This week's issue Take 2

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by Peter Gray »

Was fun surprise Meebo and Zuky

I also saw Angel Face (The Dandy by Ken Reid!!)...who else did you see folks..

Also liked Fred's Bed.would be cool if Fred isn't different next week...the editor getting it wrong.. :lol: just for one more time..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Fred's Bed can probably be treated like a Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode. The events of them never stick.

LauraH

Post by LauraH »

Rats, I didn't realise Angel Face was a Dandy character! I'm actually quite annoyed about that. Glad people liked it, anyway;)

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

You had other Dandy characters there as well..like Corporal Clott..
Can't remember the Scotish kilted character name off hand

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Keyhole Kate is a former Dandy Character as well.

Anyway is was a brilliant Halloween Beano this week but does anyone else find it ironic that Freddie Fear which is a strip involving a witch and a haunted house is the strip that makes way for an advert in the Halloween issue. :lol:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Peter Gray wrote:You had other Dandy characters there as well..like Corporal Clott..
Can't remember the Scotish kilted character name off hand
Wee Ben Nevis?

LauraH

Post by LauraH »

Wrong I'm afraid! It's Plum MacDuff, the Highlandman who never gets enough (brains, in this case).

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I loved meebo & zuky this week seeing zombie versions of jonah,Biffo,lord snooty,grandpa,tom dick & sally,keyhole kate,corperal clott,big eggo & pansy potter but i am annoyed it was £2.50 this week & it wasn't even half term, as i had to sacrifice dandy this week asi only kept £3 aside,i wish they would advertise next weeks price like the dandy does.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Agreed. Also, usually, if the Beano is an extra quid, so is The Dandy, so we get backdoor warning that way. Not the case this time, which can and has caught people out. If the price isn't the standard £1.50, they should always advertise it. No excuses.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I think The Beano and Dandy should have the price rise..maybe £2..then not change prices when the is a gift..s..
Maybe the Dandy could have an extra four pages as well..
That could be an answer..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I'm surprised they didn't use the permanent increase of 4 pages to justify a price rise for The Beano actually. The switch to full colour in 1993 and the increase from 24 pages to 32 in 1998 both came with price rises.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I was bracing myself for a price rise when it was announced there was a page increase, particularly because the price often goes up around October in any case.

I thought this week's issue was excellent. I loved Laura's Meebo and Zuky strip, especially the classic character cameos. The Jonah zombie in particular made me laugh because he looked so gormless! Ball Boy and Fred's Bed also had good Halloweeny themed stories, and I liked the way Number 13 was included in the Dennis story. It was nice to see Dasher return as well, though in my opinion his return wasn't conducted as well as that of Foo-Foo or Rasher.

The choice of Rocky's Horror Show as the Dandy preview strip was brilliant, and having never seen the strip before, I was impressed by it.

I was personally surprised to see Ivy appear in the Roger the Dodger story. I enjoyed the strip (which I felt was all the better for not being retconned in any noticeable way). It was in some ways a shame that a Halloween strip wasn't used, but Roger never tended to have many spooky stories anyway - in most of the Halloween issues when I was little, the scripts weren't really spooky-themed at all.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

[quote="Jonny Whizz"]Roger never tended to have many spooky stories anyway - in most of the Halloween issues when I was little, the scripts weren't really spooky-themed at all.[/quot :x :x :x

There was a Halloween themed Roger strip in the 1999 Halloween Beano but in order for that to be used Rogers Dodge Diary would have had to giveway due to it being two full pages.

To be honest before 1999 I don't remember The Beano even celebrating Halloween.

Sorry about the quote everyone I've tried fixing it but I don't know how.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Gilly wrote:Sorry about the quote everyone I've tried fixing it but I don't know how.
Type "e]" (without double quotation marks) at the end of the line, like so:

Code: Select all

[quote="Jonny Whizz"]Roger never tended to have many spooky stories anyway - in most of the Halloween issues when I was little, the scripts weren't really spooky-themed at all.[/quote]
Which, when not in the code tags used above, automatically turns into:
Jonny Whizz wrote:Roger never tended to have many spooky stories anyway - in most of the Halloween issues when I was little, the scripts weren't really spooky-themed at all.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you don't know how to do something, find a post where somebody did it, and click the Quote button to expose how it was done.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Looks like Super School has made it's long awaited return. Has it replaced the Freddie Fear reprints?

If so I'm not too bothered because I would rather have more new material in The Beano.