This week's issue Take 2

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Tin Can Tommy

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Why dont they do what the Dandy does and vary the lead strip?

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Personally, I found the August 2009-February 2011 very dull for the most part. This was due to a combination of factors, which would have been a shame on their own but worse for being simultaneous - the change in his character from menace to fun-loving, broadly well-intentioned schoolboy, the faded backgrounds of the strip and the loss of classic characters such as Rasher. Therefore I find the current version to be a major improvement, and also Barrie Appleby's style suits the current Dennis to a tee.

I still think Dennis is the best character for the cover of the Beano, as he's a comic icon and he has plenty of potential for good cover gags (more so than, say, Ball Boy or Billy Whizz, for example). I'm not really a fan of having characters rotate on the cover, I personally prefer allowing a cover story to establish itself as it makes the comic more recognisable. However, I am slightly concerned about his exclusion from the poll on the website last year - were D.C.T. too fearful to put their TV star in the poll in case he performed poorly? Having said that, I suspect this was to help other less celebrated strips, as readers who would otherwise vote for Dennis could make the difference between a strip staying in the comic or being dropped.

I definitely agree with Digi about Minnie - I thought she was weak towards the end of the Tom Paterson era, when she seemed to become too soft, but since Ken took over we've had four years of excellent strips.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

I personally couldn't imagine anyone else on the cover of The Beano other than Dennis as he is always the first character that springs to mind when anyone thinks of the comic.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

I don't think Dennis will ever be taken off the cover, simply because it would be commercial suicide if they did. The Beano's basically trading solely on its pre-existing status as a national institution right now, and it's becoming more and more dependent on its history - hence the recent cover redesign, and the launch of its 'retro' merchandise range.
Digifiend wrote:And Swirly, yes he has drawn the pups before - inn the Beano Annual 2012! Forgot already?
Yes, completely! I didn't think much of either 2012 annual - both suffered from the time-lag which afflicts all annuals, but it was particularly noticeable in a year when both comics had made such massive improvements since the period the annuals reflected. I'm hoping for better from 2013.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Jonny Whizz wrote: the loss of classic characters such as Rasher.
Rasher and the other softies, the only classic characters that were really dropped, hardly ever appeared in Dennis strips before the revamp anyway. But characters come and go from any long running strip other Dennis examples being Nervous Rex, Nasty Normand, Stanley Livingstone the explorer and Dennis' Teacher. At least my examples were directly replaced with Harley (who later appeared alongside Rasher when they reintroduced him) and the other softies being replaced by slightly different ones.
The only real loss of a major character was Foo-Foo and she only disappeared to try and make Walter less effeminate and this loss was really because of Political Correctness.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Gilly wrote:I personally couldn't imagine anyone else on the cover of The Beano other than Dennis as he is always the first character that springs to mind when anyone thinks of the comic.
Not in my house he isn't, Gilly. I always think of Lord Snooty and Big Eggo.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Eggo really isn't that iconic. He was dropped from the cover in 1948, and a year later when his artist Reg Carter died, he was dropped completely. Most people who think of someone other than Dennis on the cover would remember Biffo instead.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:Eggo really isn't that iconic. He was dropped from the cover in 1948, and a year later when his artist Reg Carter died, he was dropped completely. Most people who think of someone other than Dennis on the cover would remember Biffo instead.
Gilly was making two points, Digi. The first was that he couldn't imagine anyone other than Dennis on the cover of The Beano. Far be it from me to cast doubt on Gilly's imaginings. The second point he makes though is that Dennis is the first character that springs to mind whenever anyone thinks of the comic. You used the expression most people, which allows for some dissenting voices. I wanted to dissent but Gilly's anyone did not allow me to. I stand by my point that when I think of The Beano I think of Lord Snooty and Big Eggo. They were my favourites, whether they were iconic in other peoples' eyes or not. To me Biffo is just another character, as is Dennis, no more no less.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

The pups strip is brand new. I agree it's definitely one of the best 44-page issues we've seen, because there was so much comic strip, reprint or not.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Phoenix wrote:
Digifiend wrote:Eggo really isn't that iconic. He was dropped from the cover in 1948, and a year later when his artist Reg Carter died, he was dropped completely. Most people who think of someone other than Dennis on the cover would remember Biffo instead.
Gilly was making two points, Digi. The first was that he couldn't imagine anyone other than Dennis on the cover of The Beano. Far be it from me to cast doubt on Gilly's imaginings. The second point he makes though is that Dennis is the first character that springs to mind whenever anyone thinks of the comic. You used the expression most people, which allows for some dissenting voices. I wanted to dissent but Gilly's anyone did not allow me to. I stand by my point that when I think of The Beano I think of Lord Snooty and Big Eggo. They were my favourites, whether they were iconic in other peoples' eyes or not. To me Biffo is just another character, as is Dennis, no more no less.
Ok I stand corrected to a degree but my point still remains valid, Dennis the Menace is the most famous character in The Beano and I bet 90% of people who read it would think of him first when The Beano springs to mind. The characters who come close that are currently in the comic though would probably be The Bash Street Kids and Minnie the Minx but I personally couldn't imagine either of those on the cover with Dennis around.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Digifiend wrote:Anyone got a NP-signal? You know, like Batman's? ;)
Will this do? ;)
NP Batman Spoof.jpg
--

Phoenix, you may find that these characters are more iconic in your mind but to a large majority of others, the first character you would name who is associated to The Beano would usually be Dennis the Menace (or whatever you wish to call him).

I find I'm the same though with the majority. Despite being no fan of Dennis - (I actually find him rather dull) - he has done a lot for The Beano and because of his widespread fame stretching all the way up to two BBC TV shows, Dennis has become a juggernaut in the world of British comics.
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

lol, nice one Harry, you got my joke then. I thought Nigel could answer it himself, hence the joke, but I see Andy has confirmed it as new anyway.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

WizzKid97 wrote:Phoenix, you may find that these characters are more iconic in your mind
We really must keep things in proportion, WizzKid. All I said was that when I think of The Beano, which isn't all that often, to be fair, I think of Lord Snooty and Big Eggo. I suppose I could have added Pansy Potter and Jimmy and his Magic Patch because I enjoyed their adventures too, but I didn't because they are not the characters I think of first when I think of The Beano. In any case, I actually preferred The Dandy, as I'm sure I've admitted at some point in the past on some thread or other, due mainly to the antics of Korky the Cat, Keyhole Kate, Old Ma Murphy, Desperate Dan, Hungry Horace and Freddy the Fearless Fly. Oh, and Black Bob, mustn't forget him. This imbalance probably explains why I own twice as many issues of The Dandy from my childhood (2) than I do of The Beano from the same period (1). For me, The History Of The Beano is a fantastic nostalgia-satisfying resource, which saves me from paying out the huge sums currently being asked for late forties and early fifties issues of The Dandy and The Beano. I am looking forward enormously to the publication later this year of the history of The Dandy so that I can satisfy those nostalgia needs as well.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

WizzKid97 wrote:Phoenix, you may find that these characters are more iconic in your mind
I suppose we all got a favourite character that springs to mind, Calamity James used to be a favourite of mine when he was in the comic for instance.

I was just speaking in general and to be fair when I was a kid no one beat Dennis the Menace. :lol:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Gilly wrote:
I suppose we all got a favourite character that springs to mind, Calamity James used to be a favourite of mine when he was in the comic for instance.

I was just speaking in general and to be fair when I was a kid no one beat Dennis the Menace. :lol:
When I was a kid his dad beat him regularly.