This week's issue Take 2

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Locked
User avatar
Gilly
Posts: 404
Joined: 06 Oct 2011, 12:16

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by Gilly »

I asked for that :D

User avatar
swirlythingy
Posts: 563
Joined: 17 Mar 2011, 00:16
Location: Wimbledon, UK

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by swirlythingy »

stevezodiac wrote:
Gilly wrote:I was just speaking in general and to be fair when I was a kid no one beat Dennis the Menace. :lol:
When I was a kid his dad beat him regularly.
Now, now, you know as well as I do that it's a perfectly legitimate form of discipline and not child abuse at all!
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

User avatar
Digifiend
Posts: 7280
Joined: 15 Aug 2007, 11:43
Location: Hull, UK

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by Digifiend »

http://www.beano.com/beano-comic/issue-3631
Back to £1.50 this week, and they're advertising the fact Pup Parade is no longer reprints. Also, the Bash Street competition uniform design has been revealed.

User avatar
Tin Can Tommy
Posts: 511
Joined: 20 Aug 2011, 10:05

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

In issue 3631 Dennis uses the most odd phrase. The phrase in question is "How boggin'". I don't think such a phrase actually exists and this seems to be one of those examples when the Beano tries to be down with da kidz but fails to do so in a way which would be humourous if it didnt happen so often so comes across as just pathetic. Im sure most readers however would just ignore it.

User avatar
Gilly
Posts: 404
Joined: 06 Oct 2011, 12:16

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by Gilly »

I hate it when The Beano tries to be cool, it's something it is totally useless at so why dosen't it just stick to being funny.

Good news that Pup Parade is sticking to new strips from now on but a quick question about that. Is Pup Parade the mystery old strip that is returning all new or are we about to see the return of another old favourite?

Raven
Posts: 2829
Joined: 16 Aug 2007, 22:58
Location: Highboro'

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by Raven »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:In issue 3631 Dennis uses the most odd phrase. The phrase in question is "How boggin'". I don't think such a phrase actually exists ...

From urbandictionary.com:

"boggin':
bad tasting, disgusting

Scottish slang to describe something dirty or disgusting.
prounced "baw-gin" or "boah-gin"
"The smell comin' out the Ladies toilets in The Solid Rock Café is absolutly boggin', I nearly boaked ma dinner."

a word meaning RANK/mingin' also it sounds funny.
THAT TASTES BOGGIN'"


So did Dennis use it in the correct context?

User avatar
Digifiend
Posts: 7280
Joined: 15 Aug 2007, 11:43
Location: Hull, UK

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by Digifiend »

Last week's Beano has a printing error on the cover, and unfortunately it resulted in both WHSmith and Tesco failing to put the new issue on the shelves today. The error? The recall date says April 12 instead of 11. But beano.com clearly says the new issue was due out today, not tomorrow. :x

User avatar
Tin Can Tommy
Posts: 511
Joined: 20 Aug 2011, 10:05

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Raven wrote:So did Dennis use it in the correct context?
He used it to describe the prospect of a history lesson. So it doesnt appear to be the right context.

If it is scottish slang then that would be the reason I didnt pick up on it. But so would most readers as english readers probably outnumber scottish readers by a considerable margin.

User avatar
Digifiend
Posts: 7280
Joined: 15 Aug 2007, 11:43
Location: Hull, UK

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by Digifiend »

This kind of thing is the main reason I don't collect Broons and Oor Wullie. Nothing wrong with the art, but I'm not a fan of the use of phrases (commonly seen in those strips) which you have to know a certain regional dialect to understand.

Dennis should've simply said it was boring.

Classic Comics
Posts: 121
Joined: 27 Apr 2006, 15:24
Location: Beano Office

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by Classic Comics »

Digifiend wrote:Last week's Beano has a printing error on the cover, and unfortunately it resulted in both WHSmith and Tesco failing to put the new issue on the shelves today. The error? The recall date says April 12 instead of 11. But beano.com clearly says the new issue was due out today, not tomorrow. :x
You're wrong. It wasn't an error. Bank holidays - particularly double bank holidays such as Good Friday and Easter Monday - result in distribution delays in many areas. So, around bank holidays, some issues are on sale for 8 days, others for only 6. The preview is on site as usual because the comic is in the shops on its normal day in several parts of the country, though not in others.
Bogging is used in Scotland, in Ireland and I've heard it used in parts of England as far apart as Newcastle, Lancashire and Berkshire. I felt that was a broad enough spread to merit its use.

AndyB
Throgmorton
Posts: 2291
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 20:00
Contact:

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by AndyB »

Worse than that, they can check Ulster Scots by shouting across the office to one of my compatriots...

The word "boggin'" should be self-explanatory. The slang "bog" for toilet is pretty well known, after all.

User avatar
Tin Can Tommy
Posts: 511
Joined: 20 Aug 2011, 10:05

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Boggin does sound quite awkward in southern english accents. It's meaning is obvious as Bog off and Bog are a commonly used and understood phrase and word respectively. At least it's better than the time the Beano used to use phrases like 'epic fail'.

User avatar
Digifiend
Posts: 7280
Joined: 15 Aug 2007, 11:43
Location: Hull, UK

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by Digifiend »

Classic Comics wrote:
Digifiend wrote:Last week's Beano has a printing error on the cover, and unfortunately it resulted in both WHSmith and Tesco failing to put the new issue on the shelves today. The error? The recall date says April 12 instead of 11. But beano.com clearly says the new issue was due out today, not tomorrow. :x
You're wrong. It wasn't an error. Bank holidays - particularly double bank holidays such as Good Friday and Easter Monday - result in distribution delays in many areas. So, around bank holidays, some issues are on sale for 8 days, others for only 6. The preview is on site as usual because the comic is in the shops on its normal day in several parts of the country, though not in others.
There's still a mistake. The Beano website and Facebook page both said it was due out on the 11th, not the 12th. The cover of the new issue also says, as usual, "Every Wednesday is BEANODAY" - that probably shouldn't be there if the issue comes out on a different day. If the recall date was correct, you need to have a word with the web team.

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:
Classic Comics wrote:The preview is on site as usual because the comic is in the shops on its normal day in several parts of the country, though not in others.
There's still a mistake. The Beano website and Facebook page both said it was due out on the 11th, not the 12th. The cover of the new issue also says, as usual, "Every Wednesday is BEANODAY" - that probably shouldn't be there if the issue comes out on a different day. If the recall date was correct, you need to have a word with the web team.
Digi, read what you're replying to. As CC explained, it's not a mistake because in some areas of the country The Beano is on sale today.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

McSCOTTYS GHOST
Posts: 82
Joined: 20 Nov 2011, 22:02

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by McSCOTTYS GHOST »

WOW I'm really surprised "boggin'" isn't knows in the South of England, even if its not a general term it is pretty self explanatory and a kid could suss it out no problem - anyway we keep hearing a word we in Scotland have never heard of and just accept it (what's "vegetable" ?? - oh yeah nothing like keeping a stereotype's going :D )

Locked