This week's issue

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Classic Comics

Re: This week's issue

Post by Classic Comics »

big bad bri wrote:i also loved the 50s retro stories of minnie and the 3 bears i would like to see 2 pages like this every week as i & im sure the majority never seen these 1st time round or even in classics from the comics.they should scrap the recent reprints like robbie rebel and calamity james as they are too recent & use the 50s & 60s stories.I would also love the dandy to do this.
We'll be running the Beano Retro pages as a weekly item for a while and we'll see what kind of reaction they get. But for now, they're a regular thing.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:they should scrap the recent reprints like robbie rebel and calamity james as they are too recent & use the 50s & 60s stories.I would also love the dandy to do this.
I wouldn't. The Dandy uses all new material Bri, so replacing pages with reprint would mean less work for artists.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Lew Stringer wrote:
big bad bri wrote:they should scrap the recent reprints like robbie rebel and calamity james as they are too recent & use the 50s & 60s stories.I would also love the dandy to do this.
I wouldn't. The Dandy uses all new material Bri, so replacing pages with reprint would mean less work for artists.
lew i know dandy is all new i meant i
would like the dandy to give 2 pages over to classic 50s & 60s stories as well as the beano and who knows if they prove popular maybe they could update them as with thingummyblob! next week but i do see your point about less work for artists and god knows there isnt enough now due to the lack of weekly comics on the shelves.
Now that classics has finished maybe they could do a beano classics and dandy classics every month or alternate them on seperate months.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That isn't going to happen. They didn't close down Classics only to launch two replacements a few months down the line. :(

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Classic Comics wrote:
big bad bri wrote:i also loved the 50s retro stories of minnie and the 3 bears i would like to see 2 pages like this every week as i & im sure the majority never seen these 1st time round or even in classics from the comics.they should scrap the recent reprints like robbie rebel and calamity james as they are too recent & use the 50s & 60s stories.I would also love the dandy to do this.
We'll be running the Beano Retro pages as a weekly item for a while and we'll see what kind of reaction they get. But for now, they're a regular thing.
Glad to hear that. And if a character proves popular on the retro pages, you could then revive them as a new strip. I think a few people on the website would like it if that happened to Biffo! :wink:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I could be mistaken but I'm sure The Three Bears reprint is an early Bob McGrath page, not Leo Baxendale as credited.

BeanoMark

Post by BeanoMark »

Digifiend wrote:I think a few people on the website would like it if that happened to Biffo! :wink:
How would you see Biffo coming back? Something like the original or something completely different?

Personally, Biffo used to give me the creeps, but if he was to be redone/restyled/relaunched I think I'd kinda like that. Have I not already seen someone do attempts of this already?
Beano HQ

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

MMi wrote:
Digifiend wrote:I think a few people on the website would like it if that happened to Biffo! :wink:
How would you see Biffo coming back? Something like the original or something completely different?

Personally, Biffo used to give me the creeps, but if he was to be redone/restyled/relaunched I think I'd kinda like that. Have I not already seen someone do attempts of this already?

He'd need a completely new makeover I think. Much as I loved the work of Dudley Watkins who did some brilliant Biffo pages, Biffo as a character was always a bit "meh". His design was obviously a Mickey Mouse imitation and those human hands and feet were a bit creepy.

As for Biffo's Dandy equivalent, I thought Korky the Cat was a fantastic character. Cheekier and not such a goody-goody as Biffo. Korky was quite an anti-hero sometimes with a more varied personality.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Biffo was successfully relaunched at the hands of Sid Burgon 20-odd years ago ;) Completely different from the Watkins-Sutherland version, but Sid's retired now I assume.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

It was in 1989. And yes, he's now retired.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Really enjoying the Retro Beano..really hope this spins-off into its own comic..
Loved The Bash street kids and Pup Parade..

Liked seeing the Beano logo as a Bat logo.. 8)
Still need to read it all..nice Ivy logo..Alice in Wonderland white rabbit Ivy.. :D

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Peter Gray wrote:Really enjoying the Retro Beano..really hope this spins-off into its own comic..
Loved The Bash street kids and Pup Parade..

Liked seeing the Beano logo as a Bat logo.. 8)
Still need to read it all..nice Ivy logo..Alice in Wonderland white rabbit Ivy.. :D
i agree on all of these points i would love to see Retro Beano classics but know it will never happen.also like the differnt ivy logos every week and loved the beano bat logo

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Sadly, I doubt we'll be seeing such drastically modified logos very often... they only got away with it this time because the issue was bagged.

Something to note: the Dandy advert, being a full Desperate Dan strip, is technically Jamie Smart's Beano debut.

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

Digifiend wrote:Sadly, I doubt we'll be seeing such drastically modified logos very often... they only got away with it this time because the issue was bagged.
We're giving a lot of thought to the look of the covers to make them striking and memorable - but you're right, we won't be changing the logo often. If we changed it regularly it would lose the impact when we do something unusual or radical with it.

Personally I'm really pleased with that cover. I think our designer did a cracking job and it hangs together very well. Extra jelly babies for him this week!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Loved the Bash Street and Fred's Bed meet up....love these type of long stories blending into one.. 8)