This week's issue Take 2

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

-MikeD-

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by -MikeD- »

AndyB wrote:The Where's Dennis feature is Evi De Bono's work, apart from the pasted Dennis. I haven't anything new from Evi in years, so I don't know how old they are.
Found the Where's Dennis originals...they're in a book called Where's Dennis from '99. The actual pages are twice the size of the reprints, double page spreads, and full of great humour and detail. Lovely work from Evi - no photoshop copy and pastes here! I've borrowed a copy from a friend...
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Excellent work! Newer than I was expecting, too - from what I could see of the Dennis body beneath the pasted face, the proportions seemed to be more in keeping with 80s Dennis, but then I couldn't see very much.

Interesting blue trainers on the cover, there - he was definitely wearing boots when I started reading in late 2003 (in fact, that was a plot point in one of my first issues), so when did those change? (I can understand the decision, since here they're almost more prominent than the jersey!)

So, was my suspicion that the reprints have been cropped correct?
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Mid 1990s - that book cover was already out of date when it came out.

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

swirlythingy wrote:So, was my suspicion that the reprints have been cropped correct?
Yup - the pages are twice as big as the reprints. It's definitely worth finding a copy.
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Jay

Post by Jay »

Is there going to be more Adventures of Wenlock and Mandeville ad-strips? They're two of the most bizarre mascots I've ever seen. Whatever happened to sweaty blokes in big fluffy animal costumes?

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I hope they don't stay around for too long. I think they rank amongst the worst mascots ever created! What are they actually meant to be?

I agree with Jay - bring back World Cup Willie I say.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Unfortunately they'll be around until next summer. The choices have been made (at least a year ago), and there's not a lot we can do... much like the logo.

Wikipedia says it'll be in the Beano every week until the Olympics start. In fairness, though, it's worth noting that the Paralympic mascot gets the Olympic mascot sorted out in the first strip!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Wikipedia is guessing. Beano.com only says that it starts this week and you can follow their adventures in future issues. Doesn't say for how long. Artist Nigel Parkinson hasn't mentioned how long it'll run for either.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

AndyB wrote:Wikipedia says it'll be in the Beano every week until the Olympics start.
Erm, I wouldn't set much store by that if I were you!

Sadly, the Beano can hardly refuse to run an advert for being too annoying, so for as long as LOCOG cough up, we'll have that outdated, impractical, epileptic fit-inducing, just plain godawful diarrhoea skidmark of a brand strategy splattered across the pages of The UK's Number 1 Comic(tm).
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

You know something? The only reason it's not also in the Dandy is probably it's low sales, so LOCOG didn't want to pay for that too. Every cloud has a silver lining, I suppose.

Anyway, I put a "citation needed" tag on the Wenlock and Mandeville Wikipedia page.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Nice front cover this week reminds me of older Dennis 'episodes' were they let him play with fireworks they cant do that now and rightly so but he can make explosives with chemicals because that's educational. But the front cover had nothing to do with this week's strip so it was quite confusing. Also what's up with Ratz appearing before the contents page again.
Wenlcok and mandeville are back this week and still are terribly unfunny. There also advertising a film there starring in I wonder how few people will actually go and see it.
Gnasher's Bite(e) seems to be just Gnasher and Gnipper with a different title now but this week's strip reminded me of Snip and Snap from Sparky. Also both Retro Beano and Dangerous Dan weren't in the comic this week that was disappointing.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Dangerous Dan was only for six weeks anyway - it's up now.

I think that the biggest difference between Gnasher's Bite and Gnasher and Gnipper is that the focus is now very much on Gnasher, with Gnipper being very much a secondary character and occasional foil (and let's face it, he doesn't look properly like a younger Gnasher any more!)

No Gnasher's Bite next week, but every single strip is in full colour. Wait and see why.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Hmmm, that's got me thinking. You say every strip is in colour next week - I'm assuming Retro Beano is in next week's issue, so maybe the reprints will be of colour strips?

I'm happy to see that Gnipper is reappearing in Gnasher's Bite, though I'm fine with Gnasher being the main character and Gnipper simply the foil. I'd like it even more if his tooth was bigger, I think he looks a bit odd with such a small tooth.

I find placing Ratz before Dennis really strange, and I can't see it lasting. Indeed, I hope it changes back to normal soon, as I dislike having a break in Dennis lasting more than a single page. Even then I'd rather the story continued directly on the other side of the cover, but that's not really possible with a contents page there most weeks.

I agree with Tin Can, Wenlock and Mandeville simply aren't funny! Speaking of the Olympics, I had a few ideas for some Olympic-themed Billy Whizz stories for 2012, the first of which I started drawing a while ago. I haven't finished any of them yet, though.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I agree about Gnipper. He needs his big tooth back. And if that poll is anything to go by, Ratz will be gone completely soon - it's been in last place throughout (Billy Whizz and Pup Parade are both on 3% as well, but Ratz was stuck on 2% until the last day or two).
AndyB wrote:Dangerous Dan was only for six weeks anyway - it's up now.

I think that the biggest difference between Gnasher's Bite and Gnasher and Gnipper is that the focus is now very much on Gnasher, with Gnipper being very much a secondary character and occasional foil (and let's face it, he doesn't look properly like a younger Gnasher any more!)

No Gnasher's Bite next week, but every single strip is in full colour. Wait and see why.
Well thanks to Retro Beano's absence, every strip was full colour this week as well! Wenlock and Mandeville is presumably what pushed Retro out, but it'll only take up one page once that movie ad disappears, so Retro shouldn't lose it's spot in future.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Although I may suffer the wrath of Jonny but it would be a travesty if they dropped Ratz due to a poll and kept Billy Whizz and Ball Boy. Even when I was a nipper I didn't like Ball Boy, the strip seems so tired and dull nowadays.

Of course opinions, opinions, opinions and we all have them.