Beano summer special number 1 out now WHSmiths

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: Beano summer special number 1 out now WHSmiths

Post by Lew Stringer »

chrisb wrote: On asking if they could order it in for me, I was told they could'nt do that.
Sounds like the same situation that Egmont had when they gave WH Smith an exclusive on their specials. Just crazy. :(

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

We're not in for a Phoenix-style Waitrose dash, are we? As I recall I had more success in Croydon WHSmith than I did in Wimbledon when looking for both of last year's Beano summer publications but it sounds as it things have got worse since then.

(For the record, no, Wimbledon didn't have it. I wonder why I still bother to check that store...)
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I'll check WH Smith at Lewisham, Catford and Surrey Quays tomorrow.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

If it helps I got mine in Kingston

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote:If it helps I got mine in Kingston
And it's on sale in Coventry if anyone is sent there. :wink:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Last year's summer special didn't reach my local branches until a couple of weeks after others on here already had their copy. Might materialise in the next couple of weeks...

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I'll only be able to get a copy if they offer it online or they do it in the airport stores - NI's sole High Street branch was sold to Easons last November, and is closed for refurbishment as an Easons store for another couple of weeks.

On the other hand, if anyone would like to get me a copy and I'll pay them back via Paypal, drop me a PM!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I'm going to check Hull Kingswood today, and the two Hull City Centre high street branches on Wednesday. As soon as I see it, I'll be buying my copy.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

I got one from WHSMITH in Bolton and its not too shabby apart from a few date errors namely the Lord Snooty strip from 1938 on page 17 and the Dennis strip on page 61 from 1951?

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Digifiend wrote:I'm going to check Hull Kingswood today, and the two Hull City Centre high street branches on Wednesday. As soon as I see it, I'll be buying my copy.
Got mine from the one in Prospect Centre...they had loads of 'em. :D
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Forgot to add a Roger The Dodger strip that's from 1953 on page 60. On eBay theres a number 2 ultimate beano summer special priced at a whopping £9.95! If you are a bit gullible and having trouble getting hold of one you know where to go :wink:

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

That's the years they came out..1938 and 1953

Also Numbskulls said it was from the Beano summer special But its the Beezer summer special..the first one in the issue..page 8!

Maybe they need us to proof read it for them..what a nice job..

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

I understand that's the year the character first appeared but a few words underneath saying so wouldn't go a miss as it may cause some confusion to people that aren't that well up on the comics history. I'd gladly proof read the content of upcoming special editions of the Dandy and Beano I'd even live in the DCT archive but trying to convince the other half into moving north of the border is another thing altogether! :lol:

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

:lol:

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Peter Gray wrote:If it helps I got mine in Kingston
Armed with this post, today I went to Kingston. I found the huge two-storey WHSmith, with books and magazines and comics ranged on all sides. I searched among the comics, I searched among the magazines, I searched among the picture books, I searched among the "Favourite Characters", I searched among the furthest-flung corner of the magazine shelf where Clints and 2000ADs and Marvel publications were in stock, I searched among the children's literature, I searched among the comics again, and finally I searched at the information desk, where the assistant informed me that she was unable to locate No. 2 on her database (but did helpfully inform me that, according to the same database, No. 1 was still out if I wanted that instead).

I've had this problem before - the specials are nigh uncategorisable, which means they're filed under a different section for every branch you go into (that's if they're there at all). I see from last year's posts I didn't manage to find No. 1 until the end of May, and even then I had to go to Croydon, so I think I'll give up for the time being. (That is, unless Peter can remember where he got his from?)
dandy mad wrote:On eBay theres a number 2 ultimate beano summer special priced at a whopping £9.95!
Wonder if it's the same person as last time? :roll:
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!