the Beano scriptwriters. As was pointed out in The History of the Beano, latest news stories or cults are often swiftly turned into stories used in the comic.
Looks like someone in the Beano office read your comment! :lol:

ComicCrazy

Post by ComicCrazy »

This weeks Beano was good. I hope the good old Dennis will return. I just find the the new stories boring... The highlight at the moment is Beano Manga. I hope Laura continues to do it!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I dislike saying too much about the next week's Beano before those of you who don't have subscriptions see it, but I think you will love pages 16 and 17, and some of you will hate page 24. :wink: :lol:

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Could we have a little clue, please? You don't have to give the game away, just a tiny hint or something... (I'm a non-subscriber, by the way).

Mind you, aren't pages 16 and 17 usually taken up by the Bash Street Kids, given that they're the centre pages of the comic? The kids have been on them since 1962!
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Yes, this week's Kids is a special treat.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Hate page 24? Calamity James is back (even if it's just in Beano Manga)? Some people love him, some hate him.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

The Beano is out already..got it today..
nice seeing Spoiler ahead.................

David Sutherland...and the celebration of the 2000th Bash Street comic story he has drawn...Jim Petrie achieved this as well...But he got this in 2001....so 8 years extra is a bit strange to me...did Gordon Bell really draw that many...it doesn't add up.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Gordon Bell isn't the only ghost artist to have drawn Bash Street though. Nigel Parkinson has, and some strips in the early 90s (I think, I saw them in a couple of the annuals) were by another different artist.

Spoilered as I was replying to a spoiler, I'll edit it to black after you've had chance to read it. EDIT: Unspoiler tagged because a later post revealed what I was replying to anyway.

EDIT: If you don't want to be spoilered, avoid the Beano preview, it shows a panel from it.

But do read this, no spoilers, but it does mention that milestone, which DS and Jim Petrie met up to celebrate. As DS is continuing, he will take the Beano's "longest running episodes of a strip drawn by one artist" record next week, since Jim stopped Minnie on exactly 2000. http://www.beanotown.com/index.php?id=111
Last edited by Digifiend on 14 Oct 2009, 15:09, edited 2 times in total.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

John Sherwood drew a pile - presumably referred to by Digifiend. Also, I clearly recall what even then were obviously reprints being used by Harry Cramond during late 1970s and early 1980s summers. I'm pretty sure that Keith Reynolds also did a few weekly strips as well as the lion's share of Comic Libraries. Ray?

The reason for this I suspect is Dave's availability - his standard roster was Dennis, Biffo and the kids (plus Gnasher, Rasher, etc) until Euan finally axed Biffo. He and Harry both probably felt that Dave should be asked to prioritise Dennis as the cover star, and if he had to be taken off the Kids to achieve 52 weeks of Dennis a year, covering his own holidays, so be it.

On the story itself, I thought it was better than Jim Petrie's farewell. Knowing that while the Chief Sub himself doesn't read the forum, but other Beano staff do - well written!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Not quite, Jimmy Glen took over Biffo eventually before it finished.

The strips "What a CARry On!" and "You're Too Kind!" from the 1999 annual are two of the examples I referred to of non-DS Bash Street strips, and "Waterway Madness" and "Hot Air Buffoons" in the 2004 book are two more.

patpending

Post by patpending »

In BEANO 3505, there is a lovely story.

The Bash Street Kids are visited by a normal-looking, grey-haired man introduced by Teacher as David Sutherland, an "artist". When the Kids say "you can't be an artist! - you don't look like an artist!" he duly dons beret and smock. He is wise to their jape of putting open paint tubes on his stool and, when they attack him with soakers, paint, catapult and peashooter (and a pie!) he has an umbrella at the ready.

As a long-standing reader, I didn't even have to see the prominent signature "David Sutherland" to know he was a Beano artist, though I'm not good enough at Beanology to have recognised the name.

It reminded me of when the Minnie the Minx artist with the slightly "frazzled" style - think he was Scottish and used to do the Sparky People - hung up his pen and featured in her strip. (Jim Petrie in 2001, I think - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... years.html )

In the past, there was generally the idea of "the Beano artist" who drew everything! (Reader's voice) "yes! in his smock and beret and with his palette he used to appear in Minnie the Minx!"

In the bottom right-hand corner, Wilfred holds up the card "DS 2000" from which even I would guess this is a reprint. (Don't you have to be called Kevin to draw the Kids nowadays?)

It's a lovely strip - that card is sploshed by red paint from the frame above in which 'Erbert has failed to spot which way he should be aiming his tube! ;)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:evil: It's not a reprint. But DS has somehow missed 400 issues over the years, as he should indeed have reached 2000 at the same time as Jim. And I wasn't going to reveal the guest appearance spoiler until tomorrow, you've just revealed AndyB's spoiler.